Since Gannon Didn’t Excite Me

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I thought I should indicate my primary concern since I one of the few not excited by the hire. When you pick an HC it’s usually someone who brings a special skill that often becomes the core of the team’s identity. Gannon’s claim to fame was primarily the defensive scheme of the Eagles. I’m not sure prior to the last two seasons, anyone saw him on the verge of being an HC. This is not to say he didn’t pay his dues. He clearly earned his way to the DC job.

if you aren’t familiar with his defensive theory; it’s fairly simple. He plays mostly man in pass coverage. The defense, as a whole, is designed to avoid big plays by the offense. He figures if you make them go down the field incrementally, the offense is more likely to make a mistake. He’s not a big fan of blitzing, but then he coached a DL capable of getting to the QB on their own. Turnovers are a large part of his game.

My concerns are first that the Cards’ current offensive capabilities often leave the defense on the field too long. If the Cards’ opponent’s drives tend to be long, that compounds the problem. This could leave the defense exhausted, especially late in games. This means the offense needs to be rebuilt more rapidly than may have been anticipated. Is that possible, especially with Murray out?

The second concern is the way Reid handled Gannon’s defense. Did his game plan reveal basic flaws in the defensive strategy that must be corrected so many teams can’t take advantage? Perhaps some small adjustments will correct the issue. I’m just not certain. Clearly those adjustments weren’t made in the Super Bowl. Offenses and defenses typically leapfrog each other to gain advantage. I sincerely hope the next great leap is made by Gannon, but personnel improvement must happen first. That’s mostly up to the new GM and his staff.

My hire preference was to go offense or someone with more experience. All of this doesn’t mean Gannon can‘t succeed. I would think based on his history that Carter would be his draft preference followed by a CB in round 2 unless a good one is acquired in FA. I would think he‘d prefer the rest of the draft focuses on the trenches. The question of 3-4 or 4-3 depends on the ultimate personnel accumulated. He could go either way. I think he would prefer to keep Hopkins, as he might be the best drive extending WR in the game, thus resting the defense.

Of course my hope is Gannon succeeds. I expect significant Cardinal defensive improvement. The offense’s success will depend on new personnel and better coaching. We should finally see if a better supporting cast can make Murray more successful. Better game day play selection would help as well.

I’m confident in the GM. I can only hope Gannon builds a quality staff and rises to the occasion.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I heard parts of the presser. Kind of like an interview for us all. I’m not impressed. Doesn’t mean he can’t make change for the better but we’ll have to see.

Bottom line, he doesn’t have HC experience in the NFL and a lot of the success is going to be from who he brings in. The people rumored don’t excite me either because they don’t have DC or OC experience.

In my opinion, what this all means is it’s going to a learning process. It’s going to be a long season and most likely, not a lot of wins.

Is my $400-$500 per home game going to give me my entertainment value? I doubt it!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So for those of you who weren't impressed, what could he have said that would have impressed you?

If not him, then who?
Don’t really care about winning the introductory press conference. He’s seven months away from his first game; Siriani looked lost in his presser and was in the Super Bowl two years later.

Most of it was various versions of coach speak. Every coach has a scheme; you can’t build a defense around the attributes of 11 individual players chosen at random. I’m sure if you looked back at Wilks’ presser he said similar stuff.

He is extremely polished on camera.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t really care about winning the introductory press conference. He’s seven months away from his first game; Siriani looked lost in his presser and was in the Super Bowl two years later.

Most of it was various versions of coach speak. Every coach has a scheme; you can’t build a defense around the attributes of 11 individual players chosen at random. I’m sure if you looked back at Wilks’ presser he said similar stuff.

He is extremely polished on camera.

But in the grand scheme you'd rather your guy crush it than get crushed right?

Nobody ever won the SB based on their introductory presser but he showed a lot of qualities and said a lot of things we have been begging for.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
So for those of you who weren't impressed, what could he have said that would have impressed you?

If not him, then who?
Of the last 3 I preferred Kafka, because I think Murray is the key to a rapid turnaround. Kafka had the best chance of accomplishing that. Overall I wanted Payton, but would have settled for Flores. I realize Bidwill couldn‘t convince either one to take the job. That doesn‘t change my concerns about Gannon.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the last 3 I preferred Kafka, because I think Murray is the key to a rapid turnaround. Kafka had the best chance of accomplishing that. Overall I wanted Payton, but would have settled for Flores. I realize Bidwill couldn‘t convince either one to take the job. That doesn‘t change my concerns about Gannon.
Counting on a rapid turnaround with a QB coming off of an ACL is a lot to ask. Burrow proves that it can happen, but he is the only one in recent memory that has done that.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We have no evidence that Bidwill spent a nanosecond trying to convince Flores to take the job. He was offered a second interview, that's all. Payton, he clearly wanted.

And the CARDS were looking for a H-C, not a glorified Q-C.

The latter can be found in separate O-C, and Q-C hires.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, the NFL uses what Flores did here to counter his lawsuit. He was offered a second interview to be an NFL head coach and instead took a coordinator job with a different team. Case closed. You cannot cry about not being a head coach in this league, say it is because of racism, then withdraw your name from consideration for a second interview (when all of the talking heads are saying the job is yours for the taking) and be taken seriously.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hopefully, the NFL uses what Flores did here to counter his lawsuit. He was offered a second interview to be an NFL head coach and instead took a coordinator job with a different team. Case closed. You cannot cry about not being a head coach in this league, say it is because of racism, then withdraw your name from consideration for a second interview (when all of the talking heads are saying the job is yours for the taking) and be taken seriously.
I don't know if it's "case closed".

If all the rumors are true, the Cardinals wanted Gannon all along. It certainly REALLY looks that way.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things Harry said.
1He believes not giving up big plays with the thought that the offense will make a mistake.
That worked great against us!
2. This offense put the defense on the field way too often.
And yet we continually ran no huddle with many 3 and outs, putting the defense back on the field after 30 seconds and a commercial break.

I like his press conference. He comes across as an organized no nonsense guy. The fact that he already had a disagreement with MO tells me he believes in his convictions.
I also loved the ferocious comment. Camp Cupcake is now officially dead.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's "case closed".

If all the rumors are true, the Cardinals wanted Gannon all along. It certainly REALLY looks that way.
I agree because of Monti's list and the potential hires he previously looked into, but if Flores wanted to bolster his case he should have waited to see if he got the job or was passed over once again. Then he could have added us to his list if so inclined.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have no evidence that Bidwill spent a nanosecond trying to convince Flores to take the job. He was offered a second interview, that's all. Payton, he clearly wanted.

And the CARDS were looking for a H-C, not a glorified Q-C.

The latter can be found in separate O-C, and Q-C hires.
I dont think you understand the role a head coach plays with a high profile highly paid QB if what you think Harry described was a “glorified QB coach.”

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont think you understand the role a head coach plays with a high profile highly paid QB if what you think Harry described was a “glorified QB coach.”

'I don't think you understand' that we just went through having a 'glorified QB coach' as H-C, and it's clear that isn't what Monti & Co. were looking for.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a good press conference but agree that doesn't mean anything but a look into his personality. He is high energy while KK was low key. We need to see the total make up of his coaching staff. Also how he and Monti address free agency and the draft. Hard for me to make any strong statements as it is just to early. It was nice that the players were there especially Kyler.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going on record that I'm not a fan of him getting so close to the players when he first meets them

Calling them bro and hugging

Players are like, "hello coach" and he's "what up bro?"

IMO there needs to be a line and you establish it from the start for respect reasons

If it's broken from the start, it's hard to draw it later

This reeks of a sales job to MB and Ossie and he's basically the same type coach as KK

I get the enthusiasm, but there's many ways to go about it

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going on record that I'm not a fan of him getting so close to the players when he first meets them

Calling them bro and hugging

Players are like, "hello coach" and he's "what up bro?"

IMO there needs to be a line and you establish it from the start for respect reasons

If it's broken from the start, it's hard to draw it later

This reeks of a sales job to MB and Ossie and he's basically the same type coach as KK

I get the enthusiasm, but there's many ways to go about it

I don't think that's an issue with him. He said himself in the press conference about coaching them hard and also holding them to accountability, but there has to be love with that too.

He's just meeting these guys for the first time, he want them to leave with a good impression.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's an issue with him. He said himself in the press conference about coaching them hard and also holding them to accountability, but there has to be love with that too.

He's just meeting these guys for the first time, he want them to leave with a good impression.
If you are going to talk the talk then walk the walk

Like I said it's my opinion, but I don't like it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose