Scottie Reynolds

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

He probably won't get a chance to play in the SL but the Suns should sign him for insurance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Suns signing another scorer that can play some PG. I don't think Scottie Reynolds will disappoint. Failure does not seem to be in his vocabulary. I sure hope the Suns sign him to at least a make good contract and take him to training camp.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Suns signing another scorer that can play some PG. I don't think Scottie Reynolds will disappoint. Failure does not seem to be in his vocabulary. I sure hope the Suns sign him to at least a make good contract and take him to training camp.

I watched a few games of his in college. I really liked him. I think he can play at the next level. Sucks he's hurt but I hope the Suns keep an eye on him.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If the Suns make another deal shipping J-Rich for a PF like Scola or Al Jefferson, the Suns won't need a 3rd PG with the aquisition of Turk. He plays a lot of point foward ala Grant Hill. If we keep J-Rich, then yes, the Suns would and should look for another Point. With that, I'd prefer Anthony Carter for the Vet min over any rookie, including Reynolds. Especially with the Vet laden team we're assembling.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter?? I will take Reynold over Carter, the rookie got some hustle in him. Knock on him was height and PG skills but there is the possibility he can develop the latter training with Nash.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Carter?? I will take Reynold over Carter, the rookie got some hustle in him. Knock on him was height and PG skills but there is the possibility he can develop the latter training with Nash.

Reynolds would possibly be nice, if we saw what he could do against NBA talent. Carter is a great vet PG that would push the pace and help with keeping a vet team led when Nash and Dragic sit. Good defense too. Reynolds isn't much of an on ball defender. He is good at catching up from behind and swiping at balls once he's beat though. Hmmmmm...that reminds me of a SF/PF from college that used to do the same thing....and the Suns drafted him last year at #14 overall.

All i'm saying is if we want a cheap, NBA ready, defensive, pace pusher we should seriously look at Anthony Carter over any rookie.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Im a Villanova guy so i might be biased but i love scottie, he is a natural born leader who can shoot the lights outs, make the big shot, and is a smart player....if we had noone behind nash i would do it but the need isnt there with dragic

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering, Scottie Reynolds IS playing tonight, and in fact I believe he's gotten into the game. So set your DVRs for 4am tomorrow morning!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's looking pretty good in his SL debut. He is really aggressive pushing the ball.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They interviewed Alvin Gentry during the game and asked him what he wanted to get out of the SL. He included Reynolds with Clark and Lawal as the guys they are looking to develop.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
i never was a huge fan of his at nova but he seemed in summer league to play with smarts and under control.not too flashy but to get 7,8,9 assists in summer league where its a one-on-one bonanza,its pretty impressive.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unfortunately that article points out that he may be weighing other offers. Wonder if the Suns wanted to keep him out to try to limit interest from other teams.
I think we should have just drafted him with the 60th pick. It was almost certain that Dwayne Collins wouldn't play in the summer leagues, so why not draft Reynolds instead? Collins could still have been invited to training camp.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should have just drafted him with the 60th pick. It was almost certain that Dwayne Collins wouldn't play in the summer leagues, so why not draft Reynolds instead? Collins could still have been invited to training camp.

I'm intrigued by the incredible wingspan Collins has for a man of his height. I'm not sure he'd have been any more available as a non-draftee than Reynolds might be.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the incredible wingspan Collins has for a man of his height. I'm not sure he'd have been any more available as a non-draftee than Reynolds might be.

Steve

I haven't seen any of Collins so I don't really know what he's going to bring. I've heard mention of his wingspan but would be more interested in actual measurements, particularly reach. Seems like he'll replicate a lot of what the Suns will get in Lawal who'll likely only play spot minutes.

Suns are a Nash or Dragic injury away from being in dire need of a playmaking guard, so count me among those that feels they should have just drafted Reynolds at 60.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of Collins so I don't really know what he's going to bring. I've heard mention of his wingspan but would be more interested in actual measurements, particularly reach. Seems like he'll replicate a lot of what the Suns will get in Lawal who'll likely only play spot minutes.

Suns are a Nash or Dragic injury away from being in dire need of a playmaking guard, so count me among those that feels they should have just drafted Reynolds at 60.

I agree with your injury concerns. However, we need a true big even without an injury so I'd place a premium on that area. We're probably not going to be in contention for anything if we lose Nash which, in my mind, lessens the importance of a quality 3rd string point guard. We do need one. I just don't think, given our situation, it's as difficult to find or as necessary for our short term success.

Realistically, Collins probably won't even make the team and if he does he probably won't see any court time but I still like the idea of him (if not the player himself). As important as height and length are, wingspan can be even more valuable. All things considered, I'd rather have a 6'8 guy with 7'3 wingspan than a 6'10 guy with 6'10 wingspan. He's a long shot but if they can develop him as a PF (for which he's shown basically no aptitude) he could end up being a steal in this draft.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the Suns would have had to do immediately after summer camp is offer Reynolds at least a partially guaranteed contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the Suns would have had to do immediately after summer camp is offer Reynolds at least a partially guaranteed contract.

Or even before summer camp. Collins is somewhat of an unknown as a PF because he's played mostly center and he's never really had a decent PG to work with. Reynolds, OTOH, is a pretty developed player with very few secrets. His strengths and weaknesses are well known and he did nothing in summer league to change his pre-draft value. They knew what he was capable of and should have tendered an offer as soon as the guy went undrafted.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or even before summer camp. Collins is somewhat of an unknown as a PF because he's played mostly center and he's never really had a decent PG to work with. Reynolds, OTOH, is a pretty developed player with very few secrets. His strengths and weaknesses are well known and he did nothing in summer league to change his pre-draft value. They knew what he was capable of and should have tendered an offer as soon as the guy went undrafted.

Steve

I should have been clearer... the Suns should have signed Reynolds after their summer camp. Or I wouldn't argue the point that Reynolds should have been signed after the draft. However, I'm thinking that Dwayne Collins at #60 was well worth the look.

I always remember asking why Kevin Duckworth wasn't drafted in the first round by some team in 1986. Although the Suns bombed on William Bedford, they aced the second round by drafting Jeff Hornacek.

Errntknght

Reaction score
According to the linked article, Reynolds is expected to have other offers - the invite has been made but not accepted. I read before that Scottie requested the Suns to include him on their summer league team, so thats a good sign... assuming it was an accurate statement.

The Suns definitely need another guard that can play the point and Reynolds looks to be a good fit because he likes to push the ball upcourt in a hurry - and he showed good court vision doing it in the SL. Not such great vision in the halfcourt but, heck, we ought to go for an all out SSOL so the half court isn't too critical.