Screw Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/093/nation/Dozens_walk_out_of_Pearl_Jam_c:.shtml

Dozens walk out of Pearl Jam concert after anti-Bush song, remarks

By Associated Press, 4/3/2003 14:58

DENVER (AP)
Dozens of fans walked out of a Pearl Jam concert after lead singer Eddie Vedder took a mask of President Bush and impaled it on a microphone stand.

Several concertgoers booed and shouted Tuesday night for Vedder to shut up as he told the crowd he was against the war and Bush. He impaled the mask during the encore of the band's opening show of a U.S. tour.

''It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick,'' fan Keith Zimmerman said.

Vedder used a Bush mask in Australia and Japan to perform the song ''Bushleaguer,'' from the band's latest album, ''Riot Act.'' The song's lyrics say, ''He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer.''

During the show, Vedder said: ''Just to clarify... we support the troops.''

''We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes non-support,'' he said. ''We love them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy .... Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions.''

Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday.

The Dixie Chicks were the target of boycotts and bans after their lead singer made anti-Bush statements on a London stage last month.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

:trout: I'm so sick of these people using their fame as a grounds for forcing their opinions down peoples' throats. People went to the concert to hear music, not get a politics lecture from people who are far from qualified to give one.

adam
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You ever read Vedder's lyrics? They are rife with social and political commentary.

Anyone who goes to a Pearl Jam show and doesnt expect to get preached at is as naive as they come.

I think Vedder's passionate about what he believes, but I dont think for a second he has the empathy to understand the opposing viewpoints of any given situation, so he sounds like an imbicile most of time.

That being said, some of the greatest music to ever come from this country came during times of war and protest, and musicians have ALWAYS used their musical forum to proclaim their beliefs. So I can't say I hold it against him to pontificate on it, when the album they were touring in support of, already had the song on it. Hell, punk bands of the early 80's wrote all sorts of amazing songs, anti-governemen songs, anti reagan songs anti police songs, but middle class white america wasnt paying any attention to punk rock at the time becasue it wasn't in vogue like it has become in recent years. Now when rockers get political, they get chastised? I dont think thats fair. If musicians only wroe bubblegum fluff like most of pop music today, I for one would not have music as a part of my life.

It might be a bit of a double standard, but its not the same thing that The Dixie Chicks did. The DC's are bubblegum pop country garbage and out of left field got all political on us. Vedder and Pearl Jam have been making politically charged music since before they were Pearl Jam, so its not like he's doing anything new. And I dont believe in silencing dissent at any time, so Im not offended by his preaching. (I'd like to hear Chaplin's take on this, too. He's a PJ fan and war supporter so his insights could be interesting here)

His mocking of the president by using the mask, inappropriate and over the top, and he can be criticized for that in my opinion, but not solely for speaking his voice.

For the record, I cant stand Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam, so this is in no way a fan with a biased opinion defending him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan
Toe Jam sucks!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Wow. How intellectual. :D

Yes, I am pro-war, and I am a Pearl Jam fan. My take is that I try to concentrate on the music. I am NOT looking forward to what they will say when I see them in Vegas in June, but I just try to concentrate on the music. Yes, it is politically charged, but I think that is part of what makes Pearl Jam great--they have the cajones to do what they want, no matter what.

I strongly disagree with what Vedder stands for in this case, however.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Wow. How intellectual. :D

Yes, I am pro-war, and I am a Pearl Jam fan. My take is that I try to concentrate on the music. I am NOT looking forward to what they will say when I see them in Vegas in June, but I just try to concentrate on the music. Yes, it is politically charged, but I think that is part of what makes Pearl Jam great--they have the cajones to do what they want, no matter what.

I strongly disagree with what Vedder stands for in this case, however.

Hey... being a fan of Pearl Jam is fine. I personnally do not care for there music or Eddie Vedder for that matter. His political BS just makes it harder for me to tolerate them/him.

JMO