MCU: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why not? It's rich on content and so many places to go. It would allow him to expand his career. He doesn't strike me as someone who is complacent.
Because maybe he sees the drama and bad mojo that both JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have been enduring? Why stress yourself out with all that when you already have plenty on your plate and a nearly flawless track record so far?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because maybe he sees the drama and bad mojo that both JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have been enduring? Why stress yourself out with all that when you already have plenty on your plate and a nearly flawless track record so far?

He might not also be as dug in on Star Wars as he is on Marvel. What he’s accomplished is extraordinary from a success standpoint. A lot of people might want to expand their reach at that point only to realize they’ve overextended and messed up the best thing they had going.

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I only wish DC/Warner had the foresight to appoint someone to oversee their movies like Marvel did. Someone who cared about the material or at least smart enough to hire people that do and most importantly, someone that cares about consistency and quality.

There's a reason why their properties are a bungled hit or miss mass of confusion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only wish DC/Warner had the foresight to appoint someone to oversee their movies like Marvel did. Someone who cared about the material or at least smart enough to hire people that do and most importantly, someone that cares about consistency and quality.

There's a reason why their properties are a bungled hit or miss mass of confusion.

same, but I do think DC has done a decent job righting the ship. Joker, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman were all good to great, IMO. They just tried to catch up to Marvel too fast getting to their version of the Avengers movie with Justice League and in doing so, made a mess of the universe.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same, but I do think DC has done a decent job righting the ship. Joker, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman were all good to great, IMO. They just tried to catch up to Marvel too fast getting to their version of the Avengers movie with Justice League and in doing so, made a mess of the universe.
Sure if you count righting the ship as still having a plethora of disjointed properties (movies, TV) while casually and unofficially referencing the multi-verse as a crutch while trying to explain the splintered properties. Sure the movies you mention above purely from a content perspective have improved things (although WW84 was a step back) but it's not even close to being cohesively organized like Marvel. I would liken it more to pulling out the duck tape and praying it plugs the holes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

They tried -- but instead of having it run by a producer executive, they gave it to Zach Snyder. And that was after Christopher Nolan turned it down, I'm guessing because he wanted to be a filmmaker and not spend all his time worrying about whether Aquaman was going to be a bust or not.

Warner messed up putting it under control of a filmmaker, and a mediocre one at best.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They tried -- but instead of having it run by a producer executive, they gave it to Zach Snyder. And that was after Christopher Nolan turned it down, I'm guessing because he wanted to be a filmmaker and not spend all his time worrying about whether Aquaman was going to be a bust or not.

Warner messed up putting it under control of a filmmaker, and a mediocre one at best.
They need to get as far away from Snyder for good. So many fans are saying once the acquisition of Warner is complete they think the Snyderverse will be reinstated. If that happens I am done with DC which was my favorite growing up. I just can't stomach anything Snyder. He hasn't done anything good in so long.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's top level leadership not letting their ego get out of the way. You only have to look at the Snyder cut to see how good a movie could have been. I SO want an Ayers cut of the original Suicide Squad.

What Marvel does is grab an up and coming director and leave them alone. DC meddles with every director. If you are an indie guy and DC comes knocking you are going to pass.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this again on Thursday and loved it again.

Act 1 is a Jackie Chan Movie
Act 2 is a John Woo movie
Act 3 is an Ang Lee movie.

It's an ode to all three and somehow so successfully done.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's top level leadership not letting their ego get out of the way. You only have to look at the Snyder cut to see how good a movie could have been. I SO want an Ayers cut of the original Suicide Squad.

What Marvel does is grab an up and coming director and leave them alone. DC meddles with every director. If you are an indie guy and DC comes knocking you are going to pass.
The only misstep may have been with Edgar Wright and Ant-Man, but according to this article he and Kevin have smoothed things over.

Original Ant-Man Director Edgar Wright Reveals ‘Happy Ending’ After Reuniting With Kevin Feige

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this again on Thursday and loved it again.

Act 1 is a Jackie Chan Movie
Act 2 is a John Woo movie
Act 3 is an Ang Lee movie.

It's an ode to all three and somehow so successfully done.
THIS

A second watching was better than the first for me. Picked up a couple o' things I missed the first time around. Really really good film.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose