Should the Suns chase Harrison Barnes?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He just turns 24 in May.

6'8 SF that can play some PF in small ball lineups.

Averages about 14/6/2 per 36 46%FG 37%3s and a decent defensive player.

He will be looking for the max which is about 22M$.

Harrison Barnes and Dwight Powell in free agency.

Suns salary cap would be 55,4M$ (drop everyone except Tucker) this includes 8 players (Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, Goodwin, Warren, Tucker, Len, Chandler).
+4 3.6M$
+12 2M$
+28 1M$
+34 700k

= 62.7 - Projected salary cap 90M$ =27.3M$

Barnes would take up 20-22M$ in capspace, ~22 would be the max for him.

That would leave the Suns with only 5M$ remaining in capspace. Probably not enough to sign Dwight Powell or even Mirza Teletovic.

The Suns could shop PJ Tucker on draft day to move up in the draft while losing his contract opening up an additional 5M$ to sign Powell.
Alternatively if the Suns could move Knight for a young player and caproom however that might be enough to sign Dwight Powell and a backup PG like Jeremy Lin.

In the near future the Suns have to worry about extending Len. When Warren and Booker are coming up for extensions the salary cap will have gone up even further and Chandler will be off the books.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harrison Barnes has star potential. He has a very good skill set, excellent athleticism, and I believe plays two-ways. His age is right for this team. If his brain is right for this team, it might make sense DEPENDING on what happens in the draft.

If the Suns draft Ingram, I do not see the point.

You do have to limit your high salary players though. YOu only pursue Barnes if you can move one of Bledsoe, Knight, or Chandler. You are going to have to pay Booker and Len some day, and perhaps Warren, plus this years first pick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Isn't Barnes a very inconsistent player?

Maybe, signing him is a gamble of course.

It would be similiar to say Atlanta signing Joe Johnson from us.

Remember Barnes turned down 16M$ per year last year from Golden State as an extension.

You can only try to predict that he would develop more and show more in a bigger role on a different team.

Chances are you either end up with an expensive player worth his contract or you end up with a very overpaid player. It is risky.

It is too bad we couldn't see Warren continuing to develop this year.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe, signing him is a gamble of course.

It would be similiar to say Atlanta signing Joe Johnson from us.

Remember Barnes turned down 16M$ per year last year from Golden State as an extension.

You can only try to predict that he would develop more and show more in a bigger role on a different team.

Chances are you either end up with an expensive player worth his contract or you end up with a very overpaid player. It is risky.

It is too bad we couldn't see Warren continuing to develop this year.
Dang Injuries.:mulli::)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sure we shouldn't keep our free agent powder dry this summer. It might be best to see what trades happen (Knight, PJ?), and who we get in the draft. We will be adding alot of new pieces together next year in Booker, Warren, Bledsoe, and draft picks. I would put that group together and see how they perform. Then use the following summer's free agency to add what we really need.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That is why I say pass. If you don't take a small paycut to be an integral part of the defending champs, who have at least a 4-5 year window of competing barring major injury, then you're not the sort of player I'd want around a bunch of developing youngsters. It's bad enough we got Bledsoe, whose agent is Rich Paul, but for the most part it seems all of the guys here buy into the team first attitude.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is why I say pass. If you don't take a small paycut to be an integral part of the defending champs, who have at least a 4-5 year window of competing barring major injury, then you're not the sort of player I'd want around a bunch of developing youngsters. It's bad enough we got Bledsoe, whose agent is Rich Paul, but for the most part it seems all of the guys here buy into the team first attitude.

I don't have a problem with that. He already won one championship, and it will likely be two. I do not have a problem with a player making a wise business choice and also potentially seeking a larger role on a developing team. Its about seeking your full potential as a player.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6M$ + per year is not exactly a small paycut.

And as a young player who has already won everything as a team he may look for a challenge where he can show more individually.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You would want to cut Booker? Did I read that right?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Barnes fan. Even their own fans are hoping the Warriors let him walk rather than overpaying for him.

I used to like him when he was a college prospect but in the NBA not so much. He plays in a system where Curry and Klay draw all the attention giving him wide open looks and yet his percentages are still not that great.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If you ask me I'll say no thanks. Don't think he's got the goods to be top 2-3 on a contending team.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think they should chase him just like they did Lebron and Aldridge. As long as they don't catch him. Seriously, he'd be a nice player to have but even in this era of fast rising salaries, max is too much for him. I'd love to have him on a contract similar to the one that both Bledsoe and Knight are on but no higher and there's no chance he'd settle for that deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they should chase him just like they did Lebron and Aldridge. As long as they don't catch him. Seriously, he'd be a nice player to have but even in this era of fast rising salaries, max is too much for him. I'd love to have him on a contract similar to the one that both Bledsoe and Knight are on but no higher and there's no chance he'd settle for that deal.

I don't know about that. His numbers are really mediocre and he is rather inefficient despite being on a team that thrives on efficiency. IMO his relative level of prestige is due almost entirely to the guys around him. If he was putting up these same numbers on just about any other team he'd be viewed as replacement level.

If I had to guess his next contract I'd say 4 years 60 million... which still seems like a serious overpay, even with the rising cap.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
46.3%FG and 37.3%3 is not inefficient.

Last year he shot 48.2%FG and 40.5%3s.

He is averaging 14/6/2/1 per 36.

If he can increase his volume a little on a worse team he could be a 19/6/3 small forward with good defense and decent shooting percentages.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
46.3%FG and 37.3%3 is not inefficient.

Last year he shot 48.2%FG and 40.5%3s.

He is averaging 14/6/2/1 per 36.

If he can increase his volume a little on a worse team he could be a 19/6/3 small forward with good defense and decent shooting percentages.

It is when you don't get to the line and add next to nothing else statistically. PER of 12, he already plays 30 minutes per game, throwing out per 36 numbers seems pointless (and those per 36 numbers suck anyway) and about 99% of guys see their efficiency dip when volume goes up.

Furthermore, I'm not sure what makes him a good defender, advanced stats say he isn't basic stats say he isn't.

IMO he is what he is and a max contract or near max contract for a mediocre role player would be an awful idea.