Shaq's first practice

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty good read. I like Shaq's thought process and how he seems to be working to learn the offense & getting into shape (working out 2x a day). Here's the full article for anyone that doesn't want to click through:

Shaq looks healthy in 1st practice

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 11, 2008 01:42 PM

Shaquille O'Neal practiced with his new Suns team for the first time today but it remains unknown whether he will play his first game for Phoenix this week or after the All-Star break.

The instant reviews were that O'Neal looked a lot healthier than advertised but that it would take some time to incorporate him into the Suns system and get his conditioning ready for game play.

"I think it's going to be a little bit," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "It's going to be an adjustment for our guys, him and everybody else. It's hard to think and play basketball at the same time. So right now, he's got to think where he's going to go and all that. But it's going to be good chemistry. It's going to change things up, hopefully for the better."

Here is some of what O'Neal said after practice:

• On his first practice: "A lot of running. This is something very different for me. I'll just have to get in tune to what everybody is doing. When you talk about being a great team, everybody has to be on the same page. I don't want to be the one who slows us up, even half a millisecond."

• On the Suns' system: "This system involves a lot of moment. The other one was just standing - pound, pound, pound. I think it's going to be good for me playing the open game with the greatest point guard and one of the greatest power forwards to play the game."

• On his conditioning: "It was terrible. I haven't done anything in a month. But I'm in pretty good shape so it'll probably take me a few more days to get into 'em. The good thing about these guys here is they tell me when I'm comfortable, when I'm at 100 percent, I can join them. But I'm going to be out here working hard every day, working out two times a day at 24 Hour Fitness, just try to get out there with my new teammates."

• On his injured hip: "I felt a little bit. We're going to go in there and do some treatment. It's feeling better than it did before. I'm really comfortable with alternative-style treatments that we're doing."

• On when might play: "I don't want to say. I want to get my wind to at least 75-80 percent and I want to be in tune to the offense so I'm going to be going over the offense every day. I'm going to be watching films. I'm not going to rush anything. This is already a fine-tuned machine. Any little negative kink could throw it off. I don't want to be the negative kink. So I want to step in like I've been with this team the last three years. I have to make sure everything's right."

• On the practice: "It was different. It was very intense. I learned a lot. I had fun. Now, I can see why they can go at the pace they play at. When you just do short bursts like this, then you can save it all for the games. I look to have a lot of energy for the people here in Phoenix who are expecting a lot out of me. I expect them to continue to be loud and get a little more louder. It's going to be a fun journey for all of us."

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
there was so much spelled wrong in that article. with that said i HOPE shaq plays before the break. i wanna see how this is going to be already.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he'll start in the Dallas game, but I wouldn't expect him to play more than 15-20 minutes (maybe less). GS will be tough because they don't really play a C (even Beidrens is a PF)......of course we could always try to force them to match up with us. We've done that with small ball for years and now we could finally do it with a bigger team. How would GS be able to defend both Shaq & Amare in the post? If they double team both of them then Nash, LB & Bell will be wide open for 3. GS really doesn't have anyone that can defend Amare by themselves......nevermind Shaq.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Shaq said something to the effect he liked running his body really did not have a clue as to what the Suns consider running. :)

Sometimes the mind is willing but the body is not. I think he can fit into the Suns system but he will have to adapt physically more than mentally. Saying one likes running and then having to run a marathon in a matter of days are two different things.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the comments, I don't expect him to start before all star game.

I agree and it is the logical thing to do, but I think the Suns will be hard pressed not to give the fans at least a preview with Dallas at home.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
I see a token sub in just to introduce him to the home team and at least get a feel of the game live. I think MD wants to crush the Lakers at home and if I were him I'd get Shaq in there a little bit before playing an important game like that.

He said his hip didn't hurt too much so playing him for a couple minutes might be what's in store. I think Mike and Steve know that fans are impatient and will want to see Shaq as soon as possible, even if it's for a couple minutes in the second quarter.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
I agree and it is the logical thing to do, but I think the Suns will be hard pressed not to give the fans at least a preview with Dallas at home.

exactly. curious paying fans will be watching the lakers game no matter what. it might be better to give shaq a feel for the suns system in real action as early as possible. we don't want to rush it, but if we can play him even just for a couple of minutes, then why not?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like more after the All-Star break for Shaq after reading the East Valley Tribune article. Not much more news, but it just gives a little more idea of Shaq's conditioning.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/108741

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't want to put him in too soon. I'd hate for him to try to overcompensate and pull a hammy or something. Those things seem to take forever to completely heal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't want to put him in too soon. I'd hate for him to try to overcompensate and pull a hammy or something. Those things seem to take forever to completely heal.

Agree, although if the Suns need a last minute stop against GS or Dallas, who knows.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
so shaq is claiming to be better than bill walton in that second video? hmmm...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that he is even bothering to practice enough to get winded is good news, to me anyway.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
he looks pretty slim for being shaq. definitely alot more slim than ive seen the past couple years. im sure he's trying to keep his weight down in hoping it puts lets stress on his hips and knees.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shaq/Walton stuff is awesome.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune: "After watching a few of Shaq's thunderous dunks during a personal workout Sunday and in practice Monday, some of his new teammates have strongly requested that the team reinforce the apparatus currently supporting the two baskets at the team's practice court. Brian Skinner and Sean Marks are the players who now have the task of guarding O'Neal in practice and would be the first ones in the path of any possible falling debris. 'Basically, they've said they don't have the confidence to be under those baskets right now,' one Suns official said. 'And I can't say I blame them.' After watching one of Shaq's slams during his personal workout Sunday, guard Leandro Barbosa shook his head and said 'Man, that thing is coming down.'"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose