Running Back

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Given the dilemma we have at RB I don’t think we chase Drake and the huge money he wants. I think we draft someone and let him run his a$$ off in hopes of earning his big contract. I just don’t think the position shapes up for successful long term contracts. The Leveon Bell situation is exactly why we find a mid round back who wants to prove himself.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would tend to agree but Drake was awfully explosive.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Most offensive guru's think their schemes make any player (who tries) better. Wonder if K2 is the same way.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, as much as I like Drake, is not wise paying big money for the position
I don't think Edmonds can be the back up
DJ is clearly out, they have to figure out something to avoid the cap hit
Zach moss is a player they can get later in the draft

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If they can dump DJ and the vast majority of his contract on some other team (Tampa Bay?), I’d would be ok taking a poo in Drake. Otherwise, I think we need to watch Drake walk and hope that either: DJ somehow finds himself, Edmonds steps up in a big way, or, we draft a great back... but at #8 and with a loaded WR class, I could Keim going with an edge pass rusher at #8 and trying to grab a game-changer WR in the 2nd round... Which means we wouldn’t be looking for a RB until the 3rd round at the earliest.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if we don’t find the right guy this offense takes a step backwards.

We also underestimate his yards after contact. We become so use to DJ meandering toward the line, bending over and falling down on contact we forgotten how a rb should run angry.

p.S. we should still draft a rb middle late rounds. The league has become a rb by committee and depth. The 49ers, Seahawks, Steelers, Patriots and others have done this for a while.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on Kliff's comments we'll probably try to keep Drake but I agree we can't go too high. Kliff said he's done 3 RB's before in college and was prepared to do it here but "Kenyan got hot and I rode the hot hand because it seemed silly not to." He said he was really impressed with how Drake played the way he worded it clearly implies he wants him back.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m of the opinion that you should never really spend big money on the RB position. Money needs to be spent on QB, OL , Pass rush/dL and WR/dB before a RB gets paid on most teams. Those positions determine the success of most of the others. We have way more needs than another high filler RB .

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic with Clemson's RB Travis Etienne if available in 2nd round ( which I highly doubt)