Sleeper QB option in the draft - Kyle Allen

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
This is a long segment on the Rich Eisen show but I enjoy listening to Jordan Palmer. For the Cardinals talk you have to wait for the 21:00 mark or so and it's brief. But, I found it intriguing that Allen has been working with Darnold and Allen and that he's actually better at the board than either of them and is matching them throw for throw. Granted, it's in QB camp but he's the type of name, like Lauletta, that I find interesting.

Apparently, Kyle Allen has just been in some screwy situations in college so his numbers and resume' aren't what the other guys have but he's got all the tools, just been in a bad situation.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
"He's an Arizona kid and Arizona(Cardinals) love him."

Junior highlights

Sophomore highlights

He's 6'3", 211 lbs and from Scottsdale.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t know if Allen’s story is highlighted in the video. I will watch it later as I unfortunately don’t have the time right now.

Kyle Allen was ranked as the #1 pro style-quarterback coming out of high school, and he was offered scholarships by all the biggest programs. In the end, he committed to Texas A&M where he was seen as the heir to Johnny Manziel. Allen played well for one and a half season but after he has led them to a 5-0 record in year two, he was benched after one bad game.

He then transferred to the Houston Cougars, and due to the rules, he had to sit out for an entire season. He then became the starter, but after leading the team to a 2-1 record, he was benched in the fourth game. The coaching staff wanted to implement a system were the quarterback ran a lot more, and they deemed Allen unsuitable for that role, which he probably was.

The story with Allen in Houston is that he originally decided to transfer to the school because they had Tom Herman as their head coach, and he persuaded Allen to come aboard. By the time Allen had fulfilled the requirements of sitting out for a season, Tom Herman was appointed as the head coach of the University of Texas. His successor, Major Applewhite, wanted to put his own stamp on the team, and since the replacement for Kyle Allen in the aforementioned game played well, he became the starter going forward. Kyle Allen had the options of being a backup the next season, transferring to another school, where he didn’t have to sit out for a year since he already graduated, or he could declare for the draft. He obviously decided to take option number three. Not long after he made his decision, the Cougars would hire a new offensive coordinator, but by then Allen had already hired an agent so he couldn’t turn back.

Allen was partly benched both places because he made too many turnovers, but as he has all the physical tools, supposedly is very smart and maybe was just the victim of bad luck and being at the wrong places at the wrong time, he sure is an intriguing and fascinating prospect.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Hard to develop a prospect with so little game time at a high level. Trubisky is one of very few who has adapted well but even he had more meaningful game time.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t know if Allen’s story is highlighted in the video. I will watch it later as I unfortunately don’t have the time right now.

Kyle Allen was ranked as the #1 pro style-quarterback coming out of high school, and he was offered scholarships by all the biggest programs. In the end, he committed to Texas A&M where he was seen as the heir to Johnny Manziel. Allen played well for one and a half season but after he has led them to a 5-0 record in year two, he was benched after one bad game.

He then transferred to the Houston Cougars, and due to the rules, he had to sit out for an entire season. He then became the starter, but after leading the team to a 2-1 record, he was benched in the fourth game. The coaching staff wanted to implement a system were the quarterback ran a lot more, and they deemed Allen unsuitable for that role, which he probably was.

The story with Allen in Houston is that he originally decided to transfer to the school because they had Tom Herman as their head coach, and he persuaded Allen to come aboard. By the time Allen had fulfilled the requirements of sitting out for a season, Tom Herman was appointed as the head coach of the University of Texas. His successor, Major Applewhite, wanted to put his own stamp on the team, and since the replacement for Kyle Allen in the aforementioned game played well, he became the starter going forward. Kyle Allen had the options of being a backup the next season, transferring to another school, where he didn’t have to sit out for a year since he already graduated, or he could declare for the draft. He obviously decided to take option number three. Not long after he made his decision, the Cougars would hire a new offensive coordinator, but by then Allen had already hired an agent so he couldn’t turn back.

Allen was partly benched both places because he made too many turnovers, but as he has all the physical tools, supposedly is very smart and maybe was just the victim of bad luck and being at the wrong places at the wrong time, he sure is an intriguing and fascinating prospect.

I saw this kid play several games in high school and I have never seen anyone live in the high school or college ranks that had his vision. This kid was not only pinpoint accurate, lightning quick release but he could work to deep progressions 4 sometimes 5. It looked like an NFL QB vs Pop Warner kids. Was incredibly impressed. He had some terrible luck with coaches as mentioned above. Kevin Sumlin was despised by many, but probably no more than the many QBs and their families that came and left. Word was they didn't trust him at all and believed him to be a liar. The most notable losses at QB were Allen, Kyler Murray and Kenny Hill. Should be interesting to see how he operates at U of A.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/112251/how-they-got-here-a-texas-am-qb-timeline

https://www.si.com/college-football...ray-transfer-texas-am-kevin-sumlin-kyle-allen

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am...n-why-texas-am-qb-kyler-murray-seeks-transfer

We have all seen many great high school QBs that don't make it in college and College stars who are NFL busts so who knows what the kid has today. I do think some of his skills and his mechanics are so well developed it would not surprise me if we hear his name surface in a couple years. Remember Matt Cassel wasn't even a starter in college and carved out a career. If the Cards are interested in him they don't need to go far for a reference. Kurt Warner coached him in high school.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go all in on Kyle Allen, but if they do select a quarterback in the first round, I would not mind it at all if they also took Kyle Allen in the later rounds.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It's doubtful with the many holes this team is trying to fill right now that they go QB early in this draft. OL, WR, RB, TE, CB, ILB, DE are still all basic need areas.

Chances are they draft a QB project later on in the draft unless someone really falls into their laps they really want to groom as QBOF forgoing the immediate needs.

So he could be their shot at a rook QB.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I watched many many Aggie games & I can tell you personally this kid is atrocious & has no chance at starting in the nfl.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the problem with A & M Qbs was Kevin Sumlin. Manziel admitted he knew nothing about Pro offenses coming out. Others have failed at the next level.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards are looking at another QB. Chad Kanoff:

Princeton

Twelve teams were able to make it to the Princeton workout to watch quarterback Chad Kanoff. More were expected, but the nor’easter up the east coast made travel impossible for number of people.

Kanoff did not disappoint those on hand.

The big-armed passer measured in at 6-foot-4 and 219 pounds, timed 4.90 in the 40 and posted a vertical jump of 32.5 inches. His hands measured 10-1/4 inches, a big number for a quarterback. Kanoff threw 55 passes; all had excellent velocity, and all were on the money.

The Giants, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers and Indianapolis Colts have all shown a lot of interest in Kanoff and were in attendance today. The Cardinals intended to have multiple people on hand, but the weather prevented some from attending.

The quarterback-needy Jets, ironically, did not attend the workout.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-9-auburn-rutgers-princeton

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I discounted this based on my notes on Kyle Allen. However, I did a little asking around this week because of the Darnold & Josh Allen (no relation to Kyle) connection. Kyle Allen is living now with these 2 and they’re all in a prgram called QB Summit. Jordan Palmer is essentially the mentor. Before you get too excited last year another group had Ryan Lindley doing the same thing with Mitch Trubisky. My belief is these guys can somewhat polish these prospects, but they can’t make a star or even a starter out of a mediocre talent. At best Allen is a long shot but might catch on as a backup. I hear he’s coachable and can throw the tree, so maybe. He wouldn’t be my pick, but he will likely go day 3.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I discounted this based on my notes on Kyle Allen. However, I did a little asking around this week because of the Darnold & Josh Allen (no relation to Kyle) connection. Kyle Allen is living now with these 2 and they’re all in a prgram called QB Summit. Jordan Palmer is essentially the mentor. Before you get too excited last year another group had Ryan Lindley doing the same thing with Mitch Trubisky. My belief is these guys can somewhat polish these prospects, but they can’t make a star or even a starter out of a mediocre talent. At best Allen is a long shot but might catch on as a backup. I hear he’s coachable and can throw the tree, so maybe. He wouldn’t be my pick, but he will likely go day 3.
Not sure if you got a chance to watch the video I posted but Palmer covers all of that in the interview.

Speaking of the interview, for whatever it's worth, Palmer said the Cardinals "love" Allen.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the problem with A & M Qbs was Kevin Sumlin. Manziel admitted he knew nothing about Pro offenses coming out. Others have failed at the next level.
I think this isn’t just a problem at A&M, college spread offenses that are everywhere are stunting the development of not only QB but other positions as well, notably OL.

If ARZ is taking a project QB in later rounds I’m hoping it’s JT Barrett. Big game experience at a major school in Big 10, could be next Tyrod Taylor.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
it's a little uncanny how much Jordan looks and talks like his brother Carson

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson