So BA was telling the truth...

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I knew there was some inside dealings going on, because Keim did love Mahomes as well and I thought he was going to fall for us. Draftniks had him as a mid pick. Then all of a sudden the Chiefs jumped ahead of us (so did Houston) to snatch their respective qb’s and the rest is history…ugh. It was really sudden how both those teams got ahead of us thar day.

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
hard to know what the hell is going on in this interview. It’s obviously edited, it’s so choppy. Is the full interview anywhere?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow... so he tipped the Chiefs off so that he'd be drafted by them instead of by the Texans or Cards! :bang:

...dave

I wonder what the Cards future looks like had we drafted Mahomes?

I think fair to say BA doesn't retire. Mahomes sits a year behind Palmer and is ready to start in 2018 when Palmer retires.

In the 2018 draft we stand pat at 15 and with Mahomes set to start and a WR core who's best talent is an aging Fitz they draft DJ Moore in round 1 instead of Kirk in round 2.

That one change of staying at 13 instead of moving to 9 vastly changes the outlook of the team. BA stays, we have the best QB in the league, the draft picks and A signings all change to build around Mahomes.

All for the sake of 4 draft spots.

(and trading up to 9 would have saved the Bengals drafting John Ross. Or at least they could have got him at 13 instead with some extra picks)

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Imagine a world where Mahomes is the Cardinals QB…. Man. Sad to think about actually.

I actually listened to this whole podcast yesterday, he raved a ton about Alex smith in helping him be what he is today, along with Coach Reid.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no faith at all in the belief that Mahomes would be the Mahomes he is today if he had come here. NONE at all. This franchise would have ruined him not developed him IMO.

But, I guess one can dream any outcome they want in a scenario like this. It's all good.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no faith at all in the belief that Mahomes would be the Mahomes he is today if he had come here. NONE at all. This franchise would have ruined him not developed him IMO.

But, I guess one can dream any outcome they want in a scenario like this. It's all good.

I don't believe that. Had we drafted Mahomes BA would have stayed for sure.

Carson Palmer would have helped Mahomes in the same way that Alex Smith did.

BA's coaching and scheme with Mahomes arm would have been fire.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Well, like I said, you can believe anything in the scenario and would be neither right nor wrong because it didn't happen. So we'll never know.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

I don’t think BA would have stayed. Something happened between either he and Keim or Mike B. Very weird the way he left. Maybe he got sick of Mike B micromanaging. It’s really weird that he watches film with Kliff. He needs to distance himself so he can be objective about how the team is performing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Drafting 101, if you want a player and are worried he may not be there you move up and get him. ARZ was high on 4 or 5 guys at #13, Reddick being one of them. Too bad, Keim could have had a first round hit, a rarity for him.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think BA would have stayed. Something happened between either he and Keim or Mike B. Very weird the way he left. Maybe he got sick of Mike B micromanaging. It’s really weird that he watches film with Kliff. He needs to distance himself so he can be objective about how the team is performing.

He 100% left because he knew Palmer was retiring and they had sweet FA at QB.

I know Palmers announcement came after BA but they Org knew about it weeks before.

He could see the losses coming down the road. Had he mahomes in waiting I'm sure he would have stayed. Not least of which is him saying how much he loved Mahomes and he was more impressed with him than any QB he's worked with coming out.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Couldn’t a
Couldn't agree more and this is why Kliffy will be here next year as he gets a chance every Monday to justify to a non-football minded Bidwill how great the offensive scheme is and why he didn’t adjust this or that.. and went for it here.. didn’t call a time out here etc

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder what the Cards future looks like had we drafted Mahomes?

I think fair to say BA doesn't retire. Mahomes sits a year behind Palmer and is ready to start in 2018 when Palmer retires.

In the 2018 draft we stand pat at 15 and with Mahomes set to start and a WR core who's best talent is an aging Fitz they draft DJ Moore in round 1 instead of Kirk in round 2.

That one change of staying at 13 instead of moving to 9 vastly changes the outlook of the team. BA stays, we have the best QB in the league, the draft picks and A signings all change to build around Mahomes.

All for the sake of 4 draft spots.

(and trading up to 9 would have saved the Bengals drafting John Ross. Or at least they could have got him at 13 instead with some extra picks)
But hey, Keim got his "force a different position" toy Reddick and wasted his talent in ILB for three years.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FFS. I forgot that you have been speaking with BA over the years so you are an authority on why he makes decisions. Do you ever re-read your posts? “He 100%” blah blah blah. The only thing that is 100% is that you have NO WAY OF KNOWING or proving why he left so stop presenting your opinions as facts.
I mean… is it that far fetched? No… why are you so bent out of shape about his opinion lmao

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The same Palmer who quit on the Bengals and didn’t help Dalton when he was drafted?? What in the world make you think that he would’ve helped Mahomes? Funny you can make that positive assertion about him but believe negative assertions without proof like Kyler not being able to grasp Payton’s offense

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same Palmer who quit on the Bengals and didn’t help Dalton when he was drafted?? What in the world make you think that he would’ve helped Mahomes? Funny you can make that positive assertion about him but believe negative assertions without proof like Kyler not being able to grasp Payton’s offense

Palmer knew he was retiring soon. He'd have no reason to not help. Big difference between helping a guy who going to force you out of your job and one your going to give it to.

Kyler has run the same basic verbiage and playbook his whole football life. He'll be 26 next season. Its a huge ask to go from running 66H or Colts for 10 years to running Gun Flex Right Stack Dragon Smoke Kill Turbo Sucker Right or Y2 Green Off Right Nasty Hound 2 y Flutie X Basics Backs Right and understand and master all that new verbiage.

Dude can't read a defense now. How's he going have to do it in a far more complicated scheme?

But this whole thread is speculation. Who knows?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
After Watson got off to a hot start his rookie year and Mahomes was sitting behind Alex Smith it was Watson who the Cards would’ve picked. We know nothing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Drafting 101, if you want a player and are worried he may not be there you move up and get him. ARZ was high on 4 or 5 guys at #13, Reddick being one of them. Too bad, Keim could have had a first round hit, a rarity for him.
I'll bang my shoe on the table about this one again, but you can't just "move up." It takes a willing partner, and you have to be competitive against other teams that may be offering something more aggressive.

The Chiefs and the Texans both made aggressive moves involving first round picks. We can't 100% know if BA & co. made an offer, but if teams are telling us that they have a first round pick available to them, there's really no way we could have reasonably matched. Remember, Watson and Mahomes weren't considered top ten or even first round locks, with tons of rumors swirling around that they wouldn't go until late. I wanted to draft one of the two of them, and plenty of people here were insistent that if we wanted to reach for them, we could probably trade back and snag an extra pick or two for the risk.

And that's the thing... there's no guarantee either player would pan out. There's no guarantee a potential trade up would have been for Mahomes instead of Trubisky or Watson (who was still good, but useless overall for the Texans). We'd be crushing Keim even harder if he gave up a first rounder to move up 1-3 spots for a QB we all swore would be available in the 20s. Especially with a "win now" roster.

Long rant, sorry, but I'm tired of anything but the 20/20 hindsight that we could have given up like a 3rd or 4th round pick to leapfrog teams offering up a first, and that either player would have thrived here.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You’re partially correct. I’ve stated on this board a few times that BASK were from York, PA, and not only have I had a few drinks with both of them, I know their closest friends. BASK definitely wanted Mahomes, and were PISSED that KC came out of the 20’s to snatch him up. It was BA’s revenge that TB kicked his butt in the SB. I do believe that had we drafted Mahomes, then BA may have stayed. But, Palmer was done. He would not have been around to tutor Mahomes. Like Murray, Mahomes would have started from day 1. And yes, that would have hurt Mahomes’s development for sure.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll bang my shoe on the table about this one again, but you can't just "move up." It takes a willing partner, and you have to be competitive against other teams that may be offering something more aggressive.

The Chiefs and the Texans both made aggressive moves involving first round picks. We can't 100% know if BA & co. made an offer, but if teams are telling us that they have a first round pick available to them, there's really no way we could have reasonably matched. Remember, Watson and Mahomes weren't considered top ten or even first round locks, with tons of rumors swirling around that they wouldn't go until late. I wanted to draft one of the two of them, and plenty of people here were insistent that if we wanted to reach for them, we could probably trade back and snag an extra pick or two for the risk.

And that's the thing... there's no guarantee either player would pan out. There's no guarantee a potential trade up would have been for Mahomes instead of Trubisky or Watson (who was still good, but useless overall for the Texans). We'd be crushing Keim even harder if he gave up a first rounder to move up 1-3 spots for a QB we all swore would be available in the 20s. Especially with a "win now" roster.

Long rant, sorry, but I'm tired of anything but the 20/20 hindsight that we could have given up like a 3rd or 4th round pick to leapfrog teams offering up a first, and that either player would have thrived here.
You went on a long rant to say you need a trade partner to move up and there is no guarantee players pan out.

First, like I said, if you really want a player and think they will be a cornerstone piece then you spend the draft capital necessary. Teams may not be looking to trade down but if a team calls them and makes a sweet enough offer especially if its only to drop 4 or 5 spots most teams will do that in a heartbeat as long as there is not a known franchise guy sitting there at their pick but even the teams may feel they can get their guy and pick up additional picks. ARZ moved up to get Budda Baker in that draft because they really liked him.Andy Reid really wanted Mahomes and traded a premium for him with 2 first rounders but he needed to move up 17 spots to jump in front of HOU, that's Drafting 101.

Next, you mention that there was no guarantee Mahomes or Watson would pan out, duh, there are no guarantees in drafting guys not named Peyton Manning, the draft in general is a crap shoot. But if BA felt he could turn Mahomes or Watson into Big Ben then it would have been worth the picks given up.

Gambo mentioned back then that ARZ was not interested in either Mahomes or Trubisky at #13 thinking they could be had later, well if true Keim really miscalculated. Keim would have really looked like a fool trading back thinking he could get Mahomes when it wouldn't have mattered.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're never going to outbid a team moving up from the late 20s.

Which is why you go past them. We could have traded with the Bengals. The Bengals could have moved back 4 and still got John Ross.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re partially correct. I’ve stated on this board a few times that BASK were from York, PA, and not only have I had a few drinks with both of them, I know their closest friends. BASK definitely wanted Mahomes, and were PISSED that KC came out of the 20’s to snatch him up. It was BA’s revenge that TB kicked his butt in the SB. I do believe that had we drafted Mahomes, then BA may have stayed. But, Palmer was done. He would not have been around to tutor Mahomes. Like Murray, Mahomes would have started from day 1. And yes, that would have hurt Mahomes’s development for sure.

But Mahomes was drafted in 2017. Palmer didn't retire until 2018.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose