Seattle Mariners @ Arizona Diamondbacks Aug 24 - Aug 26, 2018

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Who said they would rather have hirano closing? They both stunk it up.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad I wasn't watching the last inning, I'd might have had to get a new TV.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
St Louis single-handedly trying to keep us in first.
Brah, they didn't just "try." They took 2 of 3 from the Rockheads, and dropped a deuce on them today, I don't care about the cray-cray in-game posts. I care that the DBs have a set of winnable series coming up. At home.

Reaction score
Hi guys- my husband and I are so SICK of Boxberger’s blown saves- like Saturday- that we are wondering....when someone is designated as “the closer” — is the manager somehow contractually obligated to put him in the game in a save situation?? We just can’t believe that Tory continues to put Box in!!!!
Not that some others are any better- but some ARE. Thoughts? Or info?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While closers often times have bonuses tied to the Number of saves there is no obligation for a manager to use him in a save situation

The managers number one priority is winning the game

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hi guys- my husband and I are so SICK of Boxberger’s blown saves- like Saturday- that we are wondering....when someone is designated as “the closer” — is the manager somehow contractually obligated to put him in the game in a save situation?? We just can’t believe that Tory continues to put Box in!!!!
Not that some others are any better- but some ARE. Thoughts? Or info?

Nothing contractual at all... and if Tory had a better option, he’d use him! Heck, he tried with Yoshi yesterday... and that didn’t work. Nothing left to try unfortunately.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies- I agree we don’t have many good options but I think Archie Bradley for McFarland could try their hand at closing and possibly have better results- or go back to Ziegler!
It just doesnt make sense to keep putting Box in when he’s already had what- 6 blown saves?? So frustrating!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies- I agree we don’t have many good options but I think Archie Bradley for McFarland could try their hand at closing and possibly have better results- or go back to Ziegler!
It just doesnt make sense to keep putting Box in when he’s already had what- 6 blown saves?? So frustrating!
Archie needs to develop a dependable (emphasis on dependable) second pitch to go with his fast ball. Lately, he has been no more dependable than either Yoshi or Boxberger.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Archie has already proven his unreliability... and now over the past 30 days or so, even when he escapes an inning, he is getting shelled each time the batter hits a ball. Most of the time batters either take him deep, or hit a screaming line drive right at someone! I would stay FAR away from putting Archie in the 9th inning of any game...

TJ could be worth a shot, though he is hardly the type of pitcher that typically excels as a closer. We have to face facts here... This issue was cemented when we first signed Boxberger. What's puzzling to me is that the team didn't work with Archie to develop a quality 3rd pitch. I mean, we all know that throwing 94/95 MPH straight balls in the majors means getting shelled! Mariano was one the last great closers who essentially threw one pitch, however, that one pitch had movement on it as he had arguably the greatest Cut Fastballs in the history of the game. Archie doesn't throw a cutter. It's either straight heat, or, all too infrequently and usually when batters KNOW it's coming, he throws his curveball.

Suffice to say, we will see a new closer in 2019... Until then, strap in and brace for one helluva a roller coaster finish...

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies and educated opinions- and I agree, this last part of the season will be a roller coaster! Now we face a couple tough division teams- this next 2 series will be very telling as far as the playoffs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave