SK Needs To Own This Terrible Offense

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm with a lot of you... McCoy is not a great a OC. I have not been a fan of his play calling and scheming at all. What I saw today though is that he seemed to be taking steps in the right direction. We saw more deep and mid range shots, some screens, but more importantly less of the *face palming* calls in this game.

Once you remove the obvious reasons:
- The play calling today was serviceable, so you can't put it all on that. Not great, but not outright terrible either (like in the first few games).
- Cpt Checkdown was not on the roster today, and we had QB who at times struggled but also gave us life. His struggles could been shaved in half with some support.
- We were playing against a terribly soft opponent that should allow a team with play makers to have a field day.

What are we left with...? The players/talent, and that falls on SK.

This 95% of our offense so far: DJ, Kirk, Fitz and RSJ.

DJ is running like 15 times a game (too low) for like 3 yd avg. Clearly he isn't being used right behind this oline as he should be running outside the tackles more and more rec targets, but he is play maker.

Kirk is our most reliable and dangerous rec threat. But he's 5'10" and built to play in the slot/underneath, and that is where Fitz eats. In this era #1 WRs are tall and physical and can compete for balls without needing separation all the time. It's great we have Kirk, but we really also should have a prototypical star wideout on the field with him that creates coverage problems so Rosen can pick apart defenses.

Fitz is not being utlitized to his potential like in years past but he's managing to contribute.

RSJ is such a liability that I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better TE on the waiver wire.

The other 5% of our offense is:
Chad Williams
Gresham
JJ Nelson
Edmonds and Coleman (RB 2 and FB)

You are not going to be successful when you only have to worry about 3 to 4 players making any impact throughout a game. I don't mean on every play you have to worry about 3 or 4 players... on any given play it might just be 2. Think about how easy it to defend our offense...

We can't move the ball up the gut since our oline can't run block. We can't move the ball running outside the tackles because our coach doesn't believe in that. Our most productive receiver isn't someone who is winning jump balls and fades and is best when competing for the types of routes our most reliable receiver runs. Everyone else either has a case of the drops, can't run routes or avoid penalties, or simply doesn't see the field because they aren't productive.

We have an insane talent gap between our offensive roster and that have basically every one else in the league. Combine that with our oline roster can pass protect better, but can't run block at all, plus we spent a mint on a stop gap QB who was suppose to be awesome that isn't even on the active roster. The person who built this heap is who should own it. It wouldn't matter if Brady was starting for us - we wouldn't be a +.500 team right now. Everyone acts like this is a rebuilding year for us, like half the team just retired all the sudden before the season started. No... the only thing that was different between this year and any other was CP retired, which should have been forecasted and planned for well before that, and that BA retired. The latter is kind of a big thing, but that doesn't keep you from managing your roster.

MB needs to get out of his deal with SK when the season ends or at least take away the proverbial keys and get someone to work under the SK that ultimately becomes the brains behind him. SK got lucky for a couple seasons and instead of seeing it that way, he thinks he can just turn flyers into all-pro's just by willing it. I'd have more respect for him, boom or bust, if he showed some aggressiveness and made trades to get talent we could use instead of waiting for FA that he'll never pay the money to get (because he's over paying under performers) or thru the draft (where we'll waste a lot of our picks and valuable time trying to will them to be better than they).

Once SK is gone is then I will consider it a rebuilding year, because the new GM will have to come in and repair a roster than wasn't properly maintained each year by the previous one.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A well thought out post! You may very well be on to something in the hear and now "scope". I agree with your take 99%.

The Cardinals brass have traditionally been "out of the loop" on NFL trends within their peers. Ten-15 years ago I blamed it on ownership (Bill Bidwill). But this last decade a new rising son was born in Micheal Bidwill!!! New vision. New personality. New stadium. New General Manager.

Under Michael's direction...this franchise has blossomed. The challenge he now has is for him to keep it relevant.

I 99.9% believe THIS is his BABY...and will put in the "whatever" he needs to do to continue the winning culture and potential playoff type teams we Cardinals fans have come to realize in recent years.

What's his vision? He must've saw something in Keim and eventually Wilkes. Lets enjoy this win today. Embrace finally a QB of the future and BUILD for next year and beyond!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
starts up front

the Cards have the worst of both worlds: a well below average offensive line whose cost is above average.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7 first downs? Wilks & Mccoy really out did themselves. Nice.

If not for the turnovers, this game was a carbon copy of the previous 4. This team will not be getting turnovers in these numbers moving forward. This thing is still majorly broken.

Keim had created a hot mess.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kirk is tall enough, but just not stout/strong enough. I'm afraid when playing in the slot and has to go across the middle, he's going to be knocked out of the game by an LB. If JB and JJ could play on the outside, I would think that Kirk can, also.

Two plays that caught my attention, one yesterday (forget the details) and one last week, Rosen's first TD pass. In both I was impressed by the blocking of Jermaine Gresham. Did anyone else notice?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, there isn’t a single top 10 WR that can “compete for balls without needing separation all the time” outside of Mike Evans.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If not for the turnovers, this game was a carbon copy of the previous 4. This team will not be getting turnovers in these numbers moving forward. This thing is still majorly broken.

Keim had created a hot mess.
We actually sat on the lead for 3 1/2 quarters, after kirks td reception. I have never seen that happen before.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fear is we are going to look at this victory as a “ success”. It is not . The play calling was atrocious aside from the very first play. If previous games were 2 this game was a 3.5. No outside runs. No personnel mismatches. No presnap movement. No deception. Telegraphing when we are going to run. No rpo’s. With Rosen not quite on target I think it would have been nice to see a few swing passes to settle him in with some positive yards. And finally McCoy needs to understand it’s okay to pass on second down instead of running into the line and setting up 2nd and 10. If Garoppolo played we would have lost 38 -10. One more thing. Every pass play until further notice should include play action and we should NEVER go empty backfield or Rosen won’t make it through the year.

football karma

Reaction score
in (partial) defense of Mike McCoy:

I think he is hamstrung by the following things:

1. Poor offensive line play -- especially in the run
2. A Rookie QB where they have scaled back the offense
3. A very conservative HC

for three weeks in a row, we have seen an offense that has come out and looked pretty good its first few possessions. But then .........

It seems the offense is limited enough that the D figures out what the Cards are trying to do by the end of the first half ....... and McCoy is basically out of bullets by that time.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Niners were having problems defending the runs outside in previous weeks....So we wait till our last drive to stop running up the middle. Even the announcers said "Well better late than never".

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'll say it again - Keim sold out the past three seasons to try and make it to a Super Bowl with Carson and BA, which left this current team in disarray. I'm never going to fault a GM for selling their soul for a ring, but it made the post Carson/BA era a disaster. I think Keim fixes things next season and gets better talent and coaching, but that literally will make-or-break his career.

cardjunkie

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll say it again - Keim sold out the past three seasons to try and make it to a Super Bowl with Carson and BA, which left this current team in disarray. I'm never going to fault a GM for selling their soul for a ring, but it made the post Carson/BA era a disaster. I think Keim fixes things next season and gets better talent and coaching, but that literally will make-or-break his career.

If true, why wait until next year and not start this year? I know our salary cap is higher but keeping useless players, i.e. Brandon Williams and JJ Nelson, on the team is ridiculous. We already know JJ can't catch so why not promote Toliver and see what he can do with the lights on. Also, keeping an aging Dawson as opposed to potential in McCrane doesn't show he looking at the future.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in (partial) defense of Mike McCoy:

I think he is hamstrung by the following things:

1. Poor offensive line play -- especially in the run
2. A Rookie QB where they have scaled back the offense
3. A very conservative HC

for three weeks in a row, we have seen an offense that has come out and looked pretty good its first few possessions. But then .........

It seems the offense is limited enough that the D figures out what the Cards are trying to do by the end of the first half ....... and McCoy is basically out of bullets by that time.
There are things an offense can do to level the playing surface at least a little. Motion, traps jet sweeps, rpo’s and at the very least scare a defense with our speed. Make them respect Nelson and Kirk. We line up with 8 men on the line with a fb and a tailback. Guess what defense??? We’re running the ball on this play.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If true, why wait until next year and not start this year? I know our salary cap is higher but keeping useless players, i.e. Brandon Williams and JJ Nelson, on the team is ridiculous. We already know JJ can't catch so why not promote Toliver and see what he can do with the lights on. Also, keeping an aging Dawson as opposed to potential in McCrane doesn't show he looking at the future.

Not going to disagree much. B-Will still being on this team is a head scratcher. I can understand JJ because of his speed, but I suspect that if a guy like Rishard Matthews signs, JJ is the odd-man out.

I don't think McCrane was anything special, and you normally don't consider kickers in rebuilds, so Phil Dawson still being on the roster doesn't mean much. I do hope Andy Lee sticks around a few more years.

football karma

Reaction score
There are things an offense can do to level the playing surface at least a little. Motion, traps jet sweeps

I agree

odd that not until very late did we see the jet sweep to Kirk --

that seems like a play you do early in a game to make defenses play honest