Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ricky Rubio has been on 4 teams in the last 4 years and I don't believe anyone would say he's bad for a teams culture. Look at how many teams Jae Crowder has been on, he's been on more teams than seasons played and he's a good culture guy.

The modern NBA is all about player movement. Even MVP's bounce around. Look at KD, Lebron, Harden, Russ. The amount of teams a player has been on shouldn't be used as a strike against them on it's own.

OKC traded Denis because they'll trade anyone for a draft pick. He won Sixth Man of the year there. The Lakers wanted to keep him but Schroeder over valued himself in negotiations. Now he's in Boston on a 1 year deal because he's trying to earn a big deal somewhere. The point is there is a legit reason why he's been on a few teams, it's not like he was dealt each time because he was a cancer.

I agree, guys situations are specific to them, lots of players bounce around. In Dennis Schroeder's case he bounces around because he is a toxic ball hog who quits on his team. He did over value himself on the Lakers but the Lakers could have signed him to far less after the season but didn't because he quit on the team. Atlanta traded him for Carmelo Anthony and then promptly waived Carmelo... they just wanted to be rid of Schroeder. OKC dumped him for the 28th pick in the draft. Then he hit free agency and had zero interest. His reputation around the league is terrible.

As you mention, he is on a one year deal and trying to earn another shot at a big contract... all the more reason that bringing him here to be a 3rd stringer is a bad idea.

Most of all though... we're all disappointing by Cam Payne's shooting, I don't see how bringing in a guy who shoots just as bad, just more often, while playing worse defense is a solution.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, guys situations are specific to them, lots of players bounce around. In Dennis Schroeder's case he bounces around because he is a toxic ball hog who quits on his team. He did over value himself on the Lakers but the Lakers could have signed him to far less after the season but didn't because he quit on the team. Atlanta traded him for Carmelo Anthony and then promptly waived Carmelo... they just wanted to be rid of Schroeder. OKC dumped him for the 28th pick in the draft. Then he hit free agency and had zero interest. His reputation around the league is terrible.

As you mention, he is on a one year deal and trying to earn another shot at a big contract... all the more reason that bringing him here to be a 3rd stringer is a bad idea.

Most of all though... we're all disappointing by Cam Payne's shooting, I don't see how bringing in a guy who shoots just as bad, just more often, while playing worse defense is a solution.

I thought by the time he hit free agency everyone blew their wad already.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We ARE the best team in the league. No need to burn it all down. Purge the end of the bench for a role player or two.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought by the time he hit free agency everyone blew their wad already.

He hit free agency at the same time all the other players did. The Lakers also had his bird rights and could have made him another offer... they didn't, once he quit on them in the middle of the series against us there was no way they were bringing him back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a great shooter but I don't see how we make the money work. Shamet would pretty much have to be a part of it.

If he could stay healthy he would be a huge boon for us, he and Cam Johnson would give us 2 of the best 3 point shooters in the league... but the health part is a big hangup, the guy misses 30-40 games seemingly every season.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it at the moment. I can't see the Suns giving up on Shamet so quickly.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That contract is a monster though. 18m this year and almost 20 next year. His last year isn't guaranteed.
No way we are taking on that contract for the role that he would play here. If they want to buy him out so he could sign here, I could see that. But everyone would have to agree on the details ahead of time.

I think this is just a trial balloon being floated by Houston or Gordon's agent. I think there are lots of teams that hope they can get Cam Johnson.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lol

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yet another post filled with substance.

Hats off.

No different than your post filled with a clear pre conceived perception of a player that not only goes after his ability on the court but goes after what kind of man he is.

Oh I’m sorry do you know him?

He clearly makes you feel some type of way about yourself. Sounding Big Mad

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No different than your post filled with a clear pre conceived perception of a player that not only goes after his ability on the court but goes after what kind of man he is.

Oh I’m sorry do you know him?

He clearly makes you feel some type of way about yourself. Sounding Big Mad

Conceived based on facts. If you want to spin your own fictional narrative you are more than welcome.

Even if you want to pretend several other teams didn't dump him for next to nothing AND the entire league ignored him in free agency... there is still the tricky issue that Cam Payne in a slump shoots basically on par with Schroeder's career norms... and that is without also suffering through Schroeder's crap defending.

Also, why do you try to make things personal? Seems like you're projecting... big projecting.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A healthy Gordon in the playoffs is a game changer but that’s quite the risk considering his salary and durability concerns. And if you’re paying him going forward that’s a wrap for Ayton or Cam J.
This. I tuned into their local radio and they are saying that there are rumors Gordon loves the Suns and really wants to play here. However, I totally disagree on Ayton. There is no way they are essentially trading Gordon for a legit big man. No way.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I tuned into their local radio and they are saying that there are rumors Gordon loves the Suns and really wants to play here. However, I totally disagree on Ayton. There is no way they are essentially trading Gordon for a legit big man. No way.

Ayton was never included in a rumored trade for Eric Gordon that I am aware.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a deal works for Saric, Stix, and Nader for Gordon and one of the young guys making less than 2 million annually for Houston.

A deal involving Stix and Saric for Gordon doesn't quite work salary wise which is why I added Nader and someone else from Houston. The Rockets don't need to include another player but chances are they'd waive one of those guys to make room anyways so including them so they're not hit with financials makes sense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conceived based on facts. If you want to spin your own fictional narrative you are more than welcome.

Even if you want to pretend several other teams didn't dump him for next to nothing AND the entire league ignored him in free agency... there is still the tricky issue that Cam Payne in a slump shoots basically on par with Schroeder's career norms... and that is without also suffering through Schroeder's crap defending.

Also, why do you try to make things personal? Seems like you're projecting... big projecting.

Facts and opinions are two different things and that’s one of the problems with today’s society people can’t tell the difference

I’m not projecting anything. Just one look at your post on him and you can tell you feel some type of way

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pacers get:
Bridges
Stix
Saric

Suns get:
Sabonis

Paul
Booker
Cam
Crowder
Ayton

Sabonis leads the bench

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Bridges for anyone yet. He has too much potential as a 2 way player and is just in a slump. He is a core piece who only get better in my opinion.

I think he’s shown zero potential as a two way player. This isn’t as simple as his shots not falling

He won’t take shots. He doesn’t cut to the basket. He beats his man gets in the lane and looks to pass it

He’s not that guy and it’s becoming clear

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he’s shown zero potential as a two way player. This isn’t as simple as his shots not falling

He won’t take shots. He doesn’t cut to the basket. He beats his man gets in the lane and looks to pass it

He’s not that guy and it’s becoming clear
Yep. He’s in his fourth season and remember he was supppsed to be the most “NBA ready” because he was older when drafted.

His handles are non-existent. His shot still has a hitch sometimes and now he’s not even cutting the rim and finishing like he did last year in the regular season. There are so many times that he gets the ball
And just takes one dribble and stops, allowing the defense to adjust.

It would be one thing if he was a lockdown defender, but he’s not. He looked like he was taking those steps early this season but has fallen off since then. He’s A good defender, on a lot of nights a very good defender, but not lockdown. And he’s pathetic on the boards.

I think he’s gonna be the Shawn Marion contract that forces $arver to jettison other talent because we overpaid there.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. He’s in his fourth season and remember he was supppsed to be the most “NBA ready” because he was older when drafted.

His handles are non-existent. His shot still has a hitch sometimes and now he’s not even cutting the rim and finishing like he did last year in the regular season. There are so many times that he gets the ball
And just takes one dribble and stops, allowing the defense to adjust.

It would be one thing if he was a lockdown defender, but he’s not. He looked like he was taking those steps early this season but has fallen off since then. He’s A good defender, on a lot of nights a very good defender, but not lockdown. And he’s pathetic on the boards.

I think he’s gonna be the Shawn Marion contract that forces $arver to jettison other talent because we overpaid there.
I've heard nothing from the team about his injury since it happened but it can take up to 6 weeks for a dislocated finger to heal and that's when you're not out there playing basketball with it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard nothing from the team about his injury since it happened but it can take up to 6 weeks for a dislocated finger to heal and that's when you're not out there playing basketball with it.
I saw nothing in his game the first six weeks of the season that showed any growth on offense whatsoever. His shooting was basically exactly the same, his handles were the same, rebounding the same and he already started getting tentative after a couple nice games to start the season.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
He's a very good "3 and D" guy, but they're paying like they expect more than that. He's going to need to develop some dependable offense other than standing in the corner and shooting 3's, and he needs to contribute more on the boards.

He's a great bargain at $5 million, but not so much at $22 million.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw nothing in his game the first six weeks of the season that showed any growth on offense whatsoever. His shooting was basically exactly the same, his handles were the same, rebounding the same and he already started getting tentative after a couple nice games to start the season.
Not me, I see a huge difference in his game (offense and defense) since that December 3rd game where he injured his right pinky. Since then, he's been hesitant to shoot (at times), hesitant to dribble (at times) and he's been less active trying to tip balls away.

From game 4 on when this team started to play well until the injury, Mikal didn't have a single night where he was a minus for the game (a stretch of 19 games). From the GSW loss on the 3rd through the Toronto win, he's been upside down 7 times (a stretch of 18 games).

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nader, Stix, Saric and a first round pick for Sabonis is all I'm willing to do. Can we even trade Shamet yet cause I'm all for that too.
Mikal stays
Cam stays
Cam stays
DA stays and plays WITH Sabonis. Who can play PF WELL.

Suns get a PF and backup center in Sabonis and go over lux tax..
Pacers get bent.
Sarver gets bent.

My only worry is Sabonis is a subpar outside shooter which might not be so good next to DA at center.

Last edited: