Scott Church article that makes you feel better about upcoming season....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Suns Offseason

By Scott Church
for HOOPSWORLD.com

Aug 15, 2005, 12:14
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Well, where to start is the real question? The Suns off-season looked to be filled with players resigning with the team and acquisitions of players that could help defend the paint and get the Suns a title. How things all went wrong. There is still hope though for the team even after losing Q, JJ and Hunter. This report is going to look at how it all started to fall apart and later this week will be a post showing how the Suns will still be considered title contenders.

Summer of 2004: The Suns off-season last year was filled with acquiring players that could fit with the Suns fun-n-gun system. The first and worst move last off-season was trading the rights to the seventh pick to the Bulls for a future first round pick as well as Jackson Vroman. The move was made to clear up cap space so that the Suns could make a stronger push at their number one target and still land another good player. Steve Nash was the number one target and the Suns were able to acquire his word at the start of the free agent period. Next came the signing of Quentin Richardson. Q looked to be an odd fit since the team already had Joe Johnson at the two. The next signing was free agent center Steven Hunter. Hunter had an uneventful career with the Orlando Magic up till his time with the Suns. In fact, the Magic had lost all interest in him and sent him packing in a trade that also saw Drew Gooden heading to Cleveland. The Cavs saw nothing that they liked about Hunter and cut him immediately upon finishing the trade. Hunter was seeing little interest from any clubs and the Suns gave him a call. Because he was a friend of Q’s and he wasn’t getting any kind of offers anywhere else, he signed with the Suns. Hunter could have been in the NBDL or being brought onto NBA teams for stretches last season if it wasn’t for the Suns. Just shows you how much of a business basketball really is, otherwise he would have resigned with the team that gave him a shot and helped improve his game. It will be interesting to see how Hunter fits in with the 76ers. He doesn’t have Amare to watch his back and will be in the sort of slow-down-offense he struggled with in Orlando.

These are the big events that happened during the 2004 off-season. Overall, the Suns did an amazing job getting Nash and did okay with the rest of the players. Looking back, the Suns should have kept their draft pick, landing them their choice of Loul Deng or Andre Iguodala. Both of these players would have fit with the Suns system while playing better defense than Q ever has. This could have meant that Q might not have been signed and the Suns would have had a chance of landing Erik Dampier. Though Dampier isn’t the best player, he would have been a better option than Hunter ever was. Dampier probably would have been out of the Suns money range anyways but they would have made a pass at him. If not Dampier, the Suns would have money left over to land a player that would have given them bench depth. Signing Nash was absolutely the best thing the Suns did last season and everything else was just okay. Since I have never been a Q fan, I don’t agree with signing him especially when the Suns had JJ and had to give up Iguodala to get him.

Even though all the Suns moves weren’t the best, the Suns finished the regular season with the best record in the league and made it to the Western Conference Finals. A lot of credit needs to be directed to Coach D’Antoni that let the Suns play their best players instead of playing a traditional lineup. A team like the Jazz would have played their system, yet D’Antoni played to the strength of the players. The funny thing about sports writers is that they stick to tradition. Everyone was saying the Suns fun-n-gun couldn’t work in the playoffs. ‘Half-court sets and slowed down games as well as defense is all that is played in the postseason. The Suns running game simply can’t work.’ These are the type of things people were saying. That all stopped when the Suns ran through the first two rounds of the playoffs. Then those same writers started writing it again when the Suns faced the Spurs in the Western Conference Finals. Again that assumption was wrong. The funny thing is, the Spurs adapted to how the Suns played in the WCF and played it better than the Suns did. It was obvious that the Suns would never be able to get past the Spurs and to the finals unless they added some interior defense or Tim Duncan’s leg fell off at the knee. Of course you never hope a player gets hurt so the only choice for the Suns was to add some interior players that could make an impact.

2005 Off-season Priorities:
1. Resign Amare Stoudemire
2. Resign Joe Johnson
3. Defensive low post players
4. A backup PG
5. Bench Depth

The Suns came into the off-season with two major needs above everything else, resigning JJ and Amare Stoudemire. Both appeared to be in the Suns future plans and it seamed impossible that either player would want to leave.

As soon as the Suns could start talking with other teams, the Suns got a hold of the Knicks. The Suns wanted Kurt Thomas and were offering Q and a 2006 first round pick for him. The Knicks rejected the trade and it appeared to be over. During the 2005 draft, the Suns traded the pick they had gotten from the Bulls the previous draft and Q for Thomas. This got the deal done but the Suns had to sit and watch Nate Robinson at the summer league in Vegas, now on the Knicks, play the best ball out of any other player there. Two straight seasons and the Suns traded away their first round picks. Both of them are going to be stars and they basically gave them both away and Q for Kurt Thomas. Yes Thomas will help this team in the immediate future but the long term loss is devastating. Thomas fills a need that neither of the three above players could, playing center and strong defense under the basket.

This appeared to be just the thing the Suns needed. The Suns made a run at Raja Bell from the Jazz the day that free agents could start talking with teams. The Suns got a verbal agreement from the defensive minded wing player. With both Bell and Thomas now on the team, it looked like the Suns would have an amazing team, improving in the areas they needed the most help.

This is when the rumors that JJ was not happy with the Suns started. The Hawks were going to offer JJ a max contract and knew that the Suns could match. Knowing this, the Hawks gave the Suns a call and offered them a sign and trade for JJ. The Suns management couldn’t believe that not only was JJ going to be going to another team, he actually wanted to go.

The story of JJ: Does anyone remember the JJ that the Suns got from Boston at the trade deadline of the 01-02 season? JJ was considered a bust by the Celtics and they were happy to unload him for players that could actually help their team. JJ came to the Suns with no confidence. He played the same position as Penny Hardaway and found that he wasn’t getting as many minutes as he wanted. The Suns saw something in him though and wanted to give him as many chances as they could. The 03-04 season appeared to be the season that JJ would break out and pass Penny as the starter. JJ had also been working on his ball handling skills and looked to be able to help at the point. This experiment didn’t work as well as management thought. JJ struggled knowing that at any time he could be pulled for Penny. He had a hard time knowing that he had to produce and he couldn’t take the pressure. The Suns finally found a sucker . . . . GM willing to take Penny’s bad contract as well as Stephen Marbury off of their hands. The middle of the 03-04 saw a big trade with the Knicks that moved JJ into the starting spot. Unfortunately, JJ didn’t take the leadership role like he should have and the Suns had a terrible season. JJ played well that year but didn’t step up when he had the chance. JJ was up for an extension after this season and the Suns management didn’t feel as if he was worth it at the time and owner Robert Sarver was giving money to free agents instead. JJ now says that he was upset that the Suns didn’t respect him enough to give him a contract then and that’s one of the reasons he now wants to leave. The 04-05 season saw JJ breakout and have an amazing season. Many say he was a product of the system and I have to agree. JJ saw his numbers go up because he was with a PG that found him when he was open and he also got good looks from Amare getting double teamed for most of the game. JJ also improved his ball handling skills and his ability to hit an open shot. JJ still didn’t try to take the ball to the basket but he improved in many areas of his game where he used to struggle. His confidence was up and this is what is now hurting the Suns.

JJ came to the Suns management with many excuses for why he wanted to leave. He felt disrespected, he was mad at Amare for yelling at him, he wanted to be a leader, he didn’t want to be the fourth option, on and on the list goes.

The amazing thing about JJ’s list is that he could have done all of these things the year that Marbury and Penny left the team. JJ wants to be the first option and lead the team, where was he that season. The rest of the team really stunk that year and JJ didn’t lead them to the playoffs. Why does he believe he can do that in Atlanta? Sure, it was two years ago and JJ’s game isn’t what it is today, but I didn’t see him trying to do his “list” when he had a chance with the Suns. It’s just really ridiculous. Ask a player like Paul Pierce, who would love to be on a team like the Suns, and he would take less money to win that ring and be on a contender. The main reason I believe JJ is leaving is because he wants to be closer to his family. He has just about everything else in Phoenix that he would have in Atlanta except for being close to his family. This is something you can not fault a man for. Family should come before basketball, just don’t tell that to the millions of NBA fans that just want a good product on the floor and don’t care about player’s personal lives. If this is the main reason for leaving, JJ shouldn’t have said anything else and just said family.

The Suns and Hawks came to an agreement of a sign and trade for JJ. This deal appears to have been discussed for some time. The Hawks agreed to send Boris Diaw and two future first round picks to the Suns for a resigned JJ. This is interesting since the Hawks gave Diaw a lot of time on their summer league team at the Rocky Mountain *****. Diaw saw a lot of time at the PG position as well as some time at SG. Since JJ handled the backup PG position for the Suns, it would appear that the Hawks were instructed by the Suns to run him at point to see how he would do. This appears to be a good assumption but, as far as I know, the Suns also did not have a scout or any personnel at the RMR and I would expect that they would have liked to see how Diaw was doing at the point.

The interesting thing about the trade is Diaw. I reported some time back that I wouldn’t be surprised if a sign and trade happened. It is just surpising that neither of Atlanta’s second year Josh’s were involved. Josh Smith and Childress would have been pickups for the Suns than Diaw. Childress can play 1-3 and Smith can play either forward position. Though Diaw is a decent player, either Josh would have been a better fit for the Suns. The Hawks owners that like this deal as well as the coaches and personal all know that the Hawks were lucky not having to give up one of the Josh’s. Diaw will have every chance to get playing time with the Suns though. He can play 1-3 and has decent handle on the ball. His best characteristic is his maturity and his defense. He is a smart player that has been all over the world. He understands basketball. Some people feel that he doesn’t care enough about the game and that he doesn’t show enough passion. He has shot down these reports and his skills will greatly help the Suns. He doesn’t have a great shot like JJ but he could work on it and become a decent outside shooter. Diaw will be relied upon to defend the three point line and run the wing.

The two first round picks could really win the Suns a great player. Both picks are lottery protected in 06, while one of them is only top 3 protected in 07 and open in 08. So the Suns could start getting really good picks from the Hawks starting in the 07 draft. This is a good thing since the 06 draft appears to be a poor draft year and I doubt the Hawks will be in the playoffs this coming season. It is a good bet that the Hawks won’t be in the playoffs by 07 and this pick could turn out to be a steal for the Suns.

The 4.9 million dollar trade exception could really help the Suns at the trade deadline. When teams that aren’t going to make the playoffs start trying to dump salary, the Suns could get a quality player that will help them in their playoff run.

Many people have written me asking how the Suns will be nearly as good without two starters and a key bench player. I have to ask, how will they not be as good? The Suns didn’t trade their three core All-Star players. If you are still trying to answer that question, look for a follow up report later this week that shows how the Suns will be better overall than last season. Even though ESPN and other authors are saying the Suns aren’t going to be as good, they will be a better playoff team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have to stop reading this guy's columns, at least until he graduates from high school in a couple of years.

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
i dont understand why anyone would want dampier. biggest waste of money ever. i literally would not take him for vets minimum let alone the huge contract he got. he is HIDEOUS

scotsman13

Reaction score
Neo said:
If you can't make your first sentence grammatically correct, perhaps writing is not your calling in life.

well it seems that the lot of you have forgotten the first rule of english, as an author anything goes.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
PakistaniRambo said:
i dont understand why anyone would want dampier. biggest waste of money ever. i literally would not take him for vets minimum let alone the huge contract he got. he is HIDEOUS

Exactly..

I really am failing to understand this. It would have been more wise to waste a bunch of cap space on a career underachiever instead of taking a one-year, no risk flier on another?

Thank God this guy's not the Suns' GM.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Also about the Knicks trade --

They didn't reject a trade for a 2006 first and Q. From what BC said, the deal was Q and a future first (no year given) for Thomas. There was a condition on the pick though - If the player(s) the Suns wanted were off the board the pick would be conveyed this year.

In other words, they didn't want anyone on the board so they sent the pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Also about the Knicks trade --

They didn't reject a trade for a 2006 first and Q. From what BC said, the deal was Q and a future first (no year given) for Thomas. There was a condition on the pick though - If the player(s) the Suns wanted were off the board the pick would be conveyed this year.

In other words, they didn't want anyone on the board so they sent the pick.

Ike

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
devilalum said:

Hypothetically speaking, do you think if Ike had been available, they'd have traded the pick?

Golden State threw a lot of teams through a loop, but I think Phoenix would have kept the pick if Digou was going to be available to them at 21. Yet, but the time they traded the pick, Digou had basically entranched himself as a Top 15 pick.

What's your thoughts? Do you think trading Richardson was an important issue to the Suns?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
Hypothetically speaking, do you think if Ike had been available, they'd have traded the pick?

Golden State threw a lot of teams through a loop, but I think Phoenix would have kept the pick if Digou was going to be available to them at 21. Yet, but the time they traded the pick, Digou had basically entranched himself as a Top 15 pick.

What's your thoughts? Do you think trading Richardson was an important issue to the Suns?

There were probably several players that the Phoenix Suns would have taken and kept at #21. I suspect Joey Graham was one of them as well as Danny Granger. Of course they supposedly loved Garcia, and they could have had him.

As soon as the Suns could start talking with other teams, the Suns got a hold of the Knicks. The Suns wanted Kurt Thomas and were offering Q and a 2006 first round pick for him. The Knicks rejected the trade and it appeared to be over. During the 2005 draft, the Suns traded the pick they had gotten from the Bulls the previous draft and Q for Thomas. This got the deal done but the Suns had to sit and watch Nate Robinson at the summer league in Vegas, now on the Knicks, play the best ball out of any other player there. Two straight seasons and the Suns traded away their first round picks. Both of them are going to be stars and they basically gave them both away and Q for Kurt Thomas. Yes Thomas will help this team in the immediate future but the long term loss is devastating. Thomas fills a need that neither of the three above players could, playing center and strong defense under the basket.

The Phoenix Suns only had the #21 draft pick this summer because they had traded the #7. They only traded one pick there. they basically traded the same pick twice.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Snake said:

I don't know but my guess is they were holding out for Ike, knowing it was a long shot they didn't want to make the same mistake 2 years in a row.

I don't know which was more important getting Q or getting Thomas. Both were rumored to be on the Suns agenda.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave