Scouts, Inc.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I received an email asking what I knew about Scouts, Inc. They used to be an independent scouting service. Incredibly it was all really complied by 2 guys, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl. They worked much like I did when I was crazy enough to do it. In a typical season they would watch upwards of 40 hours of game tape per week and Weidl typically traveled to 17 ACC and SEC games. While Muench would make the trip to seven games and two all-star contests. At one point I had 2 cable TV boxes and DTV. I’d go to various FL area games. I’d typically do one all-star game. Yes, I got press box passes, locker room access & and post game press conference access. I could also go to field level the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter in most cases.

In 2014 they were acquired by ESPN and they provide much of the data used but Todd McShay for his analysis. Their offerings also note team needs and draft trends as the draft nears.

When people ask me about getting started I warn it’s quite a bit more involved than watching a few games. As of today I’m not working professionally and have no intention of doing so. I have DTV and record a few games but mostly for enjoyment or curiosity. If I need more info I still have contacts in the press, friends still scouting and a few even working for various teams. None of us are infallible but we all honed our skills the old fashioned and if we weren’t decent we didn’t last long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson