Simmons shadow-benched

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do find it so quite comical that this board had no problem over the years blaming:

- Kyler for his poor play

- Hicks cause he’s too slow

- Budda cause he wasn’t splash plays

- Chandler for going ghost

- Reddick for playing in a spot he didn’t in college

- Humphries when he was playing poorly despite playing on the right side

Outside of Kyler, his expectations should’ve been significantly higher than all of these guys. Vance sucks but I refuse to believe he is the root of all of Isaiah’s problems.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons was overrunning gaps and late on reads this entire season. It just wasn't highlighted until the league saw it, started attacking him, and we started losing.

I think losing Watt probably exposed Simmons more than anybody else. Watt was drawing doubles and or getting into the backfield on run plays pretty regularly. He didn't have a ton of impact on the pass rush beyond occupying blockers but in the run game it was easier for the LB's because Watt was creating so much havoc in there.

Simmons needs to get stronger but I think his main issue is he doesn't really understand what he's supposed to be doing so as others said he's not as fast as he should be.

In the Colts game I spent the whole 2nd half waiting for them to throw because you could see Budda and Thompson were playing much closer to the LOS to help in the run game. Same thing happened with Detroit when they needed a pass play it was always there because the safeties were up

ON the clinching TD pass the WR beat Thompson in the back of the endzone there's not a ton a SS can do there and part of the problem there was rushing only 3 so they had time to find the guy.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think losing Watt probably exposed Simmons more than anybody else. Watt was drawing doubles and or getting into the backfield on run plays pretty regularly. He didn't have a ton of impact on the pass rush beyond occupying blockers but in the run game it was easier for the LB's because Watt was creating so much havoc in there.

Simmons needs to get stronger but I think his main issue is he doesn't really understand what he's supposed to be doing so as others said he's not as fast as he should be.

In the Colts game I spent the whole 2nd half waiting for them to throw because you could see Budda and Thompson were playing much closer to the LOS to help in the run game. Same thing happened with Detroit when they needed a pass play it was always there because the safeties were up

ON the clinching TD pass the WR beat Thompson in the back of the endzone there's not a ton a SS can do there and part of the problem there was rushing only 3 so they had time to find the guy.
The fact that Budda & Jalen are better ILBs than Isaiah is sad as hell to see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The fact that Budda & Jalen are better ILBs than Isaiah is sad as hell to see.
They aren't. It is easier to read to the back from further away from the LOS. That is where Simmons is good. See the play, see the gap and get to it before the opposing line can get to you. The closer to the LOS you get the more movement efficiency matters because it keeps you form getting blocked or cut off.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IF Simmons wasn't picked top 10 he woulda been cut after the SF game last year lets be real.

He has the football brain of UDFA and would be drafted on day 3 in a draft do over.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think a big problem was Keim decided we had enough depth on the DL after signing Watt. Watt wasn’t going to give us 17 good games, and neither was Jordan Phillips. So we ended up getting a handful of good games from each and about 1/3 of the season where Zach Allen was our best DL and that doesn’t happen with good defenses.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What are his strengths? He can’t play deep cause he too clunky in his legs. He can’t play in the box because he still does everything wrong by a fundamental standpoint. He can’t play EDGE cause he’ll get locked by any average OT. He’s not good in coverage unless he’s covering a 9 route. If we drafted a guy at 8th overall who strength is blitzing……..good Lord.
1 - Simmons can cover TEs. All of them.

2 - Simmons can run down plays. So in terms of pursuit, he is really good.

Your questions are,

1 - can Simmons be a read and react LB. The answer is no at this point but that wasn't how he was used in college and it isn't his fault that it is how he is being used in the pros. He isn't instinctive enough and he isn't strong enough.

2 - Can Simmons cover slot WRs? No (at least not for long) and not many LB/S can.

3 - Can Simmons blitz? Tough question because he is rarely used as a blitzer. Through 15 games he has blitzed 4 more times than he did all last year despite playing 500 more snaps so far.

So how you use Simmons? From day one his comp was Kam Chancelor. Maybe you could argue Thomas Davis but IMO he is much leaner. The best use for Simmons is as base S and sub ILB. You have to get him away from the LOS vs the run. This role also keeps him lean and fast.

Next best place is on the EDGE. He would need to bulk up, get stronger and would not be as versatile but he can drop in coverage, he doesn't need to read and react as much and he can still be a monster in backside pursuit.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Your questions are,

1 - can Simmons be a read and react LB. The answer is no at this point but that wasn't how he was used in college and it isn't his fault that it is how he is being used in the pros. He isn't instinctive enough and he isn't strong enough.

2 - Can Simmons cover slot WRs? No (at least not for long) and not many LB/S can.

3 - Can Simmons blitz? Tough question because he is rarely used as a blitzer. Through 15 games he has blitzed 4 more times than he did all last year despite playing 500 more snaps so far.

So how you use Simmons? From day one his comp was Kam Chancelor. Maybe you could argue Thomas Davis but IMO he is much leaner. The best use for Simmons is as base S and sub ILB. You have to get him away from the LOS vs the run. This role also keeps him lean and fast.

Next best place is on the EDGE. He would need to bulk up, get stronger and would not be as versatile but he can drop in coverage, he doesn't need to read and react as much and he can still be a monster in backside pursuit.

Chancellor and Thomas were extremely physical players, Simmons is not that much

If he bulks up best ceiling
Leonard Floyd but can end up in terms of career like Boss Bailey

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chancellor and Thomas were extremely physical players, Simmons is not that much

If he bulks up best ceiling
Leonard Floyd but can end up in terms of career like Boss Bailey
Well, Pete's defense and Ron's are much simpler and more attacking which creates physicality. Again, Von Miller who is awesome said that Vance's defense was tough because is was way more complicated than Wade Phillips.

In that first year in 2017 under Vance, Von Miller, a 5 time pro bowler, had his second worst statistical year in his first 8 seasons and the worst if you cut out his injured 2013 season. Also, Von had more pressures in 2019 (the year Vance left) than he had in 2018 despite playing one less game.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually love Zaven Collins/Rondale Moore potential, but Im leaning towards being like this about Creed Humphrey as well o_O
Hear hear. I really wanted Creed Humphrey for us this year, but I wanted Simmons instead of Wirfs last year from the get-go and Erik McCoy over Murphy in 2019. So what do I know?

Last edited:

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Your questions are,

Does this mean Keim drafted another square peg to fit in the round hole? If it is true, it's the Reddick debacle all over again: an athletic but no instinct player being forced to play ILB where he was not mentally capable of playing. Well, guess Keim now can draft himself another 1st round ILB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave