Smokescreen Draft Scenario

Parttheredsea

Reaction score
So I hope the Kyler Murray talk is a smokescreen. If it is and the Card's are committed to Rosen I hope they build the offense around him. Give him a chance to be successful. In this scenario does anyone think the following could be a possibility?

Trade the #1 pick to SF for the #2 pick, #67 pick (3rd round) and their 2020 3rd round pick.

This gives SF Bosa who I think they really want. It's also a very similar trade to what SF did with the bears a few years ago.

Follow this with another trade. Trading #2 pick to JAX for the #7 pick, #38 pick (2nd round), #109 (4th round), and 2020 1st round pick.

JAX may get Files in Free Agency but he is at best a stop gap for a young guy. This gives them their QB of the future/now.

At #7 the Card's should still be able to get either D.K. Metcalf, Jawaan Taylor, or Jonah Williams. Follow this with now having an addition 3 picks in 2019 and 2 picks in 2020 to retool a roster that has a lot of holes. Could be fun.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the concern on him is he basically again played 1 year. Great year, looks like a beast, but only 1 year.

I mean, that's pretty much the take on Bosa and Allen too :shrug:

I am way too nervous on Murray. He is essentially a 1 year starter as are Bosa, Allen, Williams.

My problem with Murray besides body style is that he has gone AWOL from all of the post season opportunities to flash his "brilliance".

No Senior Bowl
No East West
No Combine

Seems as if he is hiding something or is being over managed. He is late to the party and has had numerous opportunities to flash his skill set. Right now I view him as a Twittersphere rock star.

Bosa has a skinny resume of work. 1 year , no 2018 season, no post season, but at least showed up for Combine and worked. Injury history is scary. ACL from high school and most of his brief career he was a rotation player. Same family line that created John Bosa to hold out in a slotted salary NFL.

I am hoping beyond hope Gruden wants Murray and trades up to Cards. I would take that 1st round #4 and another 1st in a heart beat. Toss in a 3rd (need to get back that 3rd Cards used to get Rosen), where the Cards need to make their bones and it is slam dunk time. Mayock seems too smart to do the deal but Gruden runs that show and he is a wild man.

P S. Stay away from Underwear Olympics stars in general. If they measured and performed to expectations, then great. If they shocked the world.... beware. But I do love me some Miles Boykin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...s-a-231-overall-pick-or-not/ar-BBUcnTL#page=2

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am way too nervous on Murray. He is essentially a 1 year starter as are Bosa, Allen, Williams.

My problem with Murray besides body style is that he has gone AWOL from all of the post season opportunities to flash his "brilliance".

No Senior Bowl
No East West
No Combine

Seems as if he is hiding something or is being over managed. He is late to the party and has had numerous opportunities to flash his skill set. Right now I view him as a Twittersphere rock star.

Bosa has a skinny resume of work. 1 year , no 2018 season, no post season, but at least showed up for Combine and worked. Injury history is scary. ACL from high school and most of his brief career he was a rotation player. Same family line that created John Bosa to hold out in a slotted salary NFL.

I am hoping beyond hope Gruden wants Murray and trades up to Cards. I would take that 1st round #4 and another 1st in a heart beat. Toss in a 3rd (need to get back that 3rd Cards used to get Rosen), where the Cards need to make their bones and it is slam dunk time. Mayock seems too smart to do the deal but Gruden runs that show and he is a wild man.

P S. Stay away from Underwear Olympics stars in general. If they measured and performed to expectations, then great. If they shocked the world.... beware. But I do love me some Miles Boykin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...s-a-231-overall-pick-or-not/ar-BBUcnTL#page=2

Bosa played 29 college games. He had one year as a full time starter, but he's also a kid who's extremely polished, I don't see lack of PT as his issie at all.

By the time of the draft we'll have had months to look at the knee and the other injury and see if it's a big risk or not. ANd we'll have had months to discuss money with him. They will know if he's going to be a problem or not. The knee from everything I've read was not bad for an ACL, nothing else just the ACL and healed well. The other injury the core one is the more scary one.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

No Senior Bowl
No East West
No Combine

To be fair to Murray he couldn’t do the Senior Bowl or EW game as he wasn’t a Senior...but him not doing a single thing at the combine other than height/weight is a red flag IMO. He basically put on weight and then refused to do any physical exercises at that weight, I hope he gets weighed again at his pro day before his workouts (if he does indeed workout).

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought they changed the eligibility rules to include "all players eligible to be drafted". Guess not so ....ooops.

PS Murray was a true freshman in 2015 @ Tex A & M.

P S S. I feel Pro Days are diluted evaluations. I would even discount his performance there, including interviews. Way too comfortable environment

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
P S S. I feel Pro Days are diluted evaluations. I would even discount his performance there, including interviews. Way too comfortable environment

Totally agree, college pro days are completely scripted ahead of time especially for QBs as he is throwing to guys he knows, in his normal practice or playing environment, you’d have to just collapse to do bad in that situation. They are set up to make their players look good.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
38 yard downhill running track.
Indoors, fans blowing in direction of throws.

:biglaugh:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I hope the Kyler Murray talk is a smokescreen. If it is and the Card's are committed to Rosen I hope they build the offense around him. Give him a chance to be successful. In this scenario does anyone think the following could be a possibility?

Trade the #1 pick to SF for the #2 pick, #67 pick (3rd round) and their 2020 3rd round pick.

This gives SF Bosa who I think they really want. It's also a very similar trade to what SF did with the bears a few years ago.

Follow this with another trade. Trading #2 pick to JAX for the #7 pick, #38 pick (2nd round), #109 (4th round), and 2020 1st round pick.

JAX may get Files in Free Agency but he is at best a stop gap for a young guy. This gives them their QB of the future/now.

At #7 the Card's should still be able to get either D.K. Metcalf, Jawaan Taylor, or Jonah Williams. Follow this with now having an addition 3 picks in 2019 and 2 picks in 2020 to retool a roster that has a lot of holes. Could be fun.

If the cardinals do all that to draft Metcalf, Taylor or Jonah Williams I will break my damn tv. They should fire SK on the spot

OP
OP
P

Parttheredsea

Reaction score
If a trade with SF is off the table as it's within the division I could also see a trade with Oakland as I am sure they desperately would want Bosa. The trade could be:

Pick #1 for Pick #4, #27, and #66. That would still lead to a real chance at getting Quinnen Williams.

More importantly than what the trade exactly is I have to disagree with most people posting. This team needs a bunch of good players more than 1 superstar.

If the Card's get Bosa there are still so many other holes. If you can have 5-7 picks in the top 100 picks instead of 3 I think this roster will be way better off.

Maybe even more importantly I think they really really really need to invest in OL/TE/WR over the defensive side of the ball if they want to have any hope of Rosen developing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
There's no way thata JAX is going to pay Foles 20mil a year and trade a bunch of future assets to move up for a QB.

And despite all the extra picks, if after suffering through last year the best guy we get in the draft is Metcalf or one of the two tackles, I will cancel my season tickets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
More importantly than what the trade exactly is I have to disagree with most people posting. This team needs a bunch of good players more than 1 superstar.

If the Card's get Bosa there are still so many other holes. If you can have 5-7 picks in the top 100 picks instead of 3 I think this roster will be way better off.

Maybe even more importantly I think they really really really need to invest in OL/TE/WR over the defensive side of the ball if they want to have any hope of Rosen developing.

I am guessing you weren’t around when the Cardinals passed on a superstar for just a couple of players...Suggs would have had a bigger impact on this franchise than Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson did. Sometimes 1 superstar is worth more than 2+ players.

The next year we stayed pat and drafted Fitz despite drafting 2 WRs in the previous draft, the Cards followed that with Dansby and Dockett...our best draft ever did not involve moving up or down.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
From everything which has transpired so far, it does not likely seem the Cardinals are taking Murray. Why? Because if you truly believe Murray was better than a QB you traded up into the top ten for, then that first pick of the draft could not be bought by anyone and you would openly let people know so and that Rosen is up for grabs. What if the Cardinals view the comparisons are close, then you do not tell anyone and do exactly what they are doing but you do not draft Murray by such a slim margin after Josh has a year under his belt and you already have paid him a bulk of that initial rookie salary making him an inexpensive piece of the puzzle... but you drive up the bluff to entice another team to trade a boat load of picks for the first because Josh is your guy all along

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
From everything which has transpired so far, it does not likely seem the Cardinals are taking Murray. Why? Because if you truly believe Murray was better than a QB you traded up into the top ten for, then that first pick of the draft could not be bought by anyone and you would openly let people know so and that Rosen is up for grabs. What if the Cardinals view the comparisons are close, then you do not tell anyone and do exactly what they are doing but you do not draft Murray by such a slim margin after Josh has a year under his belt and you already have paid him a bulk of that initial rookie salary making him an inexpensive piece of the puzzle... but you drive up the bluff to entice another team to trade a boat load of picks for the first because Josh is your guy all along

You have to be 100% sold on Murray and then some to trade Rosen. I’m not high on Rosen and thought UCLA’s problems on offense had a lot to do with his decision making than people think but there’s not a significant gap between the two. I still predict they move down to #6.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever happens, the Cardinals aren't making their decision until after Murray's pro day.

Of course, it's March 13th, the worst possible day for the Cardinals brass to all be sitting at a pro day in Oklahoma.

We are so screwed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever happens, the Cardinals aren't making their decision until after Murray's pro day.

Of course, it's March 13th, the worst possible day for the Cardinals brass to all be sitting at a pro day in Oklahoma.

We are so screwed.

Nobody from the Cards showing up for his pro day would be a first class troll.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson