Sense8 (Netflix)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone watching this?

New show from Netflix - first episode is a little confusing, but it really picks up.

From the Wachowskis

Review: Sense8 is the most promising sci-fi television series since Lost

fter a few early hits like House of Cards and Arrested Development, Netflix has ramped up the rate at which it releases new programs. And because it drops binge-ready seasons all at once, a twisty science fiction thriller in the vein of Lost seems like a natural fit for the site. Enter Sense8, a fantastic, mind-bending new series co-created by the Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski.

Sense8 stars a diverse ensemble of eight women and men scattered across the globe: There’s a nervously closeted leading man in cheesy, Mexican action films; A sharp Korean businesswoman who vents her frustration about an extremely misogynist corporate culture by moonlighting as a brutal kickboxer; An Indian chemist who has second thoughts about her engagement to the wealthy and charming son of her boss; A kind, but short-fused German safe-cracker who’s embedded in a violent criminal family; A prodigal Icelandic DJ who’s fallen in with a bad crowd in London; An idealistic Chicago cop whose desire to help people doesn’t always jive with department politics; An affable driver in Nairobi, whose JCVD-themed bus, the Van Damn, is having trouble competing with the ever-popular Bat Van; And a transgender lesbian living in San Francisco who’s also a former hacker.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/sense8-season-1-review/#ixzz3fnApPToy

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They filmed on location in SF, Chicago, Iceland, London, Berlin, Mumbai, Nairobi, Seoul - shooting all the scenes for one city, then moving on.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting show. I have watched the entire first season. The show goes back and forth from being pretty good to blah. I mean the gratuitous sex scenes between all the characters seem really forced sometimes just for the sake of having a sex scene. I am normally not one to complain about these types of things but it feels forced sometimes like they are trying to throw it in your face.

I wish they would stick more to the mythos of the story and move it along. I am at least on board for next season. It's probably the best thing that involved the Wachowskis since the original Matrix.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting show. I have watched the entire first season. The show goes back and forth from being pretty good to blah. I mean the gratuitous sex scenes between all the characters seem really forced sometimes just for the sake of having a sex scene. I am normally not one to complain about these types of things but it feels forced sometimes like they are trying to throw it in your face.

I wish they would stick more to the mythos of the story and move it along. I am at least on board for next season. It's probably the best thing that involved the Wachowskis since the original Matrix.

I liked the way they developed the characters - spending enough time with each that we got to know them.

this should make the story move quicker next season

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm with you here. It could be so, so much better. It's good, great in parts, but disappointing in others. Suffers a lot early from what killed Heroes--flitting around without purpose and not spending enough time in place. You're spot on about some of those sex scenes. This is what really hurts the show, however:

The episodes got increasingly formulaic. Every episode would have a sequence of scenes where the people who could fight would help the people who couldn't kick ass. Then there would always be along song montage where the directors are basically screaming at us that 'This is profound, pay attention!'. I mean, it was like clockwork.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really liking this show -- we just finished that crazy 10th episode with all the
births.

I can understand the complaints, and it's no surprise Stout has something to complain about, but come on, this is a slow burn series that is more like a novel than a tv show. If you can handle that kind of story-telling, then you'll probably like the show. If you're desensitized by the "MTV-style" of filmmaking, than this isn't for you.

The only real sex scenes are between all the gay couples, and you can understand it since it's the Wachowskis trying to move this kind of stuff into the mainstream. But again, it's a slow burn, but fascinating in all respects, IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only real sex scenes are between all the gay couples, and you can understand it since it's the Wachowskis trying to move this kind of stuff into the mainstream. But again, it's a slow burn, but fascinating in all respects, IMO.

That's my only issue with the show. Some of the scenes were thrown in there just to be thrown in there. I don't mind scenes like this if they are organic and feel natural to the storyline. If not, it's simply distracting and takes away from what I think is the most interesting idea the Wachowskis have turned out in a long time.

Stout

Reaction score
Really liking this show -- we just finished that crazy 10th episode with all the
births.

I can understand the complaints, and it's no surprise Stout has something to complain about, but come on, this is a slow burn series that is more like a novel than a tv show. If you can handle that kind of story-telling, then you'll probably like the show. If you're desensitized by the "MTV-style" of filmmaking, than this isn't for you.

So I'm supposedly the "MTV-style" of fan? Yeah, not hardly. Slow is fine. Novels are great; I'd rather be hooked into a 1,000-page door stopper than a good TV show any day of the week. Sens8 being slow isn't what hurt it, IMO; the above stated reasons are. I feel the Wachowskis took a concept that could have been great and made it good, that's all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I'm supposedly the "MTV-style" of fan? Yeah, not hardly. Slow is fine. Novels are great; I'd rather be hooked into a 1,000-page door stopper than a good TV show any day of the week. Sens8 being slow isn't what hurt it, IMO; the above stated reasons are. I feel the Wachowskis took a concept that could have been great and made it good, that's all.

The only complaint above is the gratuitous sex.

Just finished the show last night and loved the finale. Loved how they all came together and used each other's talents to get Riley out. Really looking forward to season 2.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sex scenes, or gay sex scenes?

Male full frontal nudity?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me I don't care who is doing who. Just make sure it makes sense in the story. More focus on the mythos less on shoving gratuitous scenes in people's faces to make social statements.

Stout

Reaction score
The only complaint above is the gratuitous sex.

Just finished the show last night and loved the finale. Loved how they all came together and used each other's talents to get Riley out. Really looking forward to season 2.

I guess you haven't learned how to look at spoilers yet? I don't want to post plot points out in the open.

For me I don't care who is doing who. Just make sure it makes sense in the story. More focus on the mythos less on shoving gratuitous scenes in people's faces to make social statements.

I agree somewhat with this. Don't cut them all out or anything. Just don't rely on them so much.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there really more sex scenes in Sense8 than other cable shows?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree somewhat with this. Don't cut them all out or anything. Just don't rely on them so much.

Agree. I am not saying cut them out. Heck, I won't complain about two hot chicks going at it. LOL. For me it has nothing to do with quantity. I just want the scenes to be in context of the story. Not ....hey I want to make a social statement....I know it doesn't move the story along....but...hey here you go.

This is probably the best thing the Wachowskis have been involved in since the original Matrix. They probably crashed and burned their movie careers with Jupiter Ascending and their previous duds. I want to see the show continue.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree. I am not saying cut them out. Heck, I won't complain about two hot chicks going at it. LOL. For me it has nothing to do with quantity. I just want the scenes to be in context of the story. Not ....hey I want to make a social statement....I know it doesn't move the story along....but...hey here you go.

This is probably the best thing the Wachowskishave been involved in since the original Matrix. They probably crashed and burned their movie careers with Jupiter Ascending and their previous duds. I want to see the show continue.

Absolutely their best since the Matrix... no question.

It got renewed for season 2 last week.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Director Lilly Wachowski Leaves Netflix Series “Sense8”

http://www.newnownext.com/director-lilly-wachowski-leaves-netflix-series-sense8/05/2016/

Sense8, the popular LGBT inclusive Netflix series that follows the lives of eight emotionally and mentally interconnected individuals across the globe, has seen some team shake-ups since the premiere of its first season, with departures from both star Aml Ameen and director Lilly Wachowski.

Ameen, who played Capheus “Van Damme” on the show, split last month, citing irreconcilable “creative differences” with producer Lilly Wachowski. Now, Wachowski, who made headlines last March after coming out as trans, has opted to leave the show as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean the gratuitous sex scenes between all the characters seem really forced sometimes just for the sake of having a sex scene.

This type of stuff makes me feel like they are targeting teenagers as their audience. I don't need the sex scenes personally. They usually pull away from a show more than anything.

The only real sex scenes are between all the gay couples,

ugh

That's my only issue with the show. Some of the scenes were thrown in there just to be thrown in there. I don't mind scenes like this if they are organic and feel natural to the storyline. .

rare that they do feel organic IMO

double ugh!

Why does everything have gay sex and penises in it now? Maybe I don't want to watch this show.

I mean, I am a flaming heterosexual and sex scenes, breats, etc, do nothing for movies and TV in most instances. Then switch it to penises? wtf? I already cant use google images without being beaten to death by hundreds of penises regardless of what I search.

Stout

Reaction score
Director Lilly Wachowski Leaves Netflix Series “Sense8”

http://www.newnownext.com/director-lilly-wachowski-leaves-netflix-series-sense8/05/2016/

Sense8, the popular LGBT inclusive Netflix series that follows the lives of eight emotionally and mentally interconnected individuals across the globe, has seen some team shake-ups since the premiere of its first season, with departures from both star Aml Ameen and director Lilly Wachowski.

Ameen, who played Capheus “Van Damme” on the show, split last month, citing irreconcilable “creative differences” with producer Lilly Wachowski. Now, Wachowski, who made headlines last March after coming out as trans, has opted to leave the show as well.

Zoiks, so this has completely crashed and burned then? I was wondering when they'd release season 2, and they aren't even filming it? And now all this? That's a shame. It was a bit formulaic, but it was still better than the run-of-the-mill stuff. Oh well.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zoiks, so this has completely crashed and burned then? I was wondering when they'd release season 2, and they aren't even filming it? And now all this? That's a shame. It was a bit formulaic, but it was still better than the run-of-the-mill stuff. Oh well.

They are still filming. Replaced the actor, and production has continued.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure. The show wasn't without problems. Maybe this makes some of those problems go away.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't watch Stout, since you're already convinced it's going to suck... :)

Because the Season 2 trailer is pretty epic...

Last edited: