Shelter in Place Talk - Fight the boredom

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Zeno, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Since most of the country has shelter in place orders I thought maybe we could have a one stop shop to pass the time. No politics, no more depressing virus talk, just chatting about whatever to keep each other company. Random topics, post fun memes/videos whatever. Lets keep it light and fun.

I've been working from home for almost 3 weeks now and the only social contact I have had is my wife--24/7 and we've been together 20 years, kind of run out of things to talk about LOL

I will start...

What age were you when you purchased your first home? I was just a couple months shy of 31. Was in the military and then rented when I got out for years. I've moved 3 times since then.

Where was the worst place you've lived? Easily for me it was Douglas, AZ--that town is a dirty pit of a place with the only appeal being some good Mexican food and low cost of living.

What is the longest you've worked for a single employer? 20+ years for me--I've moved multiple times but it's been a transfer or promotion.

2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Both of us are "essential" because we work in education. I am working more than ever (going in to work) while my wife has transitioned to working from home full-time (and considering continuing to do so if/when things return to "normal"). Yesterday was our 20th wedding anniversary (together for 27 years total).

What age were you when you purchased your first home? 27. Still in it (looking forward to it being paid off soon. No other debt.) No plans on moving anytime soon. Love our house/location.

Where was the worst place you've lived? Hard to say. Only lived in Reseda, CA, Scottsdale, AZ, Tempe, AZ, and Mesa, AZ. No complaints. BTW: Huge fan of El Chef down in Douglas, AZ - great Mexican food.

What is the longest you've worked for a single employer? Worked for my family business (a mattress/furniture shop) from the time I was 14 until I was 38. Started out just helping on deliveries in the evenings and weekends, worked full time throughout college and a bit after, then worked evenings and weekends again once I got my current job. Eventually my mom and uncle decided to retire and I was not going to continue the business, so it shut down and they are now landlords to a friend who runs a mattress shop out of our old building (still owned by my grandfather who started the business). 14 years at my current job.

Zeno likes this.
  3. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I would assume there are no students, what do you do at work now? All I have right now is monitoring my emails for new taskings and conference calls...neither of which is exciting. Had a couple of projects last week, one of which is dealing the DNC in Milwaukee which the virus may not even let happen (time will tell on that).

Congratulations on your anniversary, my wife and I have our 19 year in July...been together for just over 20.

4. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

Does anyone know any fun game apps you can play with others? I was listening to sxm last night and the dj mentioned a great one and I thought "I should wake up and download this." I didn't though and just feel back asleep

5. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

One of my daughters moved in last month with my granddaughter. We have been watching all the Disney animated movies on order.

BigRedRage likes this.
  6. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

IT Support / Help Desk. Been busy prepping and distributing devices (Chromebooks and hotspots) so students can participate in online learning. Answering the phones and walking teachers and parents through various issues including how to access/use Google Classroom and explaining how to use Microsoft Teams, etc. Our department has been using Teams for quite some time and the original plan was to slowly roll it out to staff. Plans change.

Congrats on your 20 years together and your upcoming wedding anniversary, too.

Zeno likes this.
  7. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

How many weeks of online schooling for them to finish the school year?

8. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

My wife and I started playing Song Quiz on the Amazon Echo, sort of like name that tune. You pick the decade and it gives you a snippet of a song (7 total) you get points for song title and artist. Helps pass the time.

Yesterday I found Film Quiz--you get dialogue from a movie and have to guess the title. I was surprisingly good at it. My wife always says I have way too much useless knowledge in my head.

Not sure if you have an Echo or not but there are options there.

If I had kids around I'd break out the board/card games I guess. How often do you get to have family game nights anymore?

I have made my way through Netflix & Amazon Prime.

Absolute Zero and cwamjn like this.
  9. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Do you go out at all (Store, pick up food, etc?)

10. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

I have an echo and try to play the song quiz but have yet to beat anyone. I wish I woke up for that app but I guess if it's good I'll hear about it again.

I have three adults, two teenagers, a kid and a toddler right now. I try board and card games but the teenagers only want to play the meme games. I'm thinking I might order scattergories, shocked I don't have it, that should be fun for all without having to explain to my 8 year old may nasty terms.

There is also a you don't know Jack on Amazon fire, I'll download that tonight.

11. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Not much, grocery store a couple of times a week and I try to go early enough that there aren't a lot of people there.

Trying to keep my interactions with others to a minimum. The Chicago area has been particularly hard hit we've gone from 3000 cases to nearly 7000 in 5 days and from 34 to 141 deaths in the same amount of time. I'm glad I am capable of working from home--I ride a crowded commuter train to/from the city normally.

Got some good work related news today, the Democratic National Convention is pushed to August, gives me another month to work out logistics even if it makes planning a little more difficult since we went from in person meetings a couple of times a month to conference calls.

12. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

One of my nephews is a cop for the Univ of Milwaukee - they have been doing training for the DNC for almost a year. We were planning a family vacation to Oregon mid July, and he wasn't able to go because of the convention.

13. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

To be honest picking Milwaukee was a mistake--it doesn't even have the hotel space to handle the influx of people. Some of the delegates are going to be staying in Chicago near O'Hare and getting bussed up every day. I will be bringing people in and staying 45 minutes away. It's a headache.

I have a ton of vacation time I have to use or lose this year (almost 5 full weeks) but with the situation I can't even plan anything.

14. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Good idea, Zeno!

I was 28 when we bought our home. We're still there! We had been married 2 years so 22 years married this Saturday! Wow, it's funny to type that out.

Worst place I lived was around 7th St. and Maryland. Only good thing in the area was the Denny's. I don't usually have anything nice to say about Denny's but that one rules. Our apartment complex was a converted motel and the phones were on a party line. Plus it was meth central. Good luck getting a line out between 8pm and 8am. I remember someone punching a hole in my front door one night. I also remember the SWAT team converging on the place because one of the residents had robbed the bank and walked home.

I've been at my current employer since '05 I think. That's my longest anywhere.

Ronin, cardncubfan and Zeno like this.
  15. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Yeah your worst place sounds like it would suck. Probably pretty scary too.

It’s cool that people live in one place for so long. I guess I have the itch to move, I’d have probably moved more often if my wife was willing. I had a former boss get a job in Boston a few years back and he wanted to take me with him, he’s in DC now and wants me there too but my wife says she is done with moving. I can retire in 2028 and Illinois is not my idea of a good place to retire so I will just wait to move until then.