Semi-OT: NFL Quarterback Power Rankings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I accidentally de-railed a thread with this conversation, but it's as good a one as any heading into a week where there'll be no news.

Filet Mignon: If you have one of these guys healthy, you're guaranteed 10 wins and a playoff berth

1. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers. Lil' Wayne thinks that this guy is not a human being.

2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots. Getting older, but super-productive in the regular season. Don't think about how he's performed in the postseason since losing the Super Bowl to the Giants. Really, don't think about it, because no one on NFL Network or ESPN ever does.

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints. There hasn't been a better match of quarterback and offensive system since Jim Kelly and the K-Gun offense in Buffalo.

4. Phillip Rivers, San Diego Chargers. The best pure passer in the NFL today. Plays in a fairly traditional pro-stlye offense. He's struggling a little to begin the year, but if he played on the East Coast he'd be considered a great.

5. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the quarterbacks above him on this list, it's surprising that he's a two-time Super Bowl champion and appeared in a third. That's better than Kurt Warner did.

Steak and Potatoes: They'll keep you competitive all season long, but in December or January, they're going to leave you wanting.

6. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles. When football people talk about "unique talents", this is the guy they're describing. Vick is playing more disciplined football right now than he has his entire career, but he doesn't always put his WRs in good positions, and you have to build an offense around him. That usually takes two or three years and a very creative head coach.

7. Eli Manning, New York Giants. Eli was probably better equipped than his brother to come in and start in New York. He makes frustratingly stupid plays at times, but has done a good job whittling away at that habit over the years. Does a good job playing within himself and getting the ball to his weapons.

8. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens. Maybe a better fantasy player than he his a football player. Still very young, and seems to be getting better every year. Needs to improve at going through his progressions.

9. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets. Uniquely suited to succeed for the Big Apple's "other" NFL franchise. Wins ugly, but wins. You don't get carried to consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances to begin your career. The entire New York Jets team has confidence that Sanchez will come through for them in the clutch. Is improving every year.

9. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears. Million dollar arm, personality that inspires no one. Has all the ability in the world, but has too much faith in his ability to fit the ball into tight spots. Doesn't elevate the play of his teammates. Leads by example more than by fiery example.

10. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys. Has started to get over the December and Playoff hump with success late in seasons. Could be a slow starter, or a guy who will just continually break the hearts of his fan base. Uniquely suited to be quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. Star-crossed?

11. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons. His team succeeds most when the offense takes the ball out of his hands. Great at home, where his defense has the advantage of a loud crowd. Shakier on the road. Needs to perform in bigger games.

12. Josh Freeman, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Could establish himself at the top of this group if he can continue to push a relatively toothless offense to success. Young and getting better. Can beat you with his feet but prefers to do so with his size. Dangerous when the game is on the line.

13. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans. Definitely a better fantasy quarterback than real-life guy. Has improved durability from early in his Houston career. Hasn't faced a lot of clutch situations in his career, but has folded in those that he has. Not mentally tough or a great leader. I'm not sure that he can lead Houston to more than 10 wins and a first-round exit, ever.

Steak Tartare: Excellent overall ingredients, but a little undercooked right now. A little seasoning and heat can move many of these guys into the tier above... or below.

14. Matt Stafford, Detroit Lions. After a rough start early in his career with both accuracy and durability, has apparently figured out the NFL game in his third season. Now it remains to be seen what he can do when the NFL game figures him out as he puts more and more play on tape.

15. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills. 28 year old getting a chance to show his stuff in his 7th NFL season. Very good quarterback for the Buffalo Bills, but has to show that he's a very good quarterback in the NFL.

16. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers. I believed in Cam, but he's blossomed quickly in the NFL game. Needs to improve his accuracy (58.2%) and continue to develop, but no one expected him to be this good, this soon. The Panthers will likely be a "surprise" playoff team in 2012.

17. Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams. Sophomore slump is a ******. Needs receiving weapons and improved play from his offensive line. Not being as well-protected by his defense as he was last season. The NFL has figured out Mr. Bradford; now he needs to respond and come back stronger.

18. Colt McCoy, Cleveland Browns. Another player the NFL may have figured out. In a good position system-wise, although he needs better weapons in the passing game, as well. Deserves a better tight end than Ben Watson.

19. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals. Being excellently managed by the coaching staff, isn't putting his team out of games. Impressive performances from jump street. Could be the next 2nd round pick success story. Love the nickname "Red Rifle."

20. Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville Jaguars. Just too soon to tell. Big arm, great mobility. Stands tall in the pocket and does not panic when offensive line begins to fall apart. Needs consistency in coaching and more weapons on the perimeter.

22. Tim Tebow, Denver Broncos. Can't argue with his success in college or early in his NFL career. Requires sponsorship by a creative coaching staff. New Orleans should give up a 3rd round pick for him next year and let him be the heir apparent for Drew Brees. Ugly throwing motion, but is a very good deep ball passer. Will drive coaching staffs and fans crazy in diametrically opposed ways.

Hungry Man Salisbury Steak: These guys are out of fashion, but can be a filling meal for a little while, although you don't want to be served them forever--it's just not healthy.

23. Matt Hasselback, Tennessee Titans. Clearly on the downside of his career, but a great leader in the right system. Needs to be protected by his offensive line and running game to have great success. Cerebral quarterback.

24. Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos. Will forever be the booby prize when the quarterback carousel stops swinging. Doesn't look like a quarterback and doesn't make many people better. Needs to be in a system designed to take advantage of his abilities to deliver the ball to a particular receiver. Not hard-working; you have to wonder what happens when he's given a big contract. That's why Miami didn't want to trade for him.

25. Matt Cassell, Kansas City Chiefs. Few quarterbacks have done less with more than Matt Cassell. Doesn't do anything particularly well, but can deliver the ball to good weapons when given time by his offensive line. Can't respond under pressure to lead an offense to success.

26. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers. Better arm and mobility than Blaine Gabbert, Smith's career trajectory could have been much different had he been provided more consistent offensive coaching early in his career. Plays scared at times, but his teammates have rallied around him and believe in him at the end of games. Smart player, but you don't want the game in his hands.

27. Jason Campbell, Oakland Raiders. Not as bad as you think (60.8% career completion percentage, 82.8 career passer rating, 74 TDs, 50 INTs), but hasn't been able to put together a very good season. Not a dynamic leader and doesn't do anything really well. Needs to be supported by a strong running game and dynamic receiving options. Could have used more consistency from his coaching staff early his his career, as well.

Eating Out of the Garbage: You hope that some of the younger guys here can turn it around and work their way into the Salisbury Steak conversation.

28. Tavaris Jackson, Seattle Seahawks. It's not his fault he was overdrafted. Great arm and good mobility, but he doesn't have any accuracy at all. Might succeed in a traditional West Coast offense with rangy, physical receivers who can get to the ball. Little leadership. If Tavaris Jackson is your quarterback, you're not going anywhere unless you have a Top 3 defense.

29. Kevin Kolb, Arizona Cardinals. Just turned 27 and is in his 5th NFL season. Apparently a good guy in the lockerroom and the meeting room, but hasn't shown an ability to be a good player on the field. Limitations masked by great system, weapons, and playcalling in Philadelphia. Skittish in the pocket even when protection is solid. Has the ability to get the ball to guys in positions to make plays, but hasn't done it consistently enough for his new team.

30. Kerry Collins, Indianapolis Colts. Should have stayed retired. At least his entire 2011 salary is guaranteed.

31. Chad Henne, Miami Dolphins. Probably over-drafted after playing on a talent-rich Michigan team. No one has faith in him to win games, and while he hasn't been surrounded by great talent with the Dolphins, he hasn't shown even flashes of adequacy in a while.

32. Curtis Painter, Indianapolis Colts. An excellent option if you're looking to earn the #1 pick in the draft. This is what it looks like if Brian St. Pierre was your starting quarterback.

33. Rex Grossman, Washington Redskins. At his best he plays like Jason Campbell. At he worst he plays like Rex Grossman. You never have any idea which you'll get on a particular day. He's like a homeless man's Doug Flutie in that you'd kind of like him as your #2 in a pinch.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, Blaine Gabbert and Tim Tebow have shown much more than Kevin Kolb. And Mark Sanchez is totally a top 10 QB.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agree with most of your rankings and rationale, although Sanchez and Flacco are both way too high. Peyton off the board?

Man Kolb is a disaster in every way.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, Blaine Gabbert and Tim Tebow have shown much more than Kevin Kolb. And Mark Sanchez is totally a top 10 QB.

Tim Tebow has lead his offense to 23, 23, and 28 points in his last three starts. Those 28 points were against the NFL's #1 ranked defense in the San Diego Chargers.

I don't like Tim Tebow, myself, but he's thrown for a TD in every game that he's started.

Also, excellent football analysis.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tim Tebow has lead his offense to 23, 23, and 28 points in his last three starts. Those 28 points were against the NFL's #1 ranked defense in the San Diego Chargers.

I don't like Tim Tebow, myself, but he's thrown for a TD in every game that he's started.

Also, excellent football analysis.

Same to you. After reading this, my thoughts about your analysis of the game went from "bitter forum guy who whines like if he does it enough it'll change the past" to "probably doesn't watch much football".

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what is the deal with Brady's post season play after losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Don't think I'd rate Rivers as the best pure passer. He's more of a Kosar type that has a low delivery, looks slow and klunky in the pocket and then ultimately delivers an accurate pass that surprises you because of everything you've seen up to that point.

It's hard for me to rate anyone higher than Rodgers at this point in time. The guy just makes everything look easy. Short, intermediate, deep, in the pocket, rolling right, rolling left, throwing across his body and they always seem to be perfect spirals.

I know a list would get pretty boring by giving everything to just one guy but I'd certainly rate Rodgers as a better pure passer than Rivers. But I do think Rivers is very good and VERY underrated.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
So what is the deal with Brady's post season play after losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl?
The Patriots defense isn't carrying the team like it used to.

Look at Brady's career in the postseason. Lot of clunkers in there and he certainly doesn't elevate his game. Career regular season 95 passer rating, career post season 85 passer rating. Still solid but a 10 point drop in performance doesn't equate to the super hero status he's got.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Patriots defense isn't carrying the team like it used to.

Look at Brady's career in the postseason. Lot of clunkers in there and he certainly doesn't elevate his game. Career regular season 95 passer rating, career post season 85 passer rating. Still solid but a 10 point drop in performance doesn't equate to the super hero status he's got.
Ya, his wins in the post season are what lead to the super hero status. If the Pats' D doesn't pull an ArizonaCardinals in the last Super Bowl, Brady has another Super Bowl win. And an undefeated season in which Brady had a record-breaking season.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't think I'd rate Rivers as the best pure passer. He's more of a Kosar type that has a low delivery, looks slow and klunky in the pocket and then ultimately delivers an accurate pass that surprises you because of everything you've seen up to that point.

It's hard for me to rate anyone higher than Rodgers at this point in time. The guy just makes everything look easy. Short, intermediate, deep, in the pocket, rolling right, rolling left, throwing across his body and they always seem to be perfect spirals.

I know a list would get pretty boring by giving everything to just one guy but I'd certainly rate Rodgers as a better pure passer than Rivers. But I do think Rivers is very good and VERY underrated.

Rodgers has more mobility than Rivers does after his knee injury. Rodgers is a very dangerous runner; he scored like 4 rushing TDs his first 5 games as a starter. He has run no fewer than 56 times per season as a starter, with a 5.8 yard average and 15 TDs as a starting QB. One reason that I think Rodgers puts pressure on opposing defenses is that rushers have to be discipled in their rush lanes, because he will take off and run well.

Rivers operates almost exclusively from the pocket in a fairly traditional offense, rather than Brady's spread stuff.

For comparisons sake, Rivers has never left the backfield more than 48 times in a single season, and hasn't done that since 2006.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For me, I don't care if Tebow has thrown for a TD in every game he started. Throw in everything else in the game and general overall play as a professional QB and he limits what you can do with your offense. By that I mean what a coach can actually plan to do with him before the game because these guys can tend to be unpredictable. One would think that a athlete at the position would actually increase what one can do but it seems athletes at the position in the pros seem to limit you in the complexity of the plays you call in a position where the arm and brain are the tools that trump all. I don't agree with your placing of Kolb but that is how he has performed so far in the situation he has been cast in. The team, the situation and all the factors have to be irrelevant or one can not make a judgement at all on the facts. The facts so far say your list is basically spot on with exception of Tebow to me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rivers does not throw a pretty looking ball but if one removes style points for the look of his throws in flight or delivery, he could be the best pure passer with the way he operates mostly in the pocket

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For me, I don't care if Tebow has thrown for a TD in every game he started. Throw in everything else in the game and general overall play as a professional QB and he limits what you can do with your offense. By that I mean what a coach can actually plan to do with him before the game because these guys can tend to be unpredictable. One would think that a athlete at the position would actually increase what one can do but it seems athletes at the position in the pros seem to limit you in the complexity of the plays you call in a position where the arm and brain are the tools that trump all. I don't agree with your placing of Kolb but that is how he has performed so far in the situation he has been cast in. The team, the situation and all the factors have to be irrelevant or one can not make a judgement at all on the facts. The facts so far say your list is basically spot on with exception of Tebow to me.

Sounds like what people were saying about Cam Newton coming out in the draft.

I'm not saying that Tebow is going to succeed, or not succeed. He's at the bottom of that tier, after all. But I think that if you just look at what he's capable of doing (and you're not even talking about his long windup, which is probably his biggest barrier to success), then I think he has some upside.

There's nothing to suggest that Tebow has mental or arm strength issues on the field.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Ya, his wins in the post season are what lead to the super hero status. If the Pats' D doesn't pull an ArizonaCardinals in the last Super Bowl, Brady has another Super Bowl win. And an undefeated season in which Brady had a record-breaking season.
That's the point though. You say: "his" wins. I say Belichick, defense, Vinateri, creative officiating and then Brady.

But I'll certainly listen to why you think his drop in production during the postseason is praise-worthy.

Heck, I'm not even saying he's a bad QB or bad in the post season. I just think it's more admirable for a QB to elevate his game when things get tough.

Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw...Warner, these are guys who were their best in the post season. They actually improved their numbers when the competition and pressure got tougher. Guys like Brady and Young who, IMO, were stat-padders aren't held in the same regard as those other guys.

Brady and Belichick are pretty much the worst ever in terms of purposely trying to get their names in the record books.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Sounds like what people were saying about Cam Newton coming out in the draft.

I'm not saying that Tebow is going to succeed, or not succeed. He's at the bottom of that tier, after all. But I think that if you just look at what he's capable of doing (and you're not even talking about his long windup, which is probably his biggest barrier to success), then I think he has some upside.

There's nothing to suggest that Tebow has mental or arm strength issues on the field.
I'm actually hoping Tebow succeeds because I still feel the sting of Flutie getting screwed over by the NFL. Everyone just knew he wasn't going to be able to succeed because he didn't fit the mold and he was screwed out of a job in Buffalo and San Diego. Any coach who would have had the balls to design an offense around his strengths, convention be damned, would have had some real success.

Wade Phillips got exactly what he deserved for choosing Rob Johnson over Flutie.

So I say, go Tebow and go Newton.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the point though. You say: "his" wins. I say Belichick, defense, Vinateri, creative officiating and then Brady.

But I'll certainly listen to why you think his drop in production during the postseason is praise-worthy.

Heck, I'm not even saying he's a bad QB or bad in the post season. I just think it's more admirable for a QB to elevate his game when things get tough.

Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw...Warner, these are guys who were their best in the post season. They actually improved their numbers when the competition and pressure got tougher. Guys like Brady and Young who, IMO, were stat-padders aren't held in the same regard as those other guys.

Brady and Belichick are pretty much the worst ever in terms of purposely trying to get their names in the record books.
Brady is certainly held in the same regard. As you say he is given Super Hero Status.

Note: His Passer Rating in Super Bowls is 94.5. Pretty Super. And I guess he just can't run up the score as much (as has had a few rough games by his standards).

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
2001 - 16/27 59.3% 145 yards(5.4ypa) 1td/0int Super?
2003 - 32/48 66.7% 354 yards(7.4ypa) 3td/1int
2004 - 23/33 69.7% 236 yards(7.2ypa) 2td/0int Super?
2007 - 29/48 60.4% 266 yards(5.5ypa) 1td/0int Super?

And for a guy who's TD% is 5.6% in his career during the regular season, for it to drop to 4.5% in the Super Bowl isn't a feather in his cap either.

To my overall point though, look at the one year where the team's fate REALLY fell upon his shoulders as opposed to the first three appearances in the SB. In '07 it was all about Brady and the unstoppable offense.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2001 - 16/27 59.3% 145 yards(5.4ypa) 1td/0int Super?
2003 - 32/48 66.7% 354 yards(7.4ypa) 3td/1int
2004 - 23/33 69.7% 236 yards(7.2ypa) 2td/0int Super?
2007 - 29/48 60.4% 266 yards(5.5ypa) 1td/0int Super?

And for a guy who's TD% is 5.6% in his career during the regular season, for it to drop to 4.5% in the Super Bowl isn't a feather in his cap either.

To my overall point though, look at the one year where the team's fate REALLY fell upon his shoulders as opposed to the first three appearances in the SB. In '07 it was all about Brady and the unstoppable offense.
And the defense failed them in 07 or he wins another Super Bowl.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

And if BugEye catches this, Brady beats the Colts and the Bears for #5.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did that list come from I'm dying to hear their explanation for Mark Sanchez being "specially suited" for the Jets. Like most QB's aren't better with a good defense that doesn't require them to take as many risks on offense.

Sanchez has been TERRIBLE when they needed him to make plays. overall 9 TD 5 INT is not horrible 56% in a system that doesn't ask him to make difficult throws and 9 turnovers in 6 games he's the single reason the Jets lost 3 in a row 5 To's in those games and 166 yards passing against the Patriots bad defense.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where did that list come from I'm dying to hear their explanation for Mark Sanchez being "specially suited" for the Jets. Like most QB's aren't better with a good defense that doesn't require them to take as many risks on offense.

Sanchez has been TERRIBLE when they needed him to make plays. overall 9 TD 5 INT is not horrible 56% in a system that doesn't ask him to make difficult throws and 9 turnovers in 6 games he's the single reason the Jets lost 3 in a row 5 To's in those games and 166 yards passing against the Patriots bad defense.

I put the list together.

I don't think that every quarterback can succeed in the Big Apple, and that Sanchez's kind of easygoing style, good looks, and gritty play give him credit with the fan base that prevents the disastrous reception that one might expect based on his stats.

The defense isn't going to be great forever, and Sanchez didn't get a lot of experience in college (one of the major knocks against him coming into that draft). But Sanchez is improving every year (63.3, 75.3, 82.3 this year QB rating-wise). Also, there's this:

1-P.McAfee kicks 71 yards from IND 30 to NYJ -1. 31-A.Cromartie pushed ob at NYJ 46 for 47 yards (10-T.Smith).
1-10-NYJ 46 :)45) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass short right to 17-B.Edwards to IND 45 for 9 yards (27-J.Lacey). The Replay Assistant challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass short right to 17-B.Edwards to IND 45 for 9 yards (41-A.Bethea). FUMBLES (41-A.Bethea), and recovers at IND 45. 17-B.Edwards to IND 45 for no gain (27-J.Lacey).
Timeout #2 by NYJ at 00:40.
2-1-IND 45 :)40) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass short left to 10-S.Holmes pushed ob at IND 34 for 11 yards (20-J.Tryon).
1-10-IND 34 :)36) 21-L.Tomlinson up the middle to IND 32 for 2 yards (68-E.Foster).
Timeout #3 by IND at 00:29.
2-8-IND 32 :)29) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass deep right to 17-B.Edwards to IND 14 for 18 yards (27-J.Lacey).
Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:03.
1-10-IND 14 :)03) 2-N.Folk 32 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-T.Purdum, Holder-9-S.Weatherford.
NYJ 17 IND 16 Plays: 5 Possession: 0:53

That's 3 for 3 for 40 yards and the game-winning FG on the road in Indy.

Sanchez went 20 for 33 (7.1 YPA) and 2 TDs against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game last year. Dude doesn't turn 25 until next month. What has Matty Slush done for Atlanta?

This year, Sanchez has had one really bad game--at Baltimore. Totally unforgivable.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
On the Brady discussion: Seems like this spread system is good in the regular season when you're playing a bunch of different teams with a week (sometimes less) to prepare. But when the postseason comes and the weather gets cold and you have to run the ball?

Maybe not so much.

I think that Brady and Belicheck got a little enamored with being dominant and stopped worrying about building a complete roster and winning in the postseason.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
And the defense failed them in 07 or he wins another Super Bowl.
That's an interesting way to look at it. The defense allowed 17.1 ppg on the season and gave up 17 to the Giants in the Super Bowl. The offense scored 36.8 ppg during the year and only scored 14 in the Super Bowl.

So, who let who down?

By the way, "if "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts..."

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
On the Brady discussion: Seems like this spread system is good in the regular season when you're playing a bunch of different teams with a week (sometimes less) to prepare. But when the postseason comes and the weather gets cold and you have to run the ball?

Maybe not so much.

I think that Brady and Belicheck got a little enamored with being dominant and stopped worrying about building a complete roster and winning in the postseason.
And I certainly don't blame Brady for having a good defense. You generally need one to win it all. I just tire of everyone forgetting the rest of the Patriots and making Brady into a post season superhero.

But when you think about say, Bradshaw. He had a great team around him and strong running game, etc. much like Brady has but if you think about Bradshaw, you think about all of the amazing plays that he was a part of on offense, how he elevated his game during the postseason and how he beat some truly historic teams while the Steelers went 4-0 with him at QB.

What do you think of with Brady? The tuck rule? The no-grounding call? Adam Venitari? A QB getting very debatable officiating to set up Vinateri to win it for the team just doesn't seem as heroic to me as everyone else I guess. Getting outplayed by Jake Delhomme in that SB is what I remember, McNabb puking all over the place in that SB is what I remember...I don't know. You can't argue with the final scores or record but has Brady really had any signature/memorable moments like Montana, Young, Aikman, etc.?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson