School Loan Consolidation

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the rate increases in July, has anyone used consolidation programs? If so, what kind of rates are you getting?

Regards,

A-Bomb

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing this soon, and will reply once I do!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you have your loans through one company, you can't consolidate. If you have them through multiple banks/finance companies, then you can.

I would suggest definitely doing it. I did it 2 years ago. They threaten rate increases all the time, but I don't really recall (or notice) when it actually happens.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Consolidated mine last June with Nextstudent. Got something like 3.5%. I have a friend that works there if you need any info.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If you have your loans through one company, you can't consolidate. If you have them through multiple banks/finance companies, then you can.

I would suggest definitely doing it. I did it 2 years ago. They threaten rate increases all the time, but I don't really recall (or notice) when it actually happens.

Hmmm..I think I have three loans, all through the feds, not a bank per se. Not sure if this helps.

A-Bomb

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I consolidated through Wells Fargo dba "the Student Loan Company" at 4.25% several years back. I've missed a couple payments by mistake, and they've never raised the rate.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
abomb said:
Hmmm..I think I have three loans, all through the feds, not a bank per se. Not sure if this helps.

A-Bomb

It this is the case, your best bet may be to take out another loan with a different agency. Therefore, as Chap said, you will be able to consolidate with an independent company. Otherwise your current lender has no incentive to consolidate and lower your rate.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
however, if you have multiple loans with one company they will consolidate them for you

I had all loans with american education services - i couldn't consolidate with anyone else, so I had to use them

they gave me the same program everyone else was offering

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
however, if you have multiple loans with one company they will consolidate them for you

I had all loans with american education services - i couldn't consolidate with anyone else, so I had to use them

they gave me the same program everyone else was offering

Same here, but through Sallie Mae. Got a 3.5% and they will lower it to 2.5% if I dont miss a payment for the first 3 years.