Shelter in Place Talk - Fight the boredom

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Zeno, Apr 2, 2020.

1. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

When I was in elementary school, we had a closed-circuit television system. (Paid for in part by Walt Disney who would occasionally appear to talk to us about his new projects.) One of the classes was Spanish and they started us in 2nd or 3rd grade. A class full of thirty blonde 7-year old’s speaking Spanish back to a big TV set. Awesome.

The problem was most of us, once we used it outside of school, picked up horrible Tijuana accents and learned to speak a pigeon Spanglish that is indecipherable to anyone who doesn’t know where Whittier Boulevard is.

MrYeahbut and Mainstreet like this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Good Morning.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Hola.

Mainstreet and Ronin like this.
  4. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed

I'm sure this will shock some of you but thought I would let you all know, that yesterday I volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19. The vaccine is one that was created in Russia.
    I received my first shot at 4:00PM and I wanted to let you all know that it’s completely safe, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши. - этот пост украден у друга в пожарной части

5. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

If you haven't used this site, it's really terrific. You can get any question answered in the forum section in short order. The dictionary is the bomb... you can click on any word and it will take you to the definition of that word. I get lost and go in circles sometimes... I look up one word and end up looking at 20 of them.. lol

Their forums are awesome, no trolling and I mean no trolling! You get banned for the slightest rule breaking. They run a tight ship over there.

If you go to the English Only forum, you'd be surprised at the number of people from different countries that are wanting to learn English. Especially from Korea and China. https://www.wordreference.com/

I make a lot of mistakes but I generally get my point across. I speak intermediate but I can read pretty well.

News and gossip MSN Latino.. https://www.msn.com/es-us/noticias/other/

I've watched a few Telenovelas... all 160 episodes of La Dueña!!! Main character is H.O.T

Espero que te diviertas aprendiendo el idioma

thirty-two and Mainstreet like this.
  6. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

Thanks for the links and info! I will definitely check it out.

I started this on Sep 1 and so far have done 30 min (or more) everyday except for one. I’m liking this pace for now. I realize I have a loooooong ass way to go until fluency but you have to start somewhere right?

7. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

I get it. I started to learn how to play the guitar at age 72. I have practiced an hour a day for a year and I can barely chop out simple chords. I understand the music, the fingers don't move like they used to.

It's probably the same with your vocal chords. They'll be forced into positions they've never been. If at all possible, have someone help you with your pronunciation. To me, that's very important, if you sound like a total gringa, you'll be much more self conscious and nervous. Don't worry if you can't roll your R's right away, it'll come.

¡Buena suerte!

thirty-two likes this.
  8. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Vegas, Salt Lake City, Vegas. Great road trip weekend.

Attended our 5th state fair (first fair for us in Utah, also).

Zeno likes this.
  9. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

My week long road trip was uneventful. Weather was nice even though it was cool the last couple of mornings. Most of it was spent in Ohio, we had stops in Sandusky, Cleveland, Ashtabula, Columbus, Dayton & Cincy. Didn't get to do much, it was work, driving and hotels--that gets old.

My freaking neighbors had a party on Saturday night, bunch of idiots doing burn outs with a big ass diesel truck in the street, they had their music blaring until after 4 AM and I swear I heard gun shots in the park across the street. Wasn't a good nights sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised the Cardinals were on TV here in Chicago yesterday.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  10. Ronin

Ronin Registered

thirty-two and AZ Native like this.
  11. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Watching the Netflix doc on the Challenger mission. I remember that day really well, I was in 8th grade math class (right next to future actress Jennie Garth) when someone from the school office came in to the classroom and broke the news to our teacher. Certain days you never forget, I am sure it was the same way for those who were around when JFK was shot or Pearl Harbor attacked.

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

We must be the same age then. I remember being pulled out of homeroom and they rolled the 19" tube TV into the library and we all watched it for hours. Dad was a huge space nerd and I was right there with him so it was particularly devastating.

Zeno likes this.
  13. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I remember back then there were 2 Valley newspapers, the AZ Republic that was delivered in the morning and the Phoenix Gazette that was the evening paper, my family got the Gazette and it was all over the front page.

The Netflix series is a really good watch, lots of stuff I didn't know especially concerning the manufacturer of the rocket boosters.

14. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Didn't it come down to a faulty O-ring or something like that?

15. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I don't like to think about the Challenger mission. It brings back a lot of heartache. High school teacher Christa McAuliffe was going to share her experiences in space with her students.

Later I heard the astronauts were likely alive until they hit the water.

It's a shame there was not some type of emergency parachute enclosed in the capsule that could have been used.

Zeno likes this.