Say Man.. Who Here..

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Man the memories from SDS! There are so many bad ones, just based on the heat and the seats. But I tell you what those Sundays were the best of my life! Tailgating by the river bottom, Six Shooters, then discovering Lot D and it becoming the spot to be. Fighting Rams, Raiders and most of all Cowpuke fans. Back when a good ole fist fight wasnt cause for riot squads and criminal charges.

Damn Brothers and Sisters, it has been one hell of a ride. Remember the long standing Urban legend: "My friend couldnt make it to the game so he put his tickets under his windshield wipers with a sign that said Free Take them, only to return and find 20 more tickets"? I have made some of my best friends through Cardinals football.

Here is a little something I thought I had lost many years ago. Oh what a game this was!!!

Attachments

• Photo-0075.jpg
    Photo-0075.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 114

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ever since the move. I should have known I'd chosen a team that would torture me for years when their star QB went down to a career-ending injury the year I started rooting for them. Hey, does that make me a jinx?

:stick:

:D

I was 15 when I started going to Cards games at SDS. 3 years later I was 35.

Stout you weren't the jinx. It was Shane, a Cards and Cubs fan.

Been a fan since 1960 when the Cards moved to St.Louis.

Lots of Texas boys were baseball Cardinal fans because Houston was the Cards AAA farm club until 1962 and you could listen to the games at night on KMOX. So I just picked up on the football team as well. Bobby Joe Conrad was my favorite player despite being an aggie.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I need to reminsce about hte good ole days

I spent many a day sweating my a$$ off. But I made a few of the the Gee tailgates. I sat in section 27 for almost 10 years until moving to Wi. One of the biggest reasons I almost didn't take the job in Wi is beacuse the wife and I didn't want to miss game days.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:cheers: To every one of you who have been followers of this team through good times and bad. Huge kudos to everyone who sat in the heat at SDS. Reading your stories I am filled with admiration for you. I always knew that you deserved last year's trip to the Super Bowl a lot more than I did, having been a fan of this team only since my move here a couple of years ago. (At least I was on board before the bandwagon made its stop.) Well done, my friends, well done!!

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1988, saw every game the first two seasons when my dad had season tickets. The next four, I saw two or three a year (while I was finishing college) and have had season tickets since 1994. The ONLY game I've missed since then was the final one of 1997 when Plummer lead a 4th quarter rally for a win against the Falcons. I was listening to that at home with a 103 degree fever, cussing myself for not being there.

I'd have to say the moment that was the sweetest, other than the playoff season, was that Minnesota game. I was the ONLY season ticket holder who hadn't dumped their tickets within about 4 rows in section 9. The Vikings fans gave me a lot of crap, and the looks on their faces after that TD made every penny i spent that year worth it. I kept trying to shake their hands saying, "Thank you for coming and helping pay for our new stadium. See you in Glendale in 8 years." That got me cussed out by a mother in front of her three children. Hilarious. :D

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
I have been a fan since they showed up here in the valley. Started in the NEZ with my dad and eventually bought my own tickets in sec 11 and rode out the rest of the years there. I also fondly remember that niners game where we were down by 19 going into the fourth. We came back and won and it was raining souvenir cups everywhere.

I also have video of people leaving the stadium after we beat the chargers to get the wild card. The field goal posts going down Mill after the cowboys win. Storming the field like college kids after several victories. My kids being shown on the big screen every week, I think they were gathering evidence for child abuse as the thermometer reached 120.

I love the new stadium and all, but there was a special bond the fans had at Sundevil. This has not been duplicated at the new diggs, but maybe with more time the newer fans will catch the fever that some of us have had for so long. We battled weekly for control in our own stadium and sometimes twenty thousand would sound like fifty. Now we have to beg to get fans in the UOP to raise there voice. Things change, but it will be hard to get better memories then the old days.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Been a Cards fan since or before 1988.. Say Yup Yup! I dont wanna hear from none yall that jump on in the past few years ya suckers.. You would get worked..

:(

Unfortunately, I cannot say I was. Too busy being a front runner fan back in my youth.

I came aboard during the Buddy Ryan era (1993) at the age of about 14.

Not old school enough I am afraid.

chickenhead

Reaction score
'88 for me as well. Remember watching that first game against the Bengals with my family. My brother got to go to the Dallas MNF game, I believe. I went to two games that year: both wins against the Steelers and the Giants. The Steelers game was one of the dreaded afternoon games, and those black jerseys looked mighty uncomfortable for the visiting fans. Reminded me of the afternoon ASU-Nebraska game the year before when the Husker fans were huddled in the shade of the concourse because of the heat. The Giants game had a severe souvenir cup rainstorm. Haven't seen a game live in quite a while, and the last one was at the Meadowlands. Need to get out to UofP at some point, but those tickets have been getting harder to come by...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was born in 1986, and my dad spent the first two years of my life telling me that I had to pick one team and stick with them. Of course, he was a Redskins fan, so I was constantly decked out in Skins gear. But my dad was in the Air Force, and we spent a few months living in Tuscon, right around when the Cardinals came to town.

When he finally asked who my favorite team was, I could only name one team, being two years old and all. However, at that moment, a commercial for the brand new Phoenix Cardinals came on TV. I pointed them out, and remained an unwavering Cardinals fan for life.

I suffered through the final years of the Sun Devil Stadium days - I went to ASU just to be able to see the Cardinals in person. I used to walk to the games from my dorm, and even though I had three season tickets, I often sat in them all by my lonesome.

It's all worth it these days.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Season tix, every year since 88'.

One thing I miss the most.
-Being a teenager and bringing 5 friends to the game and getting them tickets outside SDS for 10 bucks each and formulating a plan for how we were going to escape with a football if a field goal or extra point missed the net! (SDS era fans will know what I'm talking about).

I think I have that beat. One year in the late 90's we escaped with one of the 12x12 feet white cardinals flags that they woud fly above the stadium. It was a game we one against the Cowboys and the security staff was at the field level. The flag still gets passed around between the 10 who were involved. I hang it in the game room, actually called the maker of the flag to get a replica and they told me they couldn't make one to sell to the public...oh well. It was quite a feat getting this out, we had a couple guys lower the flag from the pole, then run down, and pass it off to a couple of other guys, and they ran to the ramp and threw it down to us who walked out with it.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Been a Cards fan since or before 1988.. Say Yup Yup! I dont wanna hear from none yall that jump on in the past few years ya suckers.. You would get worked..

Does 1993 count?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1988 for me, gene stallings and SDS

Used to go to a sports bar here in Austin to watch the Cards. Only people there were me and my family and Gene Stallings daughter and her husband. Waitress said she made more in tips from us than from the 100 Browns fans who were there for the early games every week.

:D

Reaction score
I was initially attracted to the Cardinals during the mid-seventies when they were winning the NFC East division. I probably took a liking to them because they bettered the Cowboys! :D So, I have actually been a Cowboys hater longer than I have been a Cardinals fan.

Started paying closer attention to them when I moved back to AZ in '93, having left the same year the Cardinals came to the valley. I wasn't fully on board until the '98 season. Been pretty hardcore since then.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
yup yup 1988. Neil Lomax to Roy Green/JT Smith, good memories there.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Since 1967 and they played in their first Super Bowl on my birthday.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Since mid 70s. Thought I latched on to a good team with cool uniforms.