Today- Miller Vs Lauer
Friday- Godley Vs Lucchesi
Saturday- Ray Vs Ross
Sunday- Grienke Vs Richard

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Shelby falling apart again. Just put him in the bullpen and stop starting him. The offense isn't doing much to help him out either.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Shelby falling apart again. Just put him in the bullpen and stop starting him. The offense isn't doing much to help him out either.

How many times can the Dbacks throw away a game so Shelby Miller can rehab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
One less sports team for me to worry about come October.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How many times can the Dbacks throw away a game so Shelby Miller can rehab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelby didn’t look good...AGAIN. But, we scored a whopping 3 runs. Our offense is pitiful and we are losing games much more because of that than Miller and our other pitchers...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Shelby didn’t look good...AGAIN. But, we scored a whopping 3 runs. Our offense is pitiful and we are losing games much more because of that than Miller and our other pitchers...
True. But that is a reason why we can't depend on marginal starters. We have to maximize the 4-5 starting spots in the rotation. And Miller and Godley have shown that they are not the answer. Miller has not pitched well since arriving here. This is nothing new.

We are strong with Ray, Grienke and Corbin 1-2-3. And 7-8-9. We need to keep working on the rest.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True. But that is a reason why we can't depend on marginal starters. We have to maximize the 4-5 starting spots in the rotation. And Miller and Godley have shown that they are not the answer. Miller has not pitched well since arriving here. This is nothing new.

We are strong with Ray, Grienke and Corbin 1-2-3. And 7-8-9. We need to keep working on the rest.

It was only his 3rd start since returning from his TJ surgery. His team went 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position. He gave up 3 earned runs...
He pitched well enough to warrant another start in hopes he shows continued progress.
We lost strictly because our offense sucked yet again. Period.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It was only his 3rd start since returning from his TJ surgery. His team went 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position. He gave up 3 earned runs...
He pitched well enough to warrant another start in hopes he shows continued progress.
We lost strictly because our offense sucked yet again. Period.
During his first two years with the D-backs, Shelby Miller was 5-14 with a 5.78 ERA. Is that the progress you'd be satisfied with?

I am suggesting that he work his way back as a middle inning reliever for the rest of the season. Torey's categorizing him as "greatness" has no basis during his career as a starter. That is an insult to Grienke, Ray and Corbin.

Then let him compete for a starter's role in Spring Training. Unless we see otherwise, I expect that middle inning relief will be his ceiling.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
During his first two years with the D-backs, Shelby Miller was 5-14 with a 5.78 ERA. Is that the progress you'd be satisfied with?

I am suggesting that he work his way back as a middle inning reliever for the rest of the season. Torey's categorizing him as "greatness" has no basis during his career as a starter. That is an insult to Grienke, Ray and Corbin.

Then let him compete for a starter's role in Spring Training. Unless we see otherwise, I expect that middle inning relief will be his ceiling.

Tonight’s game is not the game to use for your argument...
If he gets blown up in his next start, sure, have at it. But he pitched well enough tonight all things considered... Save your argument for now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Our pitching gave up 6 runs. Which is worse? Giving up 6 or scoring 3?

No. Our pitching only gave up 4 earned runs. Of which, Miller gave up 3.
Against the Padres, it’s right to think that 4 runs allowed would still produce the win. So BY FAR, scoring a measly 3 runs against San Diego is far worse than allowing 4 earned runs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No. Our pitching only gave up 4 earned runs. Of which, Miller gave up 3.
Against the Padres, it’s right to think that 4 runs allowed would still produce the win. So BY FAR, scoring a measly 3 runs against San Diego is far worse than allowing 4 earned runs.
Why is it one or the other? On a good team, it is up to the offense to make up for bad pitching performances ... just as it is up to the pitching to make up for weak hitting games.

As far as earned runs vs. unearned, good pitchers step up despite errors, even if it means getting four outs in an inning. The only thing not under their control is if runs score directly on an error vs. being on base as the result of an error. There is a big difference.

I can't understand this defense of Miller. Since he joined us, his performance has been mediocre to poor. In his three seasons so far, his ERA was in the 6's, 4's (when he went down with Tommy John surgery) and now 9.00.

He was brought in to be our #2 starter behind Greinke on the basis of an ERA in the 3's when his record was 6-17. and has never fulfilled the #2 roll. Lovullo's reference to expecting greatness from Miller has no basis. It is covering up for a bad decision expecting him to be our #2 starter.

I say again, for his own good and the good of the team, Shelby Miller should be moved to middle inning relief to try to find his game. Coupled with Godley's inconsistent performances, two weak starter are ruining the effect of three very good ones. And we are dropping out of first place.

Correcting that is the obligation of the D-backs, rather than catering to a mediocre starting pitcher who is coming off injury and has not fulfilled his role since the day he arrived.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Why is it one or the other? On a good team, it is up to the offense to make up for bad pitching performances ... just as it is up to the pitching to make up for weak hitting games.

As far as earned runs vs. unearned, good pitchers step up despite errors, even if it means getting four outs in an inning. The only thing not under their control is if runs score directly on an error vs. being on base as the result of an error. There is a big difference.

I can't understand this defense of Miller. Since he joined us, his performance has been mediocre to poor. In his three seasons so far, his ERA was in the 6's, 4's (when he went down with Tommy John surgery) and now 9.00.

He was brought in to be our #2 starter behind Greinke on the basis of an ERA in the 3's when his record was 6-17. and has never fulfilled the #2 roll. Lovullo's reference to expecting greatness from Miller has no basis. It is covering up for a bad decision expecting him to be our #2 starter.

I say again, for his own good and the good of the team, Shelby Miller should be moved to middle inning relief to try to find his game. Coupled with Godley's inconsistent performances, two weak starter are ruining the effect of three very good ones. And we are dropping out of first place.

Correcting that is the obligation of the D-backs, rather than catering to a mediocre starting pitcher who is coming off injury and has not fulfilled his role since the day he arrived.

I am simply calling this situation for what it is. Miller has been a massive disappointment since he's been a Dback. However, prior to his TJ injury, he was showing improvement. And prior to joining the Dbacks, his three previous full seasons, his highest ERA was 3.74.
Now he's coming back from a devastating injury and you seem to believe he's supposed to be pitching at some type of level he hasn't yet his as a Dback?
In Patrick Corbin's first full season back from his TJ surgery, he went 5 & 13 with a 5.15 ERA. Rarely does any pitcher return from TJ surgery and instantly pitch at a high level.

When Miller left the game last night, he had allowed 3 runs thru 5 1/3rd. Is that horrendous?? Meanwhile, when he left the game, the Dbacks had a scored a whopping ONE run on a rookie...

Miller pitched well enough last night...He wasn't perfect by any stretch and the few mistakes he made, the Padres were able to capitalize with a HR and a triple. But his velocity was there and his curve ball was extremely sharp. He 100% deserves the chance to continue his way back from TJ surgery, as a starter.
The Dbacks loss last night is entirely on our putrid offense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am simply calling this situation for what it is. Miller has been a massive disappointment since he's been a Dback. However, prior to his TJ injury, he was showing improvement. And prior to joining the Dbacks, his three previous full seasons, his highest ERA was 3.74.
Now he's coming back from a devastating injury and you seem to believe he's supposed to be pitching at some type of level he hasn't yet his as a Dback?
In Patrick Corbin's first full season back from his TJ surgery, he went 5 & 13 with a 5.15 ERA. Rarely does any pitcher return from TJ surgery and instantly pitch at a high level.

When Miller left the game last night, he had allowed 3 runs thru 5 1/3rd. Is that horrendous?? Meanwhile, when he left the game, the Dbacks had a scored a whopping ONE run on a rookie...

Miller pitched well enough last night...He wasn't perfect by any stretch and the few mistakes he made, the Padres were able to capitalize with a HR and a triple. But his velocity was there and his curve ball was extremely sharp. He 100% deserves the chance to continue his way back from TJ surgery, as a starter.
The Dbacks loss last night is entirely on our putrid offense.
'Just one more observation. It should come down to who would be the best starting 5. I believe that when Clay Buccholz (whom we traded for recently), and his 2.56 ERA in 7 starts, comes back, he would be a more logical choice for a starting spot. Then it will come down to Miller vs. Godley for the #5 spot.

Which is less worse at this time? Or is there another candidate for #5 who is better than either? Choosing a "massive disappointment ... showing improvement" as you put it is not a playoff plan.

With Corbin probably signing with the Yankees next season, there will be room on the starting 5 for Miller to compete in Spring Training.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
'Just one more observation. It should come down to who would be the best starting 5. I believe that when Clay Buccholz (whom we traded for recently), and his 2.56 ERA in 7 starts, comes back, he would be a more logical choice for a starting spot. Then it will come down to Miller vs. Godley for the #5 spot.

Which is less worse at this time? Or is there another candidate for #5 who is better than either? Choosing a "massive disappointment ... showing improvement" as you put it is not a playoff plan.

With Corbin probably signing with the Yankees next season, there will be room on the starting 5 for Miller to compete in Spring Training.

Miller should have at least one more start before Buckholz is ready to pitch again... So we should have a better feel as to where Shelby truly is. I have said before that I believe Godley wouldn't be on most other MLB rotations... his plus 5 ERA and 1.6 WHIP are disgusting. And of course, we have no idea if, when Buckholz comes back, that he'll instantly pick up where he left off...
All that said, my hope is that Miller shows continued improvement and that Buckholz comes back strong...which means, at least to me, Godley is the odd man out.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second and third one out.

Goldy just missed an HR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson