Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

JCSunsfan

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
Trade deadline thoughts.

No big moves--I would not have any problem with a move that included any of these players: Saric, Kaminsky, Nader, Shamet, Wainright, Payton, etc. While trading Smith might be OK, I cannot see a trade where the return would be greater than the value of having him for the playoffs and the outside chance of signing him this summer.

Targets: Veteran dependable pg or combo guard (Eric Gordon type of player, but not Eric Gordon because of his contract). Instant offense wing--Lou Williams type of player, Vinny Johnson (microwave). Quick instant offense off of the bench.

Waiting until the buyout period might be the ticket. I have a hunch some decent players are going to get bought out. Some of those players might take a lesser buyout deal if they know the Suns would pick them up.

We need to be able to clear roster spots if needed.

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade deadline thoughts.

No big moves--I would not have any problem with a move that included any of these players: Saric, Kaminsky, Nader, Shamet, Wainright, Payton, etc. While trading Smith might be OK, I cannot see a trade where the return would be greater than the value of having him for the playoffs and the outside chance of signing him this summer.

Targets: Veteran dependable pg or combo guard (Eric Gordon type of player, but not Eric Gordon because of his contract). Instant offense wing--Lou Williams type of player, Vinny Johnson (microwave). Quick instant offense off of the bench.

Waiting until the buyout period might be the ticket. I have a hunch some decent players are going to get bought out. Some of those players might take a lesser buyout deal if they know the Suns would pick them up.

I agree with this. I would like to get Saric's contract dumped somehow.

I feel our best chance of making it to the finals again is for Shamet and Payne to play to their potential, and hopefully Ayton adding a bit to his offensive game.

The best thing about this season so far is Devin Booker has become a legit 3pt shooting threat. The worst is I am seeing Chris Paul showing signs of aging.

cheesebeef

ASFN AWESOME
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel our best chance of making it to the finals again is for Shamet and Payne to play to their potential, and hopefully Ayton adding a bit to his offensive game.

The best thing about this season so far is Devin Booker has become a legit 3pt shooting threat. The worst is I am seeing Chris Paul showing signs of aging.
Yeah... I think this year and next year are our window. After that, I expect CP3 to not be close to what he is now snd what he is now is still the engine that makes the entire car go.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I think those are important, but I think the #1 thing we need right now and for the Playoffs is for Mikal Bridges to become an offensive threat. Right now, he's just offensive.

Phrazbit

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
Yeah... I think this year and next year are our window. After that, I expect CP3 to not be close to what he is now snd what he is now is still the engine that makes the entire car go.

Yeah, if we are going to contend after 2023 then we're going to need to stumble across another star, preferably a point guard.

But if we're coming off a 3 year run of top 2 in the conference and (hopefully) a title sprinkled in, that is the kind of situation that stars force their way to join.

Phrazbit

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
I think those are important, but I think the #1 thing we need right now and for the Playoffs is for Mikal Bridges to become an offensive threat. Right now, he's just offensive.

Bridges needs to get out of his funk and we need Shamet to find some sort of rhythm in the offense.

Cam Johnson's evolution has made up for a lot what those 2 are failing to bring.

Also, it seems like Cam Payne is starting to break out of his funk. Since Christmas he is shooting over 40% from 3, his assists are up and his turnovers are down.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
Bridges needs to get out of his funk and we need Shamet to find some sort of rhythm in the offense.

Cam Johnson's evolution has made up for a lot what those 2 are failing to bring.

Also, it seems like Cam Payne is starting to break out of his funk. Since Christmas he is shooting over 40% from 3, his assists are up and his turnovers are down.
Cam needs to play his game and not try to be Chris Paul. Cam's game is to drive and dish or shoot the open three. His best weapon is his speed. He is not a good prober or mid-range artist like CP3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
It would be interesting to view the Sun's players in order of trade value.

Of course there is Book and CP3. Neither is a trade possibility.
Ayton could bring a lot.
I think CamJ and Mikal would both be very highly valued, maybe Cam more than Mikal at the moment. Really close though.
JaVale would have some value right now, so would Jae, but not as much.
Cam Payne is increasing in value.
Kaminsky might have a little. He would be more of a salary fill-in than anything.
Smith's value is next to nothing. He is too young to depend on for a playoff run and the restrictions on the team that trades for him make the trade unlikely.
Saric might have negative value.
The rest are just salary filler at best.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trade deadline thoughts.

I see no problems here. I'm not a big fan of the deep bench. Unless for some reason someone is willing to give up something good for Stix we should keep him for now.
Sadly there's only a few undersized non PGOF types being infused in the NBA over the next few years. We may have to steal a good PG from someone else.

Players will for sure be more willing to pull the trigger and try to get here.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
How do we steal Dejounte Murray from the Spurs? I would like to see him as a future PG for the Suns.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
How do we steal Dejounte Murray from the Spurs? I would like to see him as a future PG for the Suns.
That's the problem. Most of the candidates for PGOTF on other teams will be hard to pry away. Not many teams with a surplus of them or looking to get rid of the ones they have.

Dejounte is a pretty good fit next to Booker, but was surprised to see that he's older than Devin by a month or so.

Other possibly available candidates after a quick look through rosters:
De'Aron Fox
Colin Sexton
Markelle Fultz (I know, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel)

I have no idea if they're actually available, but seems like these teams already have better candidates for their long-term PG needs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN AWESOME
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other possibly available candidates after a quick look through rosters:
De'Aron Fox
Colin Sexton
Markelle Fultz (I know, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel)

I have no idea if they're actually available, but seems like these teams already have better candidates for their long-term PG needs.
Actually, for me, Sexton would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd want no part of him, highlight reel or not. I'd consider Fultz on a miminum deal but obviously his head and his left knee are serious concerns.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Actually, for me, Sexton would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd want no part of him, highlight reel or not. I'd consider Fultz on a miminum deal but obviously his head and his left knee are serious concerns.
Yeah, fair enough. I know he was drafted as a PG but I think he's been playing more off the ball when paired with Garland. Either way his numbers aren't world beating and he looks like more of a score-first pg. Caveat, I've only really seen him play against Phoenix and basing this on looking up his stats.