So Far, So Good

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I doubt the Cards will get much additional help from this draft, except maybe special teams. Nonetheless this has been a successful draft.

First I’ve already indicated I liked the trade. Most observers did too. The ones who didn’t like it, IMO, failed to note the difference between the Cards’ offense and the Ravens’. It’s night and day. I think Brown will be far more productive than Kirk was, especially considering how much he accomplished in Baltimore while being double-teamed. Also, I can’t recall who posted it (sorry), but don’t fail to note the difference in Brown’s number when Jackson was on the field. Now add a better passer, like Murray, and I expect major production.

Some people view McBride as surplus. I don’t. Williams has improved greatly in this offense as a pass catcher, but he’s still much better as a blocker. McBride gives the Cards 2 excellent receivers at TE, which will create huge matchup problems for the defense. If Murray can learn to use progressions, this might be the best passing offense in the NFL. I know, the line has to hold up. If it does, this could be Air Coryell all over again.

Then there’s the new Edges. I don’t know how fast they will adapt to the NFL. I do know, if properly used, they will be disruptive. Good evaluators are split on which is best. I think Thomas is more balanced, but Sanders will be more disruptive as a pass rusher. He needs discipline and maturity, but he has unique tools that make him unusually hard to handle. On passing downs, put Watt in the middle which will enhance Thomas’ favorite inside move. Thomas is at end and Sanders behind him at OLB. Then just turn them lose. Watch people try to line up a blocking angle on Sanders. Move him up near, but not to the line. He’ll be by the blockers before they know he’s there; Ninja pass rush! BTW don’t be misled by the concerns about Sanders’ strength. He has enough upper body power that when his agility gets blockers off balance, his use of leverage is exceptional. He of can knock bigger blockers aside. Sadly much will come down to how Joseph uses these rush components. Hopefully Davis will be given the opportunity to play around with these guys. There’s more versatility of movement and speed than is often seen. It will be very disorienting for blockers if they just let them fly to the QB. They’ll need to polish their ability to seal the deal, but we’ve seen with Golden how disruptive just QB pressures can be.

For me this is an A draft; maybe Keim’s best. It’s true he didn’t fortify the trenches, especially offense-wise. He’s anticipating he’s added enough quality skill players that the offense can get the ball out quickly most of the time. Kingsbury may have to keep a back in or rollout the QB, but this receiver group will provide options. He must adapt. Stopping the run game is a concern, though this is an increasingly pass happy league. There are/will be free agents who can help. Time to do a little restructuring. Thomas will have to hold up against the run until help arrives.

I think this team is better than last year’s. Jones’ loss was the last major hurdle. Considering he was inconsistent, most of that loss has been offset. The offense is better.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks again Harry, you ae the best! I do like the draft and feel they have improved. I also think that there will be some contract restructuring and Keim will sign some free agent vets to plug some of the holes that will still be there after the draft. He was being very patient on this for a reason.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Great analysis and I agree with most of it. I do question the “Brown will be far more productive than Kirk” take though, mainly because all of the weapons we have on offense and everyone getting their fair share. I think that Brown will be as productive or slightly more so than Kirk, which would be on par with the past history of both players. But, I think that Brown will replicate/slightly exceed his numbers last year in Baltimore while being much more efficient in doing so - given he won’t be as big a focal point in the offense.

I read an article saying that Brown’s number of pass attempts of 20+ yards last year was 61, off which he caught 16 and had 4 drops. This indicates Lamar wasn’t very accurate getting him the ball downfield. I think Brown could easily end up with 16 or more of those 20+ yard catches, but do so on far less than 61 attempts. His ability to take the top off the defense and hit home runs will be a big addition to our offense, as well.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great analysis and I agree with most of it. I do question the “Brown will be far more productive than Kirk” take though, mainly because all of the weapons we have on offense and everyone getting their fair share. I think that Brown will be as productive or slightly more so than Kirk, which would be on par with the past history of both players. But, I think that Brown will replicate/slightly exceed his numbers last year in Baltimore while being much more efficient in doing so - given he won’t be as big a focal point in the offense.

I read an article saying that Brown’s number of pass attempts of 20+ yards last year was 61, off which he caught 16 and had 4 drops. This indicates Lamar wasn’t very accurate getting him the ball downfield. I think Brown could easily end up with 16 or more of those 20+ yard catches, but do so on far less than 61 attempts. His ability to take the top off the defense and hit home runs will be a big addition to our offense, as well.

Lamar's throws flutter even in the 10 to 20-yard range.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Murray completed like 61% of his deep balls last year which is elite.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's fake news that there isn't a bunch of players who can help the Cardinals after the draft.
There are, especially front seven where we need obviously
Offensive line not too much that's why i would try to see if we can trade for a veteran with a future pick

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are, especially front seven where we need obviously
Offensive line not too much that's why i would try to see if we can trade for a veteran with a future pick

Keim sees the line set this year

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

The main difference between Brown and Kirk is that Brown is also a big play, hence a score, waiting to happen. Kirk was lauded in the draft as being a terror once he got the ball in his hands with RAC yards but seldom did he ever show he could do that on the pro level... if I had a choice of WRs, I would take Brown over Kirk all day for what we run

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty good draft IMO. BUT, it will be 3 years down the line to really tell the tale, also IMO.

Like the trade and like the draft overall.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose