So if we draft Eli or Ben....

Reaction score
what do we do with McCown?

Usually a rookie QB would be behind a veteran for a year or two. If that is Blake or someone else we bring in, Josh would then be 2nd and the rookie third string? Or Josh starts while the rookie waits to take the reigns? Or we throw the rookie into the fire?

The only thing that makes sense, if we do draft a QB with the 3rd pick, is to trade or cut McCown. Is the Cards front office ready to just flat out cut Josh? I don't think so. Is a trade workable to benefit us? Or are they thinking that Josh would be a good backup for when the one we draft takes over?

I'm just having trouble envisioning the Cards plans if they do indeed take Ben or Eli.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great, for a change, to have the problem on which QB to start because they both give a winning hand???!! :thumbup:

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
How about simply cutting BLAKE, which is no big deal... and then... over the next few years... we find out what we have in McCown and/or Manning / Rothdrsghethhgr...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we keep both Blake and McCown next year (unless we can bring in a Brunell or Warner for a year or two, then we cut Blake).

But, I agree that it doesn't make sense to keep both the Rook and McCown in the long run. We know McCown holds some promise. Let's figure out if the new guy does, too...then trade McCown (provided the rook looks as good as advertised).

I just think QB controversies aren't good for teams--particularly those that don't historically know how to win.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
How about simply cutting BLAKE, which is no big deal... and then... over the next few years... we find out what we have in McCown and/or Manning / Rothdrsghethhgr...

chances are the new coach will go into camp with Blake starting, McCown as the second and either the draft pick and or Parsons sitting in the third spot. The coach will say Blake is the starter because he's the vet, but I'm sure McCown will have every chance to take it away from Blake. The rookie will sit for at least half the season. Blake will be here next season because he's experienced.

If Blake or McCown are smart, one of them will be meeting up with Q, Johnson, Poole, and Gilmore this summer and try to improve their timing. That's what will win them the starting job.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
chances are the new coach will go into camp with Blake starting, McCown as the second and either the draft pick and or Parsons sitting in the third spot. The coach will say Blake is the starter because he's the vet.

Mac is gone lol. No more your the vet so you automatically start and cant lose your job.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
Mac is gone lol. No more your the vet so you automatically start and cant lose your job.

I hear ya, but I'm talking about the beginning of camp. If our new coach says Eli or Ben is the starter at the beginning of camp, I will really be fearing their judgement.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Agree

Agree.....and why don't you learn how to spell old man.....it's Roethlisberger.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way the Cards should cut McCown!!!!! He won't get much in trade value at this point either. He obviously needs another year of seasoning and that has to be on the Cards roster. If he is 1st, 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at this point isn't as important as the Cards getting a better idea of what they have in this physically gifted QB.

A team can't cut talent because they are afraid at some point there may be a tough decision on who should be the starter. That's typically a good thing.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
No way the Cards should cut McCown!!!!! He won't get much in trade value at this point either. He obviously needs another year of seasoning and that has to be on the Cards roster. If he is 1st, 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at this point isn't as important as the Cards getting a better idea of what they have in this physically gifted QB.

A team can't cut talent because they are afraid at some point there may be a tough decision on who should be the starter. That's typically a good thing.

If I learned anything this year, it was that starting with the first team makes all the difference. I thought McCown sucked, but once he got the reps in with the first team I now think he's pretty good. He's very,very raw, but the talent is there.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Re: Agree

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Agree.....and why don't you learn how to spell old man.....it's Roethlisberger.

Do you know the meaning of Curmudgeon? If you do... then you'd know that the ill-temper is usually associated with a little grey before you claim it as a monikor.. and you wouldn't be making snide remarks about age.

If you don't... spelling is the least of your problems.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by FarAwayFanatic
what do we do with McCown?

Usually a rookie QB would be behind a veteran for a year or two. If that is Blake or someone else we bring in, Josh would then be 2nd and the rookie third string? Or Josh starts while the rookie waits to take the reigns? Or we throw the rookie into the fire?

The only thing that makes sense, if we do draft a QB with the 3rd pick, is to trade or cut McCown. Is the Cards front office ready to just flat out cut Josh? I don't think so. Is a trade workable to benefit us? Or are they thinking that Josh would be a good backup for when the one we draft takes over?

I'm just having trouble envisioning the Cards plans if they do indeed take Ben or Eli.

You always need two or more good QB's. They get hurt and do not pan out. One team this year had all three go down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chances are the new coach will go into camp with Blake starting, McCown as the second and either the draft pick and or Parsons sitting in the third spot. The coach will say Blake is the starter because he's the vet, but I'm sure McCown will have every chance to take it away from Blake. The rookie will sit for at least half the season. Blake will be here next season because he's experienced.

If Blake or McCown are smart, one of them will be meeting up with Q, Johnson, Poole, and Gilmore this summer and try to improve their timing. That's what will win them the starting job.

Blake will probably start, Josh as the backup, rookie as #3 exactly how we handled it with Graham starting, Case backup, Jake #3.

When Rookie is ready, he'll move up and by the end of the year he'll likely be the starter and you hope to trade Blake to a team looking for a QB.

I'm a little LESS optimistic today we get a QB in the draft I made a mental list of teams wanting one and it sure appears to me if the Raiders do NOT want a QB, they can move down to someone who does(like the GIants) and still get a Williams, Taylor or Wilfork if not Fitzgerald who is apparently THE guy Al Davis covets. The Cards may HAVE to trade with Oakland to ensure we can get Ben if we want him, I just don't see us doing that.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Let Blake,McCown and who ever we draft fight it out in training. Leftwich made it as the starter as a rookie.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
The Cards may HAVE to trade with Oakland to ensure we can get Ben if we want him, I just don't see us doing that.

If teams trade up and rob us of an opportunity to take Ben or Eli, so be it. My worst case scenario would be that we give up day-one picks or talent to move up one spot.

As much as I'd like to have Roethlisberger, I could also be content with going into next Season with McCown as the starter and drafting an impact CB in round one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
Let Blake,McCown and who ever we draft fight it out in training. Leftwich made it as the starter as a rookie.

And he did it exactly the way I said we should. Leftwich was behind Brunell and Garrard opening day, he passed Garrard, and then got the start when Brunell got hurt and never looked back.

It's quite common in the NFL to do it that way.

If McCown beats out Blake in camp you might try to trade Jeff then but if not, he's an experienced backup until Ben is ready.

If we get Ben.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

If I didn't know anything about the team, and watched the QB play this year, I'd have a hard time believing that Blake is the experienced Veteran and McCown the young pup. To me they both looked young and inexperienced, but McCown had much more athletic ability. If it were my call I think I'd dump Blake before training camp.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
I say McCown #1, Rookie #2, Parsons #3

Yeah, I totally agree swd. After the rumors of Blake being called "leon" by his teammates, and the fact that McCown has outplayed him in games, I highly doubt Blake will be back next year. Take the cap hit and start over with Josh, Ben, and Parsons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave