San Diego Padres @ Arizona Diamondbacks Sep 3 - Sep 4, 2018

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Godley had it in the 1st ... lost it in the 2nd. 3-1 Padres with no one out. We should not be losing vs. this Padres pitcher.

BB just said that Godley looks restless on the mound. Just as with his inability to throw to bases, the problem seems to be in his head.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard to watch when you already know the outcome... since they scored in the first, they gave away the plot... Game over...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Another run for the Pods. Second HR by Reyes. 4-1 after 4.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And now we can’t field a routine ground ball to third base... The complete collapse is upon us...

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why was Godley taken out? He only had a 75 pitch count?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
LOL...Stop me if you’ve heard this before... 1 run and 2 hits in the first, and nothing since. The Padres are shutting us down now.

Still, it was a fun ride while it lasted... [emoji106]

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why was Godley taken out? He only had a 75 pitch count?
My response is . . .

He gave up four runs, was inconsistent, showed bad body english and was down by three runs. And was due to hit.

With D-backs hitters producing only two early hits. Lack of hitting puts pressure on the pitchers, too.

Torey Lovullo announced that he will have a short hook with all of his pitchers for the rest of the season.

From 'each starting pitcher will pitch seven innings' to a pre-announced short hook. All or nothing. Just like the hitters.

That has become prevalent this season. I wish it weren't the case, but it has become the D-backs identity.

P.S.: It is now 6-1 Padres in a game started by a winless Padres pitcher.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does TL think they are ahead by 7 games or something, or is he just throwing in the towel already? He's going through like 8 pitchers a game like he has the opportunity to give guys playing time. Makes zero sense and also is sitting players like AJ again.

Like 82 said, it was a fun ride. Glad it gave me some entertainment over the summer.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith, we are winning 5 of the next 6 and will be right back in the mix.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith, we are winning 5 of the next 6 and will be right back in the mix.

That would be cool but not getting my hopes up with how their batting has been going. It's reminding me May all over again.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And right on que... They start to finally hit and of course it's in the 8th. Just a little to late really.

AZ Native

Reaction score
That would be cool but not getting my hopes up with how their batting has been going. It's reminding me May all over again.
True, but May is over and if we do not have hope, we have nothing

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We are simply undermanned and overmatched... virtually at just about every position except for First Base, CF and maybe LF (when Perralta is in) and maybe Third Base...
But Marte and Ahmed are simply not good enough. Descalso is a great bench player but not a starter. Souza is a washout... a total bust. And though are catchers are very solid behind the plate, they are not even Triple A caliber with a bat in their hands.
Our pen, with the exception of Chafin, is a shambles. They were obviously very solid for half a season (kinda like Jake Lamb usually is), but when things got tense and the bullets starting whistling past their ears, they crumbled. Boxberger, Archie, Hirano, Bracho, MacFarland, Diekman Ziegler, etc, etc, etc... all not good enough.
But this is what we have in a market like ours, where $$ is always a big factor.

I would love to see this team somehow get hot and make it interesting down the stretch... but tonight suggests otherwise.
They faced a started tonight who has been getting BLOWN UP this season (Mitchell), and we could barely get a ball out of the infield...
I see a team that, in many respects exceeded expectations thus far this year, but is now both mentally and physically shot. Toast. As in burnt toast...

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
True, but May is over and if we do not have hope, we have nothing

They just can't get the bat's going and it's been like this the last 10 games. I don't see it changing. I have hope but it's very little.

AZ Native

Reaction score
They just can't get the bat's going and it's been like this the last 10 games. I don't see it changing. I have hope but it's very little.
This team is not going to continue produce 1-2 runs a game. It just won't. Have a little faith. It is going to get better.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This team is not going to continue produce 1-2 runs a game. It just won't. Have a little faith. It is going to get better.

Just to cite one example, tonight vs. San Diego, Ahmed hit two pop flies. A weak hitting shortstop pretending to be a home run hitter? There is no faith in that.

Guys like Peralta and Goldy and sometimes Souza and Escobar go for line drives, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

If where it has taken them has not changed the overall Diamondback mindset from stubbornly hitting it in the air, what will?

Talk about a team doing the same thing over and over and over and over and expecting different results. It is time to stop using tunnel vision.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

We are bottom in the league in nearly all offensive metrics, it’s entirely possible this continues to happen .