Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would not give up future picks. You never know when you are going to end up with an injury plagued year, like the Warriors have had, and then you don't even get the pick compensation for the trouble. Unless it is a player that will be a part of the rotation going forward, I would not trade picks.
That’s why you place protection on it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how the Trail Blazers view Saric and what other teams offer. Saric has over $9 million left on his contract for next season.

I know he's owed next season but they'd save a lot this year due to not being tax payers. They'd save roughly $6 million this year, at least, getting below the tax threshold. I don't know the exact figures but his salary next season wouldn't be much an issue since they have a few expirings and they'll be a good bit below the threshold then.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I feel like the best option is to wait for Dragic to be waived and then bring him in. I'm guessing that Jones has already had conversations with Dragic's agent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he's owed next season but they'd save a lot this year due to not being tax payers. They'd save roughly $6 million this year, at least, getting below the tax threshold. I don't know the exact figures but his salary next season wouldn't be much an issue since they have a few expirings and they'll be a good bit below the threshold then.

I'm not against the trade. Obviously I'd like to keep the 1st round pick and use 2nd round picks.

The Suns need help at forward and it would open a roster spot for a guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the Covington love. When I watch him I can't help wonder what the heck happened to him, he seems a shadow of the player I watched regularly in Philadelphia. If he hasn't lost at least a half step and a little lift, the rest of the league has gotten faster and gained some hops.
Yeah. I get kind of a Trevor Ariza (a couple of years ago) vibe from him. His game seems to declining but everyone is in denial.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like the best option is to wait for Dragic to be waived and then bring him in. I'm guessing that Jones has already had conversations with Dragic's agent.

I am not overtly against it, skill wise, I think he is a very ideal combo guard.

But if he comes in here and needs "personal time" while their are whispers about his "role"... he will probably become my most hated Sun of all time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns last loss put them at 30-9, they had the league's best record at the time and since then they've played with an extremely short handed team, a few games scraping the minimum of the league's allowance for roster size and featured a long road trip.

They went 11-0 in that stretch. We are on pace for 67+ wins, a number that would smash our franchise record.

I don't know that I would want to do any trade right now. After the trade deadline try to target some ring chasing guys, other than that I would leave things as is.

We've never... ever... had a team this dominant. With the season nearly 2/3rds over, altering the best team in the NBA seems foolhardy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns last loss put them at 30-9, they had the league's best record at the time and since then they've played with an extremely short handed team, a few games scraping the minimum of the league's allowance for roster size and featured a long road trip.

They went 11-0 in that stretch. We are on pace for 67+ wins, a number that would smash our franchise record.

I don't know that I would want to do any trade right now. After the trade deadline try to target some ring chasing guys, other than that I would leave things as is.

We've never... ever... had a team this dominant. With the season nearly 2/3rds over, altering the best team in the NBA seems foolhardy.
I'm fine with a trade as long as it does not involve any contributing players, meaning any combo of Stix, Dario, Payton, Nader, Shamet and some pick compensation is fine if it's a good deal for us.

Don't see how moving any of that would affect the team at all for this season, except possibly make the team better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess this too, if Toronto has given permission. I don't mind a trade as long as it only includes fringe or injured players (Kaminsky, Saric, Smith, Payton etc) and it does not negatively impact our future salary negotiations with core players.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

The problem is, we have 2 guards you can count on. Payne was playing better after making adjustments, but both he and Shamet have been unreliable this year.

I think we need at least one more guard we can trust...putting too much on Book/CP put us in a bad spot last year.

Gordon seems like the ideal fit, but he's short and expensive. That said, of all the names mentioned, he's really the only one I can concieve of getting serious minutes in the playoffs. That should be a condition of giving up assets at this point, otherwise see who gets let go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is, we have 2 guards you can count on. Payne was playing better after making adjustments, but both he and Shamet have been unreliable this year.

I think we need at least one more guard we can trust...putting too much on Book/CP put us in a bad spot last year.

Gordon seems like the ideal fit, but he's short and expensive. That said, of all the names mentioned, he's really the only one I can concieve of getting serious minutes in the playoffs. That should be a condition of giving up assets at this point, otherwise see who gets let go.

The lack of depth at guard is indeed an issue and there is something wrong when Ish Wainright (a two way-player) is getting consistent minutes at forward, nothing against Wainright.

Suns are fine if everyone gets and stays healthy but capable players are needed to fill-in if a player needs rest or gets injured. Sometimes it's more about depth than rotation players. When I talk about depth I'm talking about players who can come off the bench without a significant dropoff in play.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I want to hear it from someone like Adrian Wojnarowski, Shams Charania or Marc Stein before I give rumors weight.
Just sharing. However, it seems more and more people are reporting about Gordon. Not that it's a legit scenario. However, if you keep hearing this over and over and through other channels? I think it's safe to say that there is genuine interest. I remember when Marion was traded all these people kept saying similar stuff before the big guys started reporting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sharing. However, it seems more and more people are reporting about Gordon. Not that it's a legit scenario. However, if you keep hearing this over and over and through other channels? I think it's safe to say that there is genuine interest. I remember when Marion was traded all these people kept saying similar stuff before the big guys started reporting.

Oh I understand. I read the same article.

However, there are only a handful of writers where I take the information to the bank.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This quote is from the article about the Suns being interested in Gordon. Do you buy this about James Jones? Is he the cap master this article makes him out to be?

Suns General Manager James Jones has been a master of salary cap management, often to the chagrin of onlookers as he builds the league’s best team.

From dumping T.J. Warren, Josh Jackson, De’Anthony Melton and a few second round picks for cap space to sign Ricky Rubio in 2019, to declining to engage Deandre Ayton’s representatives on extension talks in 2021 unless they were willing to negotiate below the max.

While ‘losing’ on most deals — including taking on the league’s worst contract in the aging Chris Paul — Jones has a beautiful cap sheet for the foreseeable future. By getting Cameron Payne, Chris Paul, Dario Saric and Jae Crowder all expiring or mostly non-guaranteed by summer of 2023, and Bridges (and hopefully Ayton) on small discounts, Jones has the financial freedom to at least conceive of keeping Cameron Johnson. The 2023-24 season is when Johnson would join Booker, Bridges and Ayton in their expensive new deals. If Jones wants any chance at keeping all of them, he needs a clear cap sheet in 2023-24.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spotrac says that Gordon's contract for 2023-24 is not guaranteed. That alters my perspective a bit. We are already most of the way through this year, so the risk is really only for one year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotrac says that Gordon's contract for 2023-24 is not guaranteed. That alters my perspective a bit. We are already most of the way through this year, so the risk is really only for one year.

Yep. That's what they were saying on one of the national radio shows. I mean IMO we only have a two year window to win this thing. If they can't get it done this year my guess is we only have one more legit shot at it before it becomes a game of when Chris Paul falls off the proverbial cliff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's what they were saying on one of the national radio shows. I mean IMO we only have a two year window to win this thing. If they can't get it done this year my guess is we only have one more legit shot at it before it becomes a game of when Chris Paul falls off the proverbial cliff.
Agreed. This is the time to go for it and push all the chips in.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More trade speculation about Gordon.

The more I look into this the less I am interested. I am migrating from 'having a hard time talking myself into it' to a 'hard pass'.

But then, swapping 24 year old Shamet for 33 year old Eric Gordon has upside limitations, and don’t forget that Gordon shot just 31% and 32% on threes the last two years before this and has a career 3P shooting% lower than Shamet’s.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Really interesting perspective on adding Josh Hart. I actually like this idea. Another tough defender who will compete on that end of the floor. Great rebounder for his size. Can play both 2 guard and small forward in certain lineups. He’d be an awesome 8th man off the bench. Plus, he’s got a rapport with Mikal being college teammates. The contract would be manageable as he’s on an expiring deal. I think the Suns should take a look.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup. I believe 67 wins puts them in the top 10 seasons all time. Gives some perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA