Sean Payton acquisition timeline (looking for clarity)

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
Happy new year all!

I was curious (with Black Monday looming) at how quickly a team (other than New Orleans) might acquire Sean Payton as their coach in 2023-2024. According to NFL.com the timeline for trading in the new league year is as follows:

March 15Trading period for 2023. Trading begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2022 contracts.

So if we canned Kilff on Monday I'm sure there might be discussions WRT trades but the website wasn't clear WRT what was allowed, especially concerning retired coaches and draft picks. Perhaps the March 15 deadline only applies to players and retired coaches & draft picks are exempt from the league year rules. It wasn't clear to me. And I assume even with a plan to trade for a coach the Rooney Rule still applies?

So here are my assumptions (looking for help if others have more knowledge):

9 January - Kilff canned
(GM interview and hiring window?)
7 March - Franchise tag designation day
13 March - Free agent "tampering"
15 March - Free agency period and trading period begins
(trading draft picks for coaches starts?)
3 April - Teams with new coaches may begin off-season work-outs
26-27 April - Draft

Thanks all!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think trading timeframe only applies to players

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
What about Rooney rule? How does that factor in, especially if it's obvious Payton is who they want? I know I wouldn't interview for a job that was already earmarked for someone else.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What about Rooney rule? How does that factor in, especially if it's obvious Payton is who they want? I know I wouldn't interview for a job that was already earmarked for someone else.
Not sure…I know it’s been modified recently. Teams now have to interview 2 minority candidates for open head coaching positions and 1 minority candidate for open coordinator positions. This change was done in 2021.

What I don’t know is if the GM position is open, too, does that get treated independently or could interviewing several minority candidates for that somehow count? Also, since Payton technically needs to be traded for, does the Rooney rule apply?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure…I know it’s been modified recently. Teams now have to interview 2 minority candidates for open head coaching positions and 1 minority candidate for open coordinator positions. This change was done in 2021.

What I don’t know is if the GM position is open, too, does that get treated independently or could interviewing several minority candidates for that somehow count? Also, since Payton technically needs to be traded for, does the Rooney rule apply?

Good point!

Although, I'd imagine they'd still have a few perfunctory interviews to mitigate if not avoid criticism.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Here’s part of the process

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure I would trade a high (team’s No. 1) for a new coach. If Cards were picking 17th, maybe. But not if they can grab a top 3 pick. That, to me, is simply an asset too valuable to trade away for a coach. But then again, if the current GM is making that pick, it’ll probably be screwed up anyway. So there you go.

football karma

Reaction score
my speculation on time frame:

1. Monday press release on letting KK go.

2. Could reach out to the Saints that day to ask for permission to talk. Saints and Cards could choose to negotiate the outlines of comp. If i am the Cards -- i want to lock that down at the time of getting permission.

That way, if the Saints ask is way out of bounds, you can move on.

This will also keep the Saints honest. Since the Chargers and Cowboys are in the playoffs, the Saints wont really know if there is competition for Payton at that moment.

3. Cards interview Vance and likely one outside minority candidate that week. Challenge will be the moment Payton's name gets officially linked to the Cards, everyone not named Payton will know who the favorite is.

4. Mike and braintrust could fly to LA Wednesday / thursday of next week to interview Payton, hammer out a deal.

that would be lightspeed movement, but its possible

the interim GM thing complicates it as well.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
my speculation on time frame:

1. Monday press release on letting KK go.

2. Could reach out to the Saints that day to ask for permission to talk. Saints and Cards could choose to negotiate the outlines of comp. If i am the Cards -- i want to lock that down at the time of getting permission.

That way, if the Saints ask is way out of bounds, you can move on.
Agree with this. Nothing would be worse than to fall in love with the candidate, but then not be willing or able to meet the demands to hire and have to settle for 2nd or 3rd choice.

This will also keep the Saints honest. Since the Chargers and Cowboys are in the playoffs, the Saints wont really know if there is competition for Payton at that moment.

3. Cards interview Vance and likely one outside minority candidate that week. Challenge will be the moment Payton's name gets officially linked to the Cards, everyone not named Payton will know who the favorite is.

4. Mike and braintrust could fly to LA Wednesday / thursday of next week to interview Payton, hammer out a deal.
I honestly think Payton would come to AZ to make and "official" visit, that way the narrative of "don't let him out of the building" would apply if there was any question on following hiring rules.

that would be lightspeed movement, but its possible

the interim GM thing complicates it as well.
Is there any chance Payton could/would want to be GM and HC? He is, after all, a Bill Parcells disciple. Maybe he wants to be able to shop for the groceries, too. They can always make AW Director of Player Personnel and Harris Assistant GM, to continue grooming them.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I’m not sure I would trade a high (team’s No. 1) for a new coach. If Cards were picking 17th, maybe. But not if they can grab a top 3 pick. That, to me, is simply an asset too valuable to trade away for a coach. But then again, if the current GM is making that pick, it’ll probably be screwed up anyway. So there you go.
I'd offer a 2 this year and 2024. That would probably equal a 1 this year.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Couple of things on that...It doesn't mention Rooney Rule, just the tampering policy, that I can see. Also, this was from 2018, before they revamped the Rooney Rule in 2021. Have you seen anything else? Seems clear as mud to me...lol
How about this, “The Colts will definitely be looking for a new Head Coach in the offseason. Because even if Jeff Saturday ends up being promoted from his interim position the NFL have told Jim Irsay he needs to fulfil the “Rooney rule” and interview diverse candidates. How appealing the Indianapolis job would be for an Offensively minded coach is up for debate though. They’ll need a new quarterback to be successful even if there is still a year left on Matt Ryan’s contract.”

Pretty sure this means the Cards would have to interview someone to comply.

football karma

Reaction score
Is there any chance Payton could/would want to be GM and HC?
at least the stated power on roster, etc

this might work in the Cards benefit

you would promote Quentin Harris to GM, but with the understanding that his power is limited. For a substantial raise, Quentin is likely ok with that

football karma

Reaction score
Pretty sure this means the Cards would have to interview someone to comply.
i would add that given the Flores/Wilks suit -- the Cards will meet the law and spirit of the Rooney rule many times over

football karma

Reaction score
btw: i am taking it as a good sign that neither of the two open HC slots -- DEN and CAR -- have had Payton's name come up -- and both have been linked to Harbaugh instead

if either were interested or believed that Payton was interested in them --- i am pretty certain a report would have come out that they asked the Saints for permission.

Its in the Saints interest to drive competition for Payton -- so they would leak asking for permission to signal to other teams to get moving

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Easy,

Interview Vance for the HC job. Check the box.

Interview Adrian Wilson for the GM position. Check the box.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Question I wanted to ask, and someone may have mentioned it earlier.. Does the Rooney Rule still apply when you have to "trade" for the coach?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Question I wanted to ask, and someone may have mentioned it earlier.. Does the Rooney Rule still apply when you have to "trade" for the coach?
I asked earlier and it appears it does, based on the quote Harry responded with.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The league year doesn't close until Feb 23rd, 2023. From what I understand, there is no trade deadline for non-players, so I would think that the trade could happen any time before the 23rd or after the new year starts in late March or April I think?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
easy. you sit down with Vance and talk with him about being a HC, what he has learned since last time, what he would do differently next time, etc.

rooney rule satisfied.

it can get difficult in situations like this where a coach is being married to a team during the previous season. Lots of guys will refuse an interview if they know its just for rooney...waste of time and all that.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
easy. you sit down with Vance and talk with him about being a HC, what he has learned since last time, what he would do differently next time, etc.

rooney rule satisfied.

it can get difficult in situations like this where a coach is being married to a team during the previous season. Lots of guys will refuse an interview if they know its just for rooney...waste of time and all that.
You need two interviews now, though, so who else are you interviewing in that mannor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose