Simmons shadow-benched

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m sure someone mentioned it in other threads but Simmons couldn’t have played more than 40% of the snaps tonight.

I don’t care how complex your defense is for your ILBs, that’s a Top 10 pick and if you can’t reach him during the year bring in a consultant to work with him.

It’s WILD that our two off-ball LB first rounders can’t see the field for a parade of total scrubs.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Simmons needs to work on his body this off-season and put some meat on his legs, but jeebus it’s embarrassing to have these two guys playing so few snaps.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Simmons needs to work on his body this off-season and put some meat on his legs, but jeebus it’s embarrassing to have these two guys playing so few snaps.
Imo he is not a football player you can't even tell he has 4.3 speed because his football brain is so slow

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone blaming Vance...

Maybe Simmons is just playing poorly (he is). He's been getting worse with every game. He started the season well but has been complete garbage for 5-6 games.

He always couldn't read and react but now he over pursues, takes bad angles, doesn't wrap up and he's awful in coverage unless who he's covering runs in a straight line.

I'm more concerned about no Zaven. How can Vance say mid week "He's a backup. Who do I take out?" then the very next game take out Simmons for a street bum like Walker?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Maybe Simmons is just playing poorly (he is). He's been getting worse with every game. He started the season well but has been complete garbage for 5-6 games.

He always couldn't read and react but now he over pursues, takes bad angles, doesn't wrap up and he's awful in coverage unless who he's covering runs in a straight line.

I'm more concerned about no Zaven. How can Vance say mid week "He's a backup. Who do I take out?" then the very next game take out Simmons for a street bum like Walker?
He doesn't have adequate strenght, he doesn't have any chances to beat an offensive lineman
I think Collins can offer something more rushing the passer
I don't see any comparison with kam chancellor, i remember him putting in the ground an arizona lineman some years a go
When i see Simmons, facing a lineman, he is always pushed five yards back pretty easily

+speed
+athleticism
-poor insticts
-slow reaction
-strenght
-football IQ
Still young but i see him going backwards, which is not very promising

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do u think there is an off field issue behind?
Maybe the only reason that explain this weird decision, the injury is just an excuse
Arizona media are too soft and team friendly to investigate

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Maybe the DC who has a history of having an overly complex defense that even veteran and potential pro bowl LBs say is tough is to blame for these young LBs not playing to their potential? Maybe the DC who isn't creative enough to scheme for hyper versatile players isn't putting our hyper versatile players in positions to succeed. Maybe the answer that is staring you in the face is the right one vs this garbage that these guys just aren't good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe the guy is just mediocre?

Guy is the most Teflon player on this site. Good Lord.
Maybe the extremely versatile and athletic player is being limited by being put at a position that values instincts almost as much as athletic ability? Maybe the guy whose draft profile said that you need a creative scheme to maximize his talents is struggling because he is playing under one of the least creative DCs in the league?

It isn't that hard to figure out where the problem lies.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am guessing Zaven is not showing in practice that he gets the defense and therefore is getting no PT?

Now, I think a good coach would scheme some opportunities for him that plays to his strengths rather than letting him rot on the bench but there may be some additional stuff behind the scenes going on.

Is Bluto drafting idiots who can’t understand the schemes which leads to this? What is Zaven’s relationship like with his LB coach and is he putting in maximum effort regarding week long prep? Are these coaches old school and never want to start, or play, rookies?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the extremely versatile and athletic player is being limited by being put at a position that values instincts almost as much as athletic ability? Maybe the guy whose draft profile said that you need a creative scheme to maximize his talents is struggling because he is playing under one of the least creative DCs in the league?

It isn't that hard to figure out where the problem lies.
If you need such a creative scheme for the 8th overall pick to finally play like the 8th overall pick, then the problem just isn’t the DC. You should be able to at least look solid regardless of scheme.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am guessing Zaven is not showing in practice that he gets the defense and therefore is getting no PT?

Now, I think a good coach would scheme some opportunities for him that plays to his strengths rather than letting him rot on the bench but there may be some additional stuff behind the scenes going on.

Is Bluto drafting idiots who can’t understand the schemes which leads to this? What is Zaven’s relationship like with his LB coach and is he putting in maximum effort regarding week long prep? Are these coaches old school and never want to start, or play, rookies?
Who is the LB coach? I think therein lies the answer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the DC who has a history of having an overly complex defense that even veteran and potential pro bowl LBs say is tough is to blame for these young LBs not playing to their potential? Maybe the DC who isn't creative enough to scheme for hyper versatile players isn't putting our hyper versatile players in positions to succeed. Maybe the answer that is staring you in the face is the right one vs this garbage that these guys just aren't good.

It's the same defense that was top 10 until a few games ago right?

There were articles arguing the virtues of 3 years in the same scheme just a few weeks ago.

He started the season well enough. So scheme can't be the reason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same defense that was top 10 until a few games ago right?

There were articles arguing the virtues of 3 years in the same scheme just a few weeks ago.

He started the season well enough. So scheme can't be the reason.

The fact that players needed 3 YEARS to get comfortable in a defense either means the system sucks or the players playing in it do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that players needed 3 YEARS to get comfortable in a defense either means the system sucks or the players playing in it do.

Fair enough but that doesn't change that Simmons has sucked all on his own.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isaiah is what some here thought Budda Baker was 2-3 years ago.