Saturday's ASU-LSU game switched to Tempe

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an amazing game, and it is hard to swallow a loss when a win over a top 5 team was within our grasp. But, I think to write the season off or call for Koetter's head is silly. (And, I don't even like Koetter very much.) If this game had been played under the original circumstances I don't think there was much of a chance ASU could've lost by less than a TD, much less win. I gotta give props to ASU's offensive line. They were tremendous. If they can build off this game, I actually think they can compete with USC.

After thinking about it a bit, it seems like it was destiny that LSU would win. I mean, two blocked kicks for TDs is rare, but each one took PERFECT bounces for the LSU player to run it in. I also think Doucet's TD was not a catch, but I agree that would've not been overturned. But, to make it look even that good was a bit of luck too. That's a low percentage play to say the least.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
clif said:
I put this loss squarely on his shoulders. I don't know any other coach in the country that would let a team get 2 blocked kicks against them for scores at home on national television.

I could see one, but not 2. There is no way I would try something so stupid as to roll my punter????

You're crazy to blame this on Koetter. That was a helluva game, and could have gone either way. You'll be hard pressed to find two teams that played as hard as these kids did tonight.

The only play that I wish we could take back was the 4th & 10 that LSU scored on. All night long, J Russell struggled when he had pressure. I would have brought the calvary, and forced him to get rid of the ball quick. Instead he had time, rolled out (which he's good at)... and the rest is history.

- Is ASU becoming Tight End U.? Jamal Lewis, Brent Miller, Burgeroff. Too bad Zach Miller is banged up.

- I think ASU has a CHANCE to run the table. Of course, USC will be tough... but the Devils gained some experience and now know they can play with the big boys.

Cal is feeling the injury bug, and I'm still not sold on their backup QB's.

- ASU better lock up Koetter. If not, I can see him landing an OC job in the NFL. Within 2 years, he would be a head coaching candidate. The guy is an offensive genious, and seems to relate to today's players really well.

Mojo

Veteran
Reaction score
Okay I do not think the season is over. First off they dont play Cal this year so they arent going to lose this year. I know its just post game venting, trust me I was at the game and it was hard to swollow. But if you are gonna write the season off after that game just stop following the Sun Devils all together

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't know we were in to moral victories. They HAD THE GAME IN THE BAG... if you want to be a top program you CAN'T LOSE games like these... that is my point. I am tired of mediocre football with low expectations. This is unacceptable. This was a nationally televised game that most people didn't think ASU had a shot in. This could have been a statement game, but we lose in dreadful way.

I am very impressed with the passing game, but had Lsu even caught half of the dropped passes tonight this game would have been completely different.

No one is giving up on the season, but what does it really matter if they go 9-2 or 8-3... you do realize they will end up in some irrelevant boring ass bowl game. You can't lose games like this and expect a top tier bowl game. Their schedule won't allow it.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like I'm not the only one who felt that way

Special Teams: Absolutely horrible. Exhibit A: The blocked field goal. Mario Stevenson took the block back, basically untouched, 55 yards for the score. Exhibit B: The blocked punt. What was Koetter trying to prove by going for a fake punt? Was he trying to show Les Miles that he could do it too? That doesn't fall on the punter or on the offensive line. That is all Koetter's fault. Koetter said he didn't want to kick it to Skyler Green, but seriously, I don't think Green would have returned it for a touchdown on the return. Exhibit C: LSU's fake punt attempt. They let the punter make a 12-yard pass for the first down. You just don't let that happen. Grade: F

cardsfan13

Reaction score
Man this defeat made me sick we wouldve easily won this game if it wasnt for our beavis and butthead like effort on special teams I mean two block kicks in one game wtf... Well I hope ASU has a good season the rest of the way but this could be a huge emotional loss for the Devils. :( FIRE THE SPECIAL TEMAS COACH NOW...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blocked punt. What was Koetter trying to prove by going for a fake punt? Was he trying to show Les Miles that he could do it too? That doesn't fall on the punter or on the offensive line. That is all Koetter's fault. Koetter said he didn't want to kick it to Skyler Green, but seriously, I don't think Green would have returned it for a touchdown on the return.

Okay, I thought that looked like a fake punt. The commentators kept saying that it was a designed rollout. My problem with this isn't necessarily that they tried to fake the fun at that point. It was just so poorly designed and executed. the blockers who were supposed to lead the way for the punter allowed the LSU linemen to come through without even being touched. In the punter compounded the problem by trying to kick the ball at the very last minute. The time had passed for that.

I couldn't find where Koetter said he was afraid to kick to Skyler Green. captain the article I just read he said that he felt like Sun Devils had to "try to create some plays". if the play had been better executed and successful everybody would be praising Dirk guts. However I'll give you that one. The fake punt and did not work and backfired in a big way, so it was a bad call.

LSU's fake punt conversion can't really be blamed on for the Sun Devils. It was incredibly gutsy call from the LSU sideline. They were in their own end of the field with long yards to go. Nobody in that stadium thought they would fake it, specially so early in the game.

Joe Mama

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don't think that was supposed to be a fake punt (I need to read Dirks comments in the paper). To me it looked like a designed rollout punt which, if I recall correctly, they used against Temple the week prior. The punter rolls out and kicks it on the run. To me it is a stupid play but whatever.

The problem doing it against LSU is their team speed is just too much, especially if the blocking scheme on the play breaks down, which to me it certainly did. Second, if Koetter was THAT scared to punt it to Green (which he should have been IMO), have your guy just kick it out of bounds. No fancy stuff...just line up and boot it out of bounds. When you are controlling the game like they were, you don't get fancy.

It was a fun game to watch no matter the outcome.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"On the punt, we were in a run-kick option. That's something we've been working on and we just had an assignment breakdown up front. That's one of those things where we had one guy who didn't turn back like he's supposed to and his man came clean and blocked the punt. If that one guy does what he's supposed to do Chris MacDonald might run for a first down or the other option was to kick it down in the right corner because we were trying to keep the ball out of Green's hands. There are going to be breakdowns in a game and some are much more costly than others. We did have two breakdowns in special teams that cost us. In those errors it was just a case where a blocker got beat by a rusher. A part of it is that you have to give the LSU players credit for making the plays. To make big plays against a team like LSU you've got to take some chances and you're never going to make big plays if you don't try them."

There's the entire quote about the fake punt. I have no problem with the call. It's the execution I have a problem with because they clearly screwed it up.

On a positive note, the offensive line did a fantastic job with pass protection. I think LSU only got to Keller once or twice and only pressured him a few times. the receivers were fantastic, in Keller did a great job moving the ball around.

Joe Mama

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I still don't think that was supposed to be a fake punt (I need to read Dirks comments in the paper). To me it looked like a designed rollout punt which, if I recall correctly, they used against Temple the week prior. The punter rolls out and kicks it on the run. To me it is a stupid play but whatever.

The answer to whether it was a fake or a rollout punt is.......both!

According to Koetter, the punter had the option to kick it or run it. An assignment was blown, and disaster struck.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
clif said:
I didn't know we were in to moral victories. They HAD THE GAME IN THE BAG... if you want to be a top program you CAN'T LOSE games like these... that is my point. I am tired of mediocre football with low expectations. This is unacceptable. This was a nationally televised game that most people didn't think ASU had a shot in. This could have been a statement game, but we lose in dreadful way.

I am very impressed with the passing game, but had Lsu even caught half of the dropped passes tonight this game would have been completely different.

No one is giving up on the season, but what does it really matter if they go 9-2 or 8-3... you do realize they will end up in some irrelevant boring ass bowl game. You can't lose games like this and expect a top tier bowl game. Their schedule won't allow it.

I was going to post something similar....but you basically nailed it. So Im just going to quote you.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I was going to post something similar....but you basically nailed it. So Im just going to quote you.

I don't think even the most die-hard fan thought it was realistic ASU could run the table. If they knock off USC, then they are still on their way to a great season.

I'm an ASU grad, and I see limitations as to how high the program to climb. Year after year, we count on junior college transfers to START. Elite programs have such great recruiting classes, they are never in that spot. To reach elite status, ASU needs a coach that can do it AND will stay. One reason I don't like Koetter is I don't trust him. I'd bet a dollar that if he got us to a BCS game he'd bail that year. Probably before the bowl game like Urban Meyer did to Utah.

HooverDam

Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
. To reach elite status, ASU needs a coach that can do it AND will stay. One reason I don't like Koetter is I don't trust him.

What gives you the idea he would leave? Thats one thing Ive always liked about Koetter, he seems like he wants to be at ASU. I mean ever since I heard the story about him driving by SDS one day and wanting to coach here, I got the idea that ASU was his ideal job. I mean, it could be all marketing/PR spin, but I'd hope its true.

ASU should have a lot of potential and be appealing to coaches. Its usually an above average program, a good coach could push it over the edge. Its a big state school (often the recipe for success) in a good location. Other than USC, (and recently Cal) there arent any super powers in the confrence to recruit against, etc etc. I think Koetter will probably take us 9-2 this year and we will go to the Holiday Bowl. Maybe next year w/ Keller as a senior, (and Leinhart in the NFL) the Devils can do somehting special.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
The answer to whether it was a fake or a rollout punt is.......both!

According to Koetter, the punter had the option to kick it or run it. An assignment was blown, and disaster struck.

Having had the chance to read all the quotes by Koetter about that punt play, I am more inclined now to really get after Koetter on that call. LSU is being outplayed and ASU is controlling the game (blocked FG notwithstanding). You simply don't get fancy at that point. You wnat to avoid Green? Fine. Have your punter kick it OB and get the D out there. That play was the momentum turner for LSU. The blocked FG was big but this stupid punt thing gave LSU all the energy.

Koetter screwed the pooch on that one and he can blame missed assignments all he wants but he made a horrible mistake on that call. In fact, I am not so sure Koetter may not have cost ASu a chance to maybe make a run at a national championship. After watching that LSU game, I am not so sure ASu couldn't run with USC at SDS.

HooverDam

Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
After watching that LSU game, I am not so sure ASu couldn't run with USC at SDS.

ASU played LSU stiff, but an LSU team thats got a few key injuries and is playing with some huge distractions is no USC. USC is phenomenel, out of this world good. Can they be beaten? Sure. But its more likely theyll beat themselves (if they stay healthy). I'd be happy if ASU came away w/ a loss of 7 points or less. Maybe if ASU really tears up the rest of its opponents and some other teams lose here and there, we can sneak into a big bowl game, but I think the bowl to resonably set our sights on is the Holiday Bowl.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
After watching that LSU game, I am not so sure ASu couldn't run with USC at SDS.
Why is that? USC is better than LSU offensively at every position. ASU could win but they're going to hope for a heatwave, injuries, or to score about 50 points because if ASU couldn't stop LSU when it counted I doubt they're going to be able to contain the Trojans.