Sean Miller’s Contract

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s challenging the binary thinking that his tenure at Arizona was a failure. Far lesser coaches than Miller have gone to the F4. Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie, Laranega (sp), Moser, and others. Miller won 73% of his games, the conference half of the time he was at Arizona, 3 Elite 8a, 3 COY and other tangible accolades. Would you trade all of that for one F4 appearance?
I don’t think Miller was an “epic” failure but I think he was a failure. He never maximized the program or his players, and his teams were boring and regularly underachieving. He also wasn’t endearing in any way shape or form to the regular Arizona fan imo. Because his tenure was uninspiring he’ll be a footnote in the history of the program unless it just fails to right itself back to Lute levels.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m done getting excited about coaches before they manage a game. I’m numb at the moment. I felt confident that Miller went back to his roots to coach players who bought into his system as opposed to OADs. We’ll see
So just speculating off your comment, its an assistant coach either here or somewhere else, that has never been a HC before?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Miller was an “epic” failure but I think he was a failure. He never maximized the program or his players, and his teams were boring and regularly underachieving. He also wasn’t endearing in any way shape or form to the regular Arizona fan imo. Because his tenure was uninspiring he’ll be a footnote in the history of the program unless it just fails to right itself back to Lute levels.

epic might have been a bridge too far. But very little tourney success plus leaving the program in shambles and scandal ridden is definitely failure.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Miller was Arizona’s coach for 12 years, and for at least half of his tenure, ran the conference. He’ll be a lot more than a footnote. Is John Chaney just a footnote at Temple, even though, like Miller, he didn’t get to a F4? I know what the Miller-detractors say, but I guarantee if he had gotten to even one F4, the Miller narrative is a lot different.

What Miller did for Arizona was save it from going to ruins when Lute had his health issues and was forced to retire, which led to ridiculous instability within the program. The refrain from national people today is that the Arizona job is still considered one of the best in the nation. That doesn’t happen if the program goes sideways in 2009-2010 like it was on track of doing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Miller was Arizona’s coach for 12 years, and for at least half of his tenure, ran the conference. He’ll be a lot more than a footnote. Is John Chaney just a footnote at Temple, even though, like Miller, he didn’t get to a F4? I know what the Miller-detractors say, but I guarantee if he had gotten to even one F4, the Miller narrative is a lot different.

What Miller did for Arizona was save it from going to ruins when Lute had his health issues and was forced to retire, which led to ridiculous instability within the program. The refrain from national people today is that the Arizona job is still considered one of the best in the nation. That doesn’t happen if the program goes sideways in 2009-2010 like it was on track of doing
To compare Miller to Chaney is flat out ridiculous bc Chaney was lauded for more than just being a good basketball coach.

your second paragraph is pretty accurate. But I’ll be shocked if anyone ever looks back wistfully saying “remember the Miller days?” If the program fully rebounds no one will ever talk about Miller unless it’s about his tournament losses or sanctions. When they want to reminisce it’ll be about Lute’s Cats. You might not consider that a footnote, but I do. And a disappointing one at that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Miller up until 2018 did a nice job here... A made 3 here or block call there and he’s a F4 coach but it doesn’t change the fact he was too loose with assistants. Even if it’s not violation you can’t be yucking it up with scumbags like Dawkins as much as he did.

The new coach will have his hands full keeping the roster intact.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m done getting excited about coaches before they manage a game. I’m numb at the moment. I felt confident that Miller went back to his roots to coach players who bought into his system as opposed to OADs. We’ll see

With Arizona's reputation as a basketball power they should be able to bounce back. I can see where they might have to go through an interim period until they can regain financial support from alumni and be able to pay for a high priced coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he did well yes but you can't compare Arizona to Temple, they literally had to practice at like 6am because they didn't have an onsite practice gym and to get time they had to start early. He had a fertile recruiting ground in Philly but very little recruiting budget, certainly didn't have Nike to help him get recruits to Temple.

The problem with Miller IMO, two things, he didn't get rid of Book when the problems first surfaced, he was trying to be a nice guy is the company line but IMO it was more the guy gets recruits so I'm willing to give him a pass on the other stuff. The second thing was when UCLA got the pipeline to the Compton Magic, it took the premier AAU program in California and took those kids away from Miller. The problem is they tried to go national and got involved with some kids and people they shouldn't have which eventually led to the whole FBI mess. If MIller had said 5 years ago or whenever it was sorry Book you're just too much of a risk to keep, he'd probably still be the UA coach.

Hire the right coach now and you will probably keep Simpson and most of the current roster and be pretty good next year. You just have to hope you're allowed to play in the tournament.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
he did well yes but you can't compare Arizona to Temple, they literally had to practice at like 6am because they didn't have an onsite practice gym and to get time they had to start early. He had a fertile recruiting ground in Philly but very little recruiting budget, certainly didn't have Nike to help him get recruits to Temple.

The problem with Miller IMO, two things, he didn't get rid of Book when the problems first surfaced, he was trying to be a nice guy is the company line but IMO it was more the guy gets recruits so I'm willing to give him a pass on the other stuff. The second thing was when UCLA got the pipeline to the Compton Magic, it took the premier AAU program in California and took those kids away from Miller. The problem is they tried to go national and got involved with some kids and people they shouldn't have which eventually led to the whole FBI mess. If MIller had said 5 years ago or whenever it was sorry Book you're just too much of a risk to keep, he'd probably still be the UA coach.

Hire the right coach now and you will probably keep Simpson and most of the current roster and be pretty good next year. You just have to hope you're allowed to play in the tournament.

I agree on Book. There were warning signs early on that he was a shady character, especially selling team info to a blogger, though I don't think anyone could've predicted that he would've pocketed bribe money. Then again, Book is an idiot. That was Miller's biggest mistake at Arizona, and perhaps a fatal flaw.

IIRC, the Compton Magic stuff was because of Gabe York's experience at Arizona and Adidas.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on Book. There were warning signs early on that he was a shady character, especially selling team info to a blogger, though I don't think anyone could've predicted that he would've pocketed bribe money. Then again, Book is an idiot. That was Miller's biggest mistake at Arizona, and perhaps a fatal flaw.

IIRC, the Compton Magic stuff was because of Gabe York's experience at Arizona and Adidas.

Combination of that and UCLA hired Grace as an assistant who had direct ties to the Magic. That led to them getting Anigbogu, Leaf, Hill, Bernard. It also helped get Riley because he was friends with several of the guys. UCLA got Lonzo in large part because the dad wanted him local and because Tyus Edney's daughters went to HS with Lonzo and his brothers so the Ball family was comfortable with UCLA(the daughters lived with Edneys ex wife). If Miller doesn't lose Leaf to UCLA he might have gotten Lonzo as well and frankly even without Lonzo that UA team with both Markkanen and Leaf, if they could get Trier to pass now and then they might have won a national title.

I guess we'll never know but the UCLA angle on that has always been Leaf always wanted to go to UCLA. the dad got mad at Adidas and took it out by having TJ commit to Arizona. The fallout there was inevitable. I remember Gershon very clearly on the UCLA board saying I never really believed Leaf was coming to Arizona, UCLA was always where he wanted to be.

If everyone that UCLA thinks is staying stays, if they get Myles Johnson as a transfer, the only way they have a ride for Simpson is if Juzang leaves, or someone else transfers and right now they don't really expect that. I kind of expect Juzang will leave but he might not decide until June so will Simpson wait around that long is anybodys guess.

Won't be at all surprised if you hire the right guy if he simply changes his mind and comes back to UA

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
With Arizona's reputation as a basketball power they should be able to bounce back. I can see where they might have to go through an interim period until they can regain financial support from alumni and be able to pay for a high priced coach.
My fear is becoming Indiana. A program that hangs onto decades old history for false relevance. It was very close to happening in 2009 when Tim Floyd almost became the coach here and is always a concern. At the same time, what Miller did was make Arizona a national brand as he was a successful coach and kept Arizona relevant nationally.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Combination of that and UCLA hired Grace as an assistant who had direct ties to the Magic. That led to them getting Anigbogu, Leaf, Hill, Bernard. It also helped get Riley because he was friends with several of the guys. UCLA got Lonzo in large part because the dad wanted him local and because Tyus Edney's daughters went to HS with Lonzo and his brothers so the Ball family was comfortable with UCLA(the daughters lived with Edneys ex wife). If Miller doesn't lose Leaf to UCLA he might have gotten Lonzo as well and frankly even without Lonzo that UA team with both Markkanen and Leaf, if they could get Trier to pass now and then they might have won a national title.

I guess we'll never know but the UCLA angle on that has always been Leaf always wanted to go to UCLA. the dad got mad at Adidas and took it out by having TJ commit to Arizona. The fallout there was inevitable. I remember Gershon very clearly on the UCLA board saying I never really believed Leaf was coming to Arizona, UCLA was always where he wanted to be.

If everyone that UCLA thinks is staying stays, if they get Myles Johnson as a transfer, the only way they have a ride for Simpson is if Juzang leaves, or someone else transfers and right now they don't really expect that. I kind of expect Juzang will leave but he might not decide until June so will Simpson wait around that long is anybodys guess.

Won't be at all surprised if you hire the right guy if he simply changes his mind and comes back to UA

I don't remember Arizona being that involved in Lonzo's recruitment. I don't think we even offered him. I remember LaVar saying that the Ball brothers pretty much bypassed recruiting altogether and committed to UCLA. Plus, I don't think Miller would've put up with Lavar's BS like Alford did.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fear is becoming Indiana. A program that hangs onto decades old history for false relevance. It was very close to happening in 2009 when Tim Floyd almost became the coach here and is always a concern. At the same time, what Miller did was make Arizona a national brand as he was a successful coach and kept Arizona relevant nationally.

The coach I always associate with Arizona basketball is Lute Olson.

IMO, he made Arizona basketball a powerhouse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember Arizona being that involved in Lonzo's recruitment. I don't think we even offered him. I remember LaVar saying that the Ball brothers pretty much bypassed recruiting altogether and committed to UCLA. Plus, I don't think Miller would've put up with Lavar's BS like Alford did.

Lonzo committed VERY early before his soph season. They eventually took commits from the other 2 brothers because several teams in the Pac 12 were offering to do so to get Lonzo away from UCLA, don't recall if UA was one, I know UW was, I think SC was too.

So I think it's accurate to say they weren't involved before he picked UCLA, and once he did I think it was pretty apparent that's where he was going. Again LaVar wasn't any issue at all when Lonzo was at UCLA, he obviously didn't handle Gelo well, but with Melo in the end it worked out the kid is going to be a star and got to the NBA.

Funny how that all worked out UCLA beat Cincy and Cronin in the tournament, after that was when UCLA fans started to seriously say you know if we get rid of Alford, Cronin should be on the list. We were all impressed with how well they played us given UCLA's clear talent edge.

By the way Tracy Pierson already has an article up saying UCLA is expected to become involved with Simpson right away.