School shooting in Santa Clarita

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Town Drunk, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

2. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

Just got this email from my alma mater... New Mexico Military Institute.. Drive by..

Screenshot_20191114-144702_Email.jpg

3. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

Yep. I can’t do it anymore. Thanksgiving is going to be fun with my right leaning family.

82CardsGrad and Russ Smith like this.
  4. Dante

Dante Registered

This is heartbreaking.

Edit:

It was a false report.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I don't know why, but this is hitting me harder than usual. Maybe because it's so close...

6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

For me my youngest niece is 14 and a freshman in HS so it really hit home to me that someone her age, in HS, got killed today at school by someone 2 years older than her.

7. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Time to take another look at this video....

8. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Future generations will judge our country at this time harshly, and rightfully so.

Linderbee and Russ Smith like this.
  9. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

They will still be shooting each other. They will judge us for Trump

10. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I am sick and tired beyond words of this.

Jersey Girl and Russ Smith like this.
  11. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

12. Luciano

Luciano Registered

NRA needs to be wiped off the universe

carrrnuttt and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  13. Russ Smith

They had a kid on tv last night who said yes we've been doing active shooter drills for years but we weren't prepared for being this terrified. No drill could prepare us completely for the idea that someone our age was actively trying to kill us.

Our 14 year old niece(Sacramento) texted us last night just to say hi and I wound up texting back and forth with her about Survivor and her soccer team etc. Meanwhile her mom was texting her sister(my girlfriend) telling her how upset the 14 year old was with what happened in Saugus. Which is sort of what we suspected, its' not uncommon for her to text me we get along very well but it's usually 2-3 texts and then back to her homework or her friends, I knew it was more about something else. Kids should not have to deal with this sort of fear, nobody should but kids in school, no way.

14. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I saw an interview with kids yesterday where they said they knew it was not a drill because it was before school started. And drills never happen then. That is a fact. I remember staff once had a big discussion about doing a drill at lunch one day but decided against it due to the chaos that would have happened. I mean, imagine say 500 kids in the cafeteria, 500 kids in the courtyard and 1000 kids in class. Class, it's no problem. But we pull up our magnetic strips and the doors lock ASAP. What do you think all those kids outside in the courtyard and the cafeteria are going do? Where can they possibly go? The ones outside would stampede out the the one unlocked, from the inside, gate we have. The other two are padlocked until the end of the school day. i suppose some kids who could would try to climb those but they are hard to climb on purpose. The cafeteria would stampede out the back of the cafeteria through about three doors, with huge bottlenecks at each gate and door.

A shooter on our campus during lunch is the worst possible scenario. The shooter could go to any of those points and just mow them down with an AR 15. The fact we have to serious discussions about such scenarios is sick. Our country is just sick.

We do have a Gilbert police officer on campus and he is out there at both lunches, every day. He would be our only hope.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    MigratingOsprey likes this.
  15. Russ Smith

Yep it's terrifying. That school in Saugus apparently shot an active shooter video about 2 months ago that's how real this stuff is for kids today. And teachers and anybody else on a campus.

I'll be 54 in a couple of weeks, when I was that age this stuff never dawned on us it's just insane we've got to this point.

And it's already started gun owners saying it was a gun free zone, gun laws wouldn't have prevented this the kid was 16. The kids father apparently owned guns, the father died of a heart attack in 2017 and they think the mom just didn't get rid of the guns and that's where the 16 year old got it. From what they think, the dad was the only licensed gun owner in the house, he'd been dead for 2 years. If there were a more serious set of laws that tracked this sort of thing you can see where in 2 years maybe it comes up hey this guy owned guns, he's dead, so those guns can't legally be in his house anymore? Maybe if there were such tracking systems it would have dawned on the mom, who's probably still grieving the loss of her husband, that maybe I should get rid of these guns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.