Series Books

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I really like reading series books but not necesarily in the sci-fi genre. I love the dragon tattoo series and I read the Harry Potter series. What is everyone's favorite series books? Id love to start a new one. Big fan of the who-dun-it mystery/thriller books.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Corps by W.E.B. Griffin.

All-time favorite series.

The Corps is a series of war novels written by W.E.B. Griffin about the United States Marine Corps before and during the years of World War II and the Korean War. The story features a tightly-knit cast of characters in various positions within the Marine Corps, Navy, and upper levels of the United States Government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corps_Series

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of series but much of it falls in the sci-fi, space opera, fantasy, urban fantasy areas and it doesn't sound like any of those would appeal to you. That said, I'd second the W.E.B. Griffin suggestion. The Corps is his best series but Brotherhood of War is almost as good and Badge of Honor, Honor Bound, Men At War series are also very entertaining at least up to a point. They all start out great but the further you go into these later series the more Griffin is assisted by his son William Butterworth. Unfortunately, the more his son helps the more his stuff loses what made his books special.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Clive Cussler has a large series starring his character Dirk Pitt--pretty much straight action-adventure type stuff.

James Patterson's Alex Cross series is pretty popular.

If you like historical fiction, Wilbur Smith is one of the best--he has a few different series: The Egyptian, set in ancient Egypt, is probably my favorite.

Stephen King does the Dark Tower series, which is pretty popular, but I've never been able to get into it.

And of course, Tom Clancy has some great books starring Jack Ryan.

I tend to read more fantasy, so I'm not sure if you would be interested in those:
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson
A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin
The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Tad Williams
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist
and Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
I really dig the "First North Americans" series by Michael Gear and Kathleen O'neal Gear. Great "prehistoric fiction". Being and anthropologist and working in museums focusing on Native Americans most of my working life so far, I find this series fascinating, especially since all of the stories begin in the present at a real site, usually with some controversy.

http://www.gear-gear.com/

23 books and counting...

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips time to load up the kindle now. Ill try the corps series and see how that goes since i can preview any book before i buy it.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Last year I read Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. 3 large tomes that I had no trouble reading and highly recommend. Historical fiction that starts pre-WW1, and ends around 2008. Highly descriptive and visual writing that had me feeling like i was living important historical events through the eyes of various families and their ancestors - and their perspective, whatever side of history they were on.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jussi_Adler-Olsen

I really enjoy this author and his series - Department Q - about a Danish police detective who investigates cold cases.

The first book in the series is Keeper of Lost Causes.

But perhaps my favorite is a series by Tom Rob Smith, starting with Child 44. There's 3 books about a Russian detective.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Series that have entertained me through the years:
Dick Francis: detective type mystery tales in the milieu of British horse racing - the detective is an ex-jockey - likeable characters

Tony Hillerman: Set in northern AZ, NM. Two Indian Reservation policemen - Joe Leaphorn & Jim Chee. Rch with Indian traditions and lore and you'll know the place names. (He died a few years ago and his daughter is trying to continue, with mixed results.)

Alexander McCall Smith (Scotch) Several series but the only one I like is set in Botswanna, where he was raised. The series is called The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency. Wonderful characterizations of the main actors and the flow of life.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Series that have entertained me through the years:
Dick Francis: detective type mystery tales in the milieu of British horse racing - the detective is an ex-jockey - likeable characters

Tony Hillerman: Set in northern AZ, NM. Two Indian Reservation policemen - Joe Leaphorn & Jim Chee. Rch with Indian traditions and lore and you'll know the place names. (He died a few years ago and his daughter is trying to continue, with mixed results.)

Alexander McCall Smith (Scotch) Several series but the only one I like is set in Botswanna, where he was raised. The series is called The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency. Wonderful characterizations of the main actors and the flow of life.
I have read a few of these and loved them!

Also, the series on AMC: Dark Winds