Shaq To Cavaliers Talk Is Back

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Cleveland pick is worthless. You could pick up a player on the FA market that will contribute as much as a player at that pick. I would rather sign a "D" league player you have seen play then a player at that draft position out of college.

Thats a pretty ridiculous statement, lots of nice NBA players have been picked in the late 1st round or even the 2nd round, including some All Stars.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Michael Finley was, what, #27?

Arenas slipped out of the 1st as did Boozer. There's all kinds of good potential late in the 1st. I'd rather have a shot at the crap shoot than to not even play the roll....

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Even with 2 garbage draft picks, there is still a small chance at one of them netting us a decent player on a cheap draft pick salary.

And if the player(s) suck, they are on 28-30 pick draft salaries aka 5 pennies on the dollar.

I will be extremely EXTREMELY disappointed if the suns don't get 2 first rounders, because that will be the final cement on sarver being a garbage owner. At that point passing on two draft picks is basically saving money above and beyond all and skipping trying to eventually rebuild competently. Pure money at the expense of draft picks for later rebuilding = just sell the damn franchise if that is all he cares about.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Michael Finley was, what, #27?

Arenas slipped out of the 1st as did Boozer. There's all kinds of good potential late in the 1st. I'd rather have a shot at the crap shoot than to not even play the roll....

IIRC the pathetic lakers trade netted memphis Marc Gasol, who was drafted later on in the 2nd round.

As we have or SHOULD HAVE learned after losing igoudala, deng, rondo, nate robinson, rudy fernandez, etc etc never EVER pass up on draft picks, even late first rounders.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
We need at least two first rounders (unprotected) and JJ Hickson, otherwise I hate this deal. It strikes me as a pure salary dump. I'd be much happier with Chandler from NO or even Howard from Dallas; at least then we're getting proven NBA players.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very few teams trade already expiring contracts to save money, and yet the Suns have done that several times now, so this wouldn't surprise me. This trade would do absolutely nothing to improve this team, and even if Wallace retires this summer we won't be able to sign any free agents with the money we save. And why would Cleveland throw in draft picks if they think Sarver is desperate enough to trade Shaq for nothing?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I have the utmost faith Kerr mess this one. He'll probably try to include our own draft picks to get this deal done.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
You guys who are demanding 1st round picks or else this trade is garbage are completely wrong. Shasha's deal is not 100% guaranteed, so they could waive him and only pay a part of his contract for next season. Ben Wallace is close to retirement and that could be the reason this deal goes down.

Trading Shaq in this deal with Wallace retiring and Sasha being waived saves the Suns $20 million dollars and puts them around $12 million under the cap for this summer.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys who are demanding 1st round picks or else this trade is garbage are completely wrong. Shasha's deal is not 100% guaranteed, so they could waive him and only pay a part of his contract for next season. Ben Wallace is close to retirement and that could be the reason this deal goes down.

Trading Shaq in this deal with Wallace retiring and Sasha being waived saves the Suns $20 million dollars and puts them around $12 million under the cap for this summer.

How do you figure? The NBA salary cap for 2009-2010 will be around 59-60 million (last year was 58, so 60 this year is a good guess)

The suns right now are at 75 million including Nash's team option, I think if we buy out Wallace's contract it will STILL count against the cap, and ifwe immediatly wave Pavalic, we still owe him 1.5 million..

For arguments sake lets say Wallace retires and the money doesn't count against the cap then including the 1.5 guarteed for Sasha, we would be at 58, and still having to sign our Draft picks... So in essance the best case scernio is we (Sarver) won't have to pay the luxary Tax, and lets face it because thats a possibility it probabaly will happend and once again the suns will get FLEECED in a deal...

There is no way we could be 12 million below the cap this summer

I am just SICK about this whole thing... Seriously if Hickson or a couple 1st round picks are not included in the deal I am going to lose it

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Ah nevermind, i just realized that on HoopsHype they dont have Nash's option figured into the cap number for this upcoming season.

Either way, moving Shaq's contract isnt exactly going to be easy and not many teams are just going to give up first round picks unless they are sending out bad contracts in return.

It seems very likely that the Suns want to move Shaq so that they can justify trading Amare and cutting their payroll and luxury tax in one summer. If they just trade Amare and keep Shaq they might as well have traded Amare at the deadline, because they still will owe Shaq his contract.

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I am just SICK about this whole thing... Seriously if Hickson or a couple 1st round picks are not included in the deal I am going to lose it

The thing is, why would Cleveland trade their only legit prospect and future picks for an expiring contract in Shaq when they are sending out expiring contracts? It makes no sense for the Cavs to do that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cleveland pick is worthless. You could pick up a player on the FA market that will contribute as much as a player at that pick. I would rather sign a "D" league player you have seen play then a player at that draft position out of college.

I can think of at least four players that might be available at #30 in which I have interest: Darren Collison, Patrick Mills, Dionte Christmas and Rodrigue Beaubois. I'm sure there are other players that would deserve a good look with this pick. I think Christmas is a real sleeper but I like the PGs.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty ridiculous statement, lots of nice NBA players have been picked in the late 1st round or even the 2nd round, including some All Stars.

It would be ridiculous if the odds were not stacked against you. I could name twice and many busts at that pick then you could name players that went on to be "decent".

I didn't say it was impossible...just unlikely. So the odds are the pick will not help you.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Leaked by Shaq's people to overshadow his former nemesis Kobe and his current one Dwight Howard. They'll get some value for Shaq when all is said and done even if it is a unproven prospect.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin I don't think you're assigning enough value to shaq. He is not garbage. May I remind you he played amazing last year, was an all-star. The cavs greatly desire his kind of production and his contract is extremely valuable. A 20 mil expiring contract is extremely attractive to nba teams. They want a ring in cleveland. Shaq wants a ring. If it works out Shaq isn't going anywhere and they re-sign him. If it doesn't work out, Cleveland is not saddled with an exorbitant salary. It really is a homerun for C land.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing is, why would Cleveland trade their only legit prospect and future picks for an expiring contract in Shaq when they are sending out expiring contracts? It makes no sense for the Cavs to do that.

Because Shaq is a 20 million dollar expiring contract, PLUS he is a 3rd Team All-NBA C and an All Star last year...

If the Cavs have Shaq this year they are NBA Champs, so getting Shaq gives them a MUCH better opportunity to win NOW, and KEEP LeBron, as well as a 20 million dollar expiring contract, meaning they are no worse off at the end of the season..

So in the end, the Cavs are not giving up A SINGLE THING in aquireing Shaq, not ONE, so getting one asset in return doesn't seem like a long stretch... Its not like we are getting to include Richardsons contract, we are trading a valueble expiring contract, for garbage expiring contracts...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Various sports analysts from SI & FSN ripped CLE for not trading Wally, Hickson, Pavlovic and a 1st rounder for Shaq. Shaq would have done a much better job against Dwight Howard than Z & Varajao and could have put them in the finals.

Hickson never played, and when he did he didn't help much, they could have got something for Wally's expiring contract, their 1st rounder will not play much next year either, Pavlovic would heave cleared up their backcourt situation.

Hickson & a couple of 1st rounders better be included or this move makes no sense. As pointed out it will not get us under the cap, we'd lose the only inside presence we have without getting a replacement. I would rather get Chandler who might be in rehab for 4 months after toe surgery but he is much better than the crap we'd get from CLE. His $12M salary for the next couple of years is the only problem but for what he brings & he can stay healthy he would be worth it.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I love how ESPN is making a big deal outta nothing. They reported talks are on, THEY WERE ALWAYS on, there is no new news and I doubt he goes to Cleveland anyways...

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Because Shaq is a 20 million dollar expiring contract, PLUS he is a 3rd Team All-NBA C and an All Star last year...

If the Cavs have Shaq this year they are NBA Champs, so getting Shaq gives them a MUCH better opportunity to win NOW, and KEEP LeBron, as well as a 20 million dollar expiring contract, meaning they are no worse off at the end of the season..

So in the end, the Cavs are not giving up A SINGLE THING in aquireing Shaq, not ONE, so getting one asset in return doesn't seem like a long stretch... Its not like we are getting to include Richardsons contract, we are trading a valueble expiring contract, for garbage expiring contracts...

So what if hes is a 20 mil expiring contract? Wallace is expiring and so is Sasha. Ill give you the fact he had a good year last year, but Shaq isnt going to help the Cavs as much as someone who can score in the post and guard opposing 4s.

NBA champs this year? Shaq still doesnt help them match up with the Celtics or the Magic this year or next year. Yes, Shaq will improve their nonexistant post game, but a lumbering center is not what the Cavs need. Z cant play PF, because he cant guard anyone. Varejao cant guard Rashard or KG.

Keep in mind that if Wallace retires, which many think he will do, the Cavs are essentially giving up a trade exception. Considering the Suns financial situation, this is the Marcus Camby trade to the Clippers all over again.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So what if hes is a 20 mil expiring contract? Wallace is expiring and so is Sasha. Ill give you the fact he had a good year last year, but Shaq isnt going to help the Cavs as much as someone who can score in the post and guard opposing 4s.

NBA champs this year? Shaq still doesnt help them match up with the Celtics or the Magic this year or next year. Yes, Shaq will improve their nonexistant post game, but a lumbering center is not what the Cavs need. Z cant play PF, because he cant guard anyone. Varejao cant guard Rashard or KG.

Keep in mind that if Wallace retires, which many think he will do, the Cavs are essentially giving up a trade exception. Considering the Suns financial situation, this is the Marcus Camby trade to the Clippers all over again.

Gotta totally disagree with ya on this my friend... Anyone who watched the Cavs/Magic series closely this year would tell you if the Cavs had someone like shaq that could have muscled Howard out of the paint sometimes it would have been a COMPLETELY different series...

Now the C's may have an argument but Shaq wouldn't guard KG, he would guard Perkins...

The bottomm line is the Cavs were the #1 team in the league in the regular season with no post game to speak of...you add a 3rd team All-NBA player who is an All-Star Center and they turned into a Championship team, IMO....

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin I don't think you're assigning enough value to shaq. He is not garbage. May I remind you he played amazing last year, was an all-star. The cavs greatly desire his kind of production and his contract is extremely valuable. A 20 mil expiring contract is extremely attractive to nba teams. They want a ring in cleveland. Shaq wants a ring. If it works out Shaq isn't going anywhere and they re-sign him. If it doesn't work out, Cleveland is not saddled with an exorbitant salary. It really is a homerun for C land.

Im not saying Shaq is garbage, but the Cavs dont need to trade for Shaq to make their team any better. The Cavs desperately need a PF who can score and guard out to the perimeter, not a C who is going to clog the lane for LeBron and doesnt help them match up with KG or Rashard.

Shaq is just proof that Dan Gilbert is desperate and will do/try anything to keep LeBron. Shaq makes no impact on the Cavs after the summer of 2010 and wont impact LeBron's destination in free agency.

Again, the Cavs dont need to make this move. The Suns make this move so that have the financial relief to justify moving Amare in a deal that doesnt have to revolve around a large expiring contract, so they can get more talent in return.

The Suns need to cut costs and even if Wallace doesnt retire they can waive Sasha and buy out Wallace in order to save a nice amount of money.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Gotta totally disagree with ya on this my friend... Anyone who watched the Cavs/Magic series closely this year would tell you if the Cavs had someone like shaq that could have muscled Howard out of the paint sometimes it would have been a COMPLETELY different series...

Now the C's may have an argument but Shaq wouldn't guard KG, he would guard Perkins...

The bottomm line is the Cavs were the #1 team in the league in the regular season with no post game to speak of...you add a 3rd team All-NBA player who is an All-Star Center and they turned into a Championship team, IMO....

I watched every minute of every game and yes Shaq helps, but he isnt going to keep Dwight Howard off the offensive boards. He averaged 4 offensive boards per game in the Boston series and Perkins did a good of a job as anyone all year at guarding Dwight 1 on 1.

The problem in the Cleveland series was that they had no way to match up against Rashard or Hedo on the perimeter. Rashard hit 15 threes in the series.

The Cavs arent going to run the ball through Shaq like the Suns did. Yes, he helps but he also clogs the lane for LeBron. If the Cavs want a title they need to bring in a guy who can score and guard on the perimeter at PF.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson