Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its my own opinion. Mitch just happens to be on the same page.

What better?

Hicks - Campbell - Simmons

Or

Hicks - Simmons - Thompson

I know which I'd take.
Hicks - Simmons - Thompson, honestly.

All the reports of Campbell I read/heard from Falcon fans haven’t been good. Not to mention, he was pretty damn awful against us when we played them last season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he continues to play like he did last season, Jalen does not need to see his snaps decrease.

Jalen, Budda, & Simmons all need to be rotating roles regularly.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If he continues to play like he did last season, Jalen does not need to see his snaps decrease.

Jalen, Budda, & Simmons all need to be rotating roles regularly.
I think this is crazy

Thompson was fine for a 5th round rookie

hes not keeping the #8 pick off the field

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is crazy

I didn’t read that post to imply Simmons would not be on the field because of Thompson. Simmons will be in a different position, perhaps, depending on whether Thompson is on the field.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think this is crazy

Seemed like the proverbial light started coming on later and the kid needs to retain that mojo as a starter. The fact being he's a fifth rounder is even more reason to give him a chance since that is something a franchise can hang their hat on... Simmons is like an act of God which will affect the whole defense except for maybe NT lol

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is crazy

I have no clue how you even got that from my post....

But what I’m saying is, I do not like the thought of losing our best deep safety. We all know Budda is more dangerous closer to the LOS & I really don’t trust Simmons playing deep either. At least not a lot. I think all 3 should play on the field together a lot while regularly rotating roles. We should be rolling 3 safeties out there a majority of the time.

I think whoever plays worse between Alford & Byron, I can see losing snaps.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Quoting a Mitch article as facts to support your argument.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mitch's next article will be about how Simmons can play DT/DL. Then it will be LB only.

Then he will point and say "See I was right"

Not only was I thinking the exact same thing..... I wanted credit for posting that video on our board! No way he found it on his own.

hahaha

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Simmons could get away covering a guy like Metcalf, but I damn sure better not see him covering guys like Kupp or Deebo. That’s one thing I don’t see being translatable. Covering slot guys with good cut ability.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seemed like the proverbial light started coming on later and the kid needs to retain that mojo as a starter. The fact being he's a fifth rounder is even more reason to give him a chance since that is something a franchise can hang their hat on... Simmons is like an act of God which will affect the whole defense except for maybe NT lol

Jalen wasn't completely trash in an otherwise complete trash defense. That's it.

There was nothing special about him whatsoever. He made a few nice plays, made more bad ones. He was fine for a 5th round rookie. That's it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How does the narrative that Simmons is going to stop our tight end problem fit with him playing linebacker?

The TE's that toast us aren't in line guys leaking out late that a linebacker might pick up. Guys like Kittle line up wide in the slot and linebackers don't line up over guys.

When we played the Niners last year we would bring Budda down from free safety to line up in man on Kittle (he got murdered mostly) and put Deonte Thompson at FS.

In other words, the strong safety picked up that duty.

Against teams like the Niners, Seahawks and Rams. All who have very good receiving tight ends who play out of the slot, how is Simmons playing linebacker and covering those guys? He'd have to come out of linebacker most of the time.

Next year we also play Ertz, Hockenson, Engram, Jarwin, whoever Pats have a TE, etc etc

So just play Simmons at SS. He can cover TE's or big slots when they line up in the slot. Come down into the box as a 3rd LB on obvious run plays.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look up Ronnie Lott
He changed positions

Jeez man. Lott changed positions over his career, from CB to safety. Like many others have done.

Thats not the same as being a "positionless defender" thats playing 3-4 different positions a game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen wasn't completely trash in an otherwise complete trash defense. That's it.

There was nothing special about him whatsoever. He made a few nice plays, made more bad ones. He was fine for a 5th round rookie. That's it.
OTOH, Campbell was complete trash in an otherwise complete trash defense.

I hope it was coach-speak, but the fact that Vance said he was their #1 FA target is concerning as hell.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the cards will get their best 11 on the field. Both Buddha & Simmons will play a SS/WILB role, often on the field at the same time.
The nickel, 3-3-5, may be our base defense but with alot more muscle than most. I think this jibes well with the trend of NFL offenses spreading the field. Also jibes well with the bigger, space-eating d lineman we've been picking up.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kennard - Phillips - Peters - Allen - Jones

.................Hicks - Simmons.............

........................Baker .....................

Pat P - Alford - Murphy at CB

That is our starting eleven.

Budda, Isaiah, and probably Murphy will be our chess pieces and I like all of them in that role.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Budda, Isaiah, and probably Murphy will be our chess pieces and I like all of them in that role.

Who's at free safety?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How does the narrative that Simmons is going to stop our tight end problem fit with him playing linebacker?

The TE's that toast us aren't in line guys leaking out late that a linebacker might pick up. Guys like Kittle line up wide in the slot and linebackers don't line up over guys.

When we played the Niners last year we would bring Budda down from free safety to line up in man on Kittle (he got murdered mostly) and put Deonte Thompson at FS.

In other words, the strong safety picked up that duty.

Against teams like the Niners, Seahawks and Rams. All who have very good receiving tight ends who play out of the slot, how is Simmons playing linebacker and covering those guys? He'd have to come out of linebacker most of the time.

Next year we also play Ertz, Hockenson, Engram, Jarwin, whoever Pats have a TE, etc etc

So just play Simmons at SS. He can cover TE's or big slots when they line up in the slot. Come down into the box as a 3rd LB on obvious run plays.

In 2015, the NFL Competition Committee approved linebackers using numbers from 40 to 49.

Ergo - Simmons #48 is designated as a linebacker.

How they choose to use his skills is a separate question.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Who's at free safety?
Depends on the package.

In most situations I see man on the outside and one or two high with some sort of blitz situation.

Very situational, very unpredictable.

The CB's, Buddah, and Simmons my never follow or switch. Thus not giving up whether in zone or man.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Phillips - Peters - Allen​

Kennard.................................Jones

Hicks..............Simmons

Budda_or_ Murphy
PP21.......................................Alford

J. Thompson​

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phillips - Peters - Allen​

Kennard.................................Jones

Hicks..............Simmons

Budda_or_ Murphy
PP21.......................................Alford

J. Thompson​
This is easily the best lineup.

I think Alford is gonna be his old inconsistent-terrible self though & Murphy will have a decent Sophomore campaign so I’d put Murphy in Alford’s spot.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone please change the title to “he’s a linebacker not a safety”

I'm just jumping in here without reading all 7 pages but he played more linebacker then safety with his most common position being inside linebacker.. how can you argue he will play safety because he doesn't have enough snaps at linebacker when he has more snaps there?? Meant really to question Britcard on that... he was mostly an inside linebacker.. actually his second place position was corner! I do think he will be playing the safety position a lot if we are worried about tight ends from a particular team... we have made crappy tight ends look great so that might be a position he is in a lot of the time...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just jumping in here without reading all 7 pages but he played more linebacker then safety with his most common position being inside linebacker.. how can you argue he will play safety because he doesn't have enough snaps at linebacker when he has more snaps there?? Meant really to question Britcard on that... he was mostly an inside linebacker.. actually his second place position was corner! I do think he will be playing the safety position a lot if we are worried about tight ends from a particular team... we have made crappy tight ends look great so that might be a position he is in a lot of the time...

He played all of '17 and '18 at Safety. It's also incredibly difficult to say where he played last year. There were plenty of times he would line up at linebacker, the offense would motion a WR, and Simmons would then be slot CB. Venables did that with a lot of defensive players, and even when he was lined up at true linebacker it was often on plays where he was dropping into coverage. Clemson did a lot with pre snap looks where he may have looked like a linebacker, but then actually ended up in man coverage on a wide TE or a slot receiver.

Stood up 5 yards off the LOS and asked to diagnose run or pass and come down hill and fill gaps, the things you actually want an inside linebacker to do, not so much.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He played all of '17 and '18 at Safety. It's also incredibly difficult to say where he played last year. There were plenty of times he would line up at linebacker, the offense would motion a WR, and Simmons would then be slot CB. Venables did that with a lot of defensive players, and even when he was lined up at true linebacker it was often on plays where he was dropping into coverage. Clemson did a lot with pre snap looks where he may have looked like a linebacker, but then actually ended up in man coverage on a wide TE or a slot receiver.

Stood up 5 yards off the LOS and asked to diagnose run or pass and come down hill and fill gaps, the things you actually want an inside linebacker to do, not so much.

just abort the thread

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose