Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's what the offensive formation dictates.

Why? He's still switching him to the weak side then? He's always had his success from the strong side yet Vance keeps switching him and occasionally dropping him. I can't think of a worse use of his talent.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only 10 snaps for Simmons today. I just don’t understand the coddling with this kid. The Panthers are starting a rookie ( Jeremy Chin ) who is similar to Simmons as a player, and no problem, the kid is on the field. Yet Simmons doesn’t . It’s one or two things 1) VJ can’t figure out how to get him on the field 2) Simmons is just not picking up the defense contrary to front office speak. It’s a mystery

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only 10 snaps for Simmons today. I just don’t understand the coddling with this kid. The Panthers are starting a rookie ( Jeremy Chin ) who is similar to Simmons as a player, and no problem, the kid is on the field. Yet Simmons doesn’t . It’s one or two things 1) VJ can’t figure out how to get him on the field 2) Simmons is just not picking up the defense contrary to front office speak. It’s a mystery
Or...he's just not that good yet.

You draft him as a LB.
You have him train this offseason as a LB (he looks heavier)
You realize in camp...he's not a LB.

So either you wait it out and hope he gets good at.

Or use him at safety and hope thats the position for him.

Problem with all those snaps all over the field at Clemson means he didnt hone his craft at one position.

Cards may have guessed wrong about him being a LB and instead should have developed him at S.

Probably is I'm not sure you can play him and Budda together.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or...he's just not that good yet.

You draft him as a LB.
You have him train this offseason as a LB (he looks heavier)
You realize in camp...he's not a LB.

So either you wait it out and hope he gets good at.

Or use him at safety and hope thats the position for him.

Problem with all those snaps all over the field at Clemson means he didnt hone his craft at one position.

Cards may have guessed wrong about him being a LB and instead should have developed him at S.

Probably is I'm not sure you can play him and Budda together.
Does he really?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fans are going to debate Simmons like Reddick. Four years later [emoji1787] we will be wondering where the time went when Simmons gives up a 76 yard touchdown to another faceless RB in game 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Over and over, teams just scheme openings against Vance. It just works over and over. It's maddening.

I think Vance Joseph understands defense and is a good teacher, but I think he is awful at the intricacies of play calling.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Vance is on the hot seat and I can’t see the organization allowing him to dictate Simmons playing time. Simmons isn’t getting it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering the grief I got I think this is worth resurrecting

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had him playing a lot of DB on Saturday. However that doesn’t mean he is a safety though. I expect to see him moved all over as that is what makes him special.

I covered this one page 1 of this thread. This sounds great in theory. Players have done it before, but they always had a base position. Say Honey Badger for example, would play most snaps at safety, but would also play some slot, a little corner, maybe some LB etc but he was a safety.

I don;t think any player has ever had an NFL career just being a gadget defender without a base position. So is that now safety or LB?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is listed as an ILB on the official roster currently so I guess that currently is his base position???

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Considering the grief I got I think this is worth resurrecting
resurrect a dead thread just to stroke yourself??

come on man

we all know simmons is a tall safety,...
you put it out there like you were the only one