Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meaning VJ has changed the base scheme to a 4-2-5 to accommodate what Keim has drafted. Except we don't have a single interior DL worth mentioning. Could be a disaster. Teams will run free up the middle once again.
I think it’s funny that the board doesn’t seem to think VJ (and the position coaches) has a say in the defensive players we draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it’s funny that the board doesn’t seem to think VJ (and the position coaches) has a say in the defensive players we draft.
He can provide input, but he doesn’t have final say, obviously.

Hard to see how things worked out with Collins last year and believe otherwise with a straight face.

Reaction score
''One of the things that I talked about when the Cardinals drafted Simmons was patience.

Simmons was lightly used as a freshman at Clemson, was used more as a sophomore and became an All American his junior year before the Cardinals took him in the top ten in the NFL Draft.

The trajectory will hopefully be the same in the NFL and allow the Cardinals to become one of the better and more versatile defenses in the NFL.''

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can provide input, but he doesn’t have final say, obviously.

Hard to see how things worked out with Collins last year and believe otherwise with a straight face.
Considering he went to dinner with Joseph pre-draft, I have a hard time believing we would’ve drafted him without VJ signing off on the possibility ahead of time.

Last edited:
Reaction score

''He finished with 105 tackles, third-best on the team, and added four forced fumbles, seven passes defended, 1½ sacks and one interception. He joined Tampa Bay’s Darius Leonard as the only players in the NFL to record 100 or more tackles, four forced fumbles and seven passes defended in 2021, becoming the first Cardinals player to do so since the team relocated here from St. Louis in 1988.''

''Last season, Simmons spent most of his time at inside linebacker (324 total snaps), but also appeared at edge rusher (207 snaps), outside linebacker (193) and slot corner (139). He also played a little safety, saw some action at inside defensive line and logged minutes at both left and right outside cornerback.''

''In a perfect world, Simmons can become sort of cross between Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons, last season’s NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and former Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, who now plays for the Saints. He isn’t the “Money” linebacker Arizona used to call Deone Bucannon. He’s more of a do-everything “Monster” back with shades of both Parsons and the Honey Badger.''

''It’s really nothing new for Simmons. This is the role he carved out for himself in college at Clemson, when he went from a lowly “three-star recruit from Kansas” to an All-American, Butkus Award winner, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, and a first-round NFL draft pick.

Nobody thought he could do it then, but he proved the doubters wrong and that’s what he plans to do with any critics entering his third season with the Cardinals.''

He's not a safety but closer to a linebacker according to this article. It also looks like the Cards are using him like he was used in college.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not into the self hating thing where every player or coach on another team is automatically better than what the Cardinals have
I feel like it is easy to attest that another team's situation/player/coach is worse and contributes more than just critiquing the poster.

You can easily defend Kyler by citing Baker Mayfield's early career on a better roster vs stating a poster is up in their feelings again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose