shawn marion looked like he had a phoenix jersey on

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I know it was only one preseason game.........

but he sure did look like the old matrix. flying all over the court, rebounding, easy dunks and layups, that little runner in the lane, put backs. He even got above the rim a couple of times receiving the ball from j kidd and j terry. I think if he can stay healthy he will fit in nicely with the mavs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Mavs system fits in more with what he was used to. The East doesn't run as much etc.. He will contribute.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still miss Marion. He always came to play.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I dont... He is a one-way player like Nash and Barbosa who can only excel in this up-tempo style but when it is playoff times or facing teams that don't allow you to run like that he is very inefficient..

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I still miss Marion. He always came to play.

So do I. Cuban says he'll be a starter in Dallas and I hope he does well this year. It may be only preseason, but last night's 15/4 in less than 18 minutes sounds like he's a good fit there.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
He never looked comfortable in a Raps or Heat jersey. He's gonna have a bounce back year and help the Mavs in their playoff push.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Around here I thought it was official that Marion is a cancer and a complainer who disappears in the playoffs and is overrated as a defender and his freak athleticism is deteriorating. Anything positive related to Marion has to be atributed to other players not being good, or his new teammates hiding the flaws that were so appearent in Phoenix that we traded his worthless ***.:sarcasm:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around here I thought it was official that Marion is a cancer and a complainer who disappears in the playoffs and is overrated as a defender and his freak athleticism is deteriorating. Anything positive related to Marion has to be atributed to other players not being good, or his new teammates hiding the flaws that were so appearent in Phoenix that we traded his worthless ***.:sarcasm:

I challenge you to explain how that's not true.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont... He is a one-way player like Nash and Barbosa who can only excel in this up-tempo style but when it is playoff times or facing teams that don't allow you to run like that he is very inefficient..
I enjoyed watching Marion do his thing,flying around the rim,"D'ing up on Dirk etc...but no, I don't miss him either(just another dingleberry attached to the fun n gun system that won't die here). He should do very well in DALLAS.

DALLAS fans will delight over Marions regular season performance, but shake their heads in frustration if he's called upon to make a play on offense in the more deliberate playoff's.

A very good pickup for the MAVS nonetheless IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans for the sake of their argument ignore that Marion was forced to play PF for the Suns and defend PFs in the playoff that put him at an extreme height disadvantage. This is why he often seemingly disappeared in the playoffs when the game slowed down.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I had three major problems with Marion
1. His contract paid too much for him to not be the best player on the team.
2. He didn't improve his individual talents such as ball handling and creating his own shot.
3. He would camp out at the 3 pt line and be disengaged from the offense at times in the playoff but it relates to the previous problem.

I thought he covered up for Nash's defense while Nash was winning MVP's based upon his offense. I thought playing him at power forward put him at a disadvantage because he is not a physical player he is a finesse player. Playoff basketball is thug ball but that is not his fault that is the fault of the way the NBA is run by Stern.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score

Around here there are a few less officious--I mean official--than others. ;)

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans for the sake of their argument ignore that Marion was forced to play PF for the Suns and defend PFs in the playoff that put him at an extreme height disadvantage. This is why he often seemingly disappeared in the playoffs when the game slowed down.

Yet when Amare plays against centers and struggles people say it's an effort thing and criticize him for it. And Marion is far less effective at doing it than Amare is.

Funny world.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yet when Amare plays against centers and struggles people say it's an effort thing and criticize him for it. And Marion is far less effective at doing it than Amare is.

Funny world.
Undersized Centers and Power Forwards. For the Suns, it goes on and on and on and on . . .

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
marion took a lot of heat in phoenix in spite of being the 3rd best guy on his team. steve nash and amare were untouchable. marion is a all star caliber player at best, not a superstar. therefore he is not a guy that you.. put a game on his shoulders come playoff time.... and say go win it for me. that's what superstar players should be doing.

most of you are dead on with you comments. a lot of marion's game disappears come playoff time when most guys are playing just as hard as he does every night....and there is a lot of half court. I think marion will thrive playing in dallas if he, howard, and the other guys can stay healthy.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
marion took a lot of heat in phoenix in spite of being the 3rd best guy on his team. steve nash and amare were untouchable. marion is a all star caliber player at best, not a superstar. therefore he is not a guy that you.. put a game on his shoulders come playoff time.... and say go win it for me. that's what superstar players should be doing.

most of you are dead on with you comments. a lot of marion's game disappears come playoff time when most guys are playing just as hard as he does every night....and there is a lot of half court. I think marion will thrive playing in dallas if he, howard, and the other guys can stay healthy.
True Lorenzo, but it's not the SUNS who put Marion in that position, it's the opposing team leaving Marion to make a play with the shot clock under :10 sec. in a half-court or deliberate situation(out of a timeout etc...)
As 3rd fiddle, Marion's game wasn't condusive to creating something out of nothing when the defense took away the top 2 playmakers(Nash/Amare).
I rarely (if ever) bashed Marion for anything, he's an unusual type of player. In the right system(like D'Antoni's) he can do alot of things.

Again, IMO Shawn will have a nice season for you guys.
Good luck this year :).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The reality is PF remains Marion's best position because of his sub-awful ball handling and shooting. There was a moment early in Marion's career when the Suns considered going the other way -- moving Marion to shooting guard -- but he showed zero ambition in improving his ball skills or changing his shot.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6 Points 4 Rebounds through 3 quarters, this guy has seriously declined and exposed since getting out of the Suns favorable system.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
6 Points 4 Rebounds through 3 quarters, this guy has seriously declined and exposed since getting out of the Suns favorable system.

Then apparently he had a great 4th Q. Too bad the Suns don't have a few more who put up 16/7 in 35 minutes (along with a steal, 3 blocks, and no TOs). He's looking good just coming back from an injury.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah he only had +/- -17at home against the Wizards, by far the worst on the Mavs. Doesnt help he could stuff his stats in the 4th quarter a little.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The reality is PF remains Marion's best position because of his sub-awful ball handling and shooting. There was a moment early in Marion's career when the Suns considered going the other way -- moving Marion to shooting guard -- but he showed zero ambition in improving his ball skills or changing his shot.

Actually, he couldn't defend quick or strong SF/SG very well. He used to bite on any #$%^ing headfake by anyone. He became better only after 2nd year with DA. So, defending PF with his quickness was best option out of all. Later, he became better at not biting the head fakes and could shadow PG and other quick positions rather well. But, then he was already starting the decline.