Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroeder seems to get a lot of hate here for supposedly quitting on the Lakers in the playoffs last year but they also turned down his contract demands. I'm not saying he was worth the money he asked for, he clearly wasn't since no one else ponied up the cash, but I find that a bit more reasonable. He was days away from free agency on a team that let it be known they weren't going to pay him.

I'm not saying his quitting was fine but its bit more reasonable than just loafing because he wasn't happy for some reason. He was a model citizen in OKC and didn't have any issues in Atlanta other than not being the franchise PG that they envisioned.
The Lakers offered him 80 mil before last season started. They offered him nothing after the summer but that was only after he quit on them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quit on the team?
I really was not making the assertion that he did, I was conceding that point to someone else (Phrazbit?)who asserted it. I think they were referring to the playoffs last year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought he played great to start the season and then they offered him 80 million. At the time with the way he was balling it really did seem like a team discount. And he quit only after all the BS with Lebron and Rich Paul. He might not have handled it well but there were definitely two sides to that story.

You're right, it was 84 million and it was during the season. Either way, he was an idiot to turn it down and the Lakers were fools to offer it. I doubt he sees even half that total over the rest of his career. And it still does not excuse him quitting on the team.

The Hawks traded him in a pure salary dump, the Thunder traded him away for next to nothing, the Lakers were done with him after the playoffs and now after a half season in Boston the Celtics are ready to move on.

The next team that wants to keep Schroeder for any lengthy spell will be the first.

That said... I'd take him over Payton at the moment... but I would still prefer to dip our toe into the D-League first, offer some point guards there 10 day deals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, it was 84 million and it was during the season. Either way, he was an idiot to turn it down and the Lakers were fools to offer it. I doubt he sees even half that total over the rest of his career. And it still does not excuse him quitting on the team.

The Hawks traded him in a pure salary dump, the Thunder traded him away for next to nothing, the Lakers were done with him after the playoffs and now after a half season in Boston the Celtics are ready to move on.

The next team that wants to keep Schroeder for any lengthy spell will be the first.

That said... I'd take him over Payton at the moment... but I would still prefer to dip our toe into the D-League first, offer some point guards there 10 day deals.
I actually deleted my post before your response hit the board, not because I said something wrong but just because I can't stand the idea of defending Dennis. For most of his career he's been one of my least favorite people in the league - selfish, arrogant, team cancer and incredibly stupid.

But he played much better with Paul and for the first part of his Lakers career and he no longer seemed as arrogant or as stupid. If playing next to Chris gets us that guy, I want him. If it's the other Dennis, I'll pass.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually deleted my post before your response hit the board, not because I said something wrong but just because I can't stand the idea of defending Dennis. For most of his career he's been one of my least favorite people in the league - selfish, arrogant, team cancer and incredibly stupid.

But he played much better with Paul and for the first part of his Lakers career and he no longer seemed as arrogant or as stupid. If playing next to Chris gets us that guy, I want him. If it's the other Dennis, I'll pass.
Yeah. This is about where I am.

BTW, @FlexFromJersey is floating all sorts of stuff right now. Suns talking Sabonis with Indy. Thad Young is coming. Etc. Take it for what it is, but at least it is something to talk about. JJ usually does something completely out of the blue.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BTW, @FlexFromJersey is floating all sorts of stuff right now. Suns talking Sabonis with Indy. Thad Young is coming. Etc. Take it for what it is, but at least it is something to talk about. JJ usually does something completely out of the blue.

It's as clear as the YouTube video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Knicks might part with Julius Randel. PF and SBC problem solved. Any way we could get in on that?
Uh O he just unfollowed the Knicks on Twitter.
One of you younger folks tell me exactly wtf that means.
And do you want him?

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The only upgrade I’m making is getting a 2 guard that takes Shamet’s minutes. Otherwise, this team is fine as currently constructed

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knicks might part with Julius Randel. PF and SBC problem solved. Any way we could get in on that?
Uh O he just unfollowed the Knicks on Twitter.
One of you younger folks tell me exactly wtf that means.
And do you want him?

Randle is a total mess. He is the worst shooter in the league on open looks this season.

(Note: Dennis in on the board there too)

You should look up some of strange interactions with teammates too. Flat out ignoring them, not helping guys up who are down right in front of him, real passive aggressive stuff. Looking at Randle's career, his numbers last season look like the fluke, rather than this season him being in a slump. He is also in year 1 of a 5 year, 125 million dollar contract. Even dumping his salary will be a challenge for the Knicks.

De'Aaron Fox for Randle, either now or in the summer makes sense for both teams. A couple of broken players on huge deals.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's as clear as the YouTube video.

Has this goof ever broken a story? I know he has, often, jumped on the wagon when something gets reported and then claimed it was the ambiguous thing he was previously hinting at... but has he even been first out the gate with something that actually happened?

I am confused as to why I should think a guy who makes videos in his car, in New Jersey and looks like he washes cars for a living is an NBA insider?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has this goof ever broken a story? I know he has, often, jumped on the wagon when something gets reported and then claimed it was the ambiguous thing he was previously hinting at... but has he even been first out the gate with something that actually happened?

I am confused as to why I should think a guy who makes videos in his car, in New Jersey and looks like he washes cars for a living is an NBA insider?

It seems like he got some credit for breaking the Chris Paul trade but I'm not sure if that is correct.

Shams Charania did mention the Suns were interested in Thad Young after Flex had already mentioned it some time ago.

I hope someone joins in the discussion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes he was on CP3 way before anyone else

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes he was on CP3 way before anyone else
He was the first one I heard suggesting he had inside info that it was happening but he wasn't the first one I heard talking about it. So, maybe he had inside info and maybe he just jumped on a suggested trade proposal thinking it might have legs? Don't know for sure either way - I just find reading stuff like his entertaining but I never put much stock into it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He definitely has some source within the Suns but he has overplayed that a bit as well.

It makes it hard to count on what he says as reliable.

Monty benched Ayton for the entire 4th in Atlanta and then this came out from him.

Ayton certainly stepped up last game but you aren't maxing guys you bench for a whole quarter.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And someone is giving Ayton the max for sure so either you need to commit to paying him or you have to deal him at the deadline.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard "next available" language being used in the media in regard to the Suns ability to trade a first round draft pick before the trade deadline.

I don't recall that language being used in trades before but perhaps it's an option for the Suns to trade a future first round pick along with a player like Saric.

The Suns have protection on the first round pick traded to OKC for Chris Paul although it should convey in the 2022 draft.

Suns have a full complement of second round picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And someone is giving Ayton the max for sure so either you need to commit to paying him or you have to deal him at the deadline.

The Suns could match any offers to keep Ayton as a RFA this summer but if they do end up trading him then, I don't think Sabonis will be available.

It appears he will likely to be traded before the trade deadline if the rumor mill has it right. It's something to think about.

I would think Sabonis is one of the best outcomes if the Suns trade Ayton.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just see them more at a position of weakness then if the intent is to trade him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just see them more at a position of weakness then if the intent is to trade him.
I agree. If we're not giving him the max, the time to move on is now. There are some players I'd play hardball with and just max them, he isn't one of them. And I can't see us doing any better than Sabonis as long as we're not loading up with picks too. But that said, I'd rather have DA and I think we have every intention of giving him the max.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. If we're not giving him the max, the time to move on is now. There are some players I'd play hardball with and just max them, he isn't one of them. And I can't see us doing any better than Sabonis as long as we're not loading up with picks too. But that said, I'd rather have DA and I think we have every intention of giving him the max.

I've pretty much given up on the Suns acquiring draft picks unless they are going to be used in trade. I lost confidence when they didn't commit to keeping and developing Stix.

We agree, trading for Sabonis is the best trade option if the Suns are not committed to paying Ayton this summer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He definitely has some source within the Suns but he has overplayed that a bit as well.

It makes it hard to count on what he says as reliable.

Monty benched Ayton for the entire 4th in Atlanta and then this came out from him.

Ayton certainly stepped up last game but you aren't maxing guys you bench for a whole quarter.

I thought we went small and didn’t play any of our bigs. I remember in the game thread guys talking about Monty going small when we should be going big and making them match up to us not the other way around

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really was not making the assertion that he did, I was conceding that point to someone else (Phrazbit?)who asserted it. I think they were referring to the playoffs last year.

Quit and didn’t play well are two very different things.

As brought up before being a PG with Lebron is pretty damn hard since he’s so ball dominate

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thad Young would be useless here now with Biz balling out

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we went small and didn’t play any of our bigs. I remember in the game thread guys talking about Monty going small when we should be going big and making them match up to us not the other way around

Pre game next game they made it clear they benched him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA