Rumor: Rich Rodriguez to be new Head Coach

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i wonder if any of the backup QB's on the roster consider transferring? not sure if any of them fit RichRod's offensive style.

I wonder if qb converted to wide receiver Richard Morrison would think about switching back to qb. I'm sure Rodriguez will be able to get a qb in this year's recruiting because he will have a very good chance at playing after his redshirt year.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if qb converted to wide receiver Richard Morrison would think about switching back to qb. I'm sure Rodriguez will be able to get a qb in this year's recruiting because he will have a very good chance at playing after his redshirt year.

good point, i forgot about him. any idea if he was any good coming out of high school as a qb? i don't recall much about him. either way, i think RichRod will be able to sign some good qb's. maybe a jc transfer?

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this, but one thing is for sure, he can't be worse than Mackovic, at least.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this, but one thing is for sure, he can't be worse than Mackovic, at least.

Cue ominous background music...close up on speaker...aaaaand cut to commercial.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Matt Scott. Good runner (although not as good as Denard or Pat White) but a better passer. I'm not worried about Rich Rod's offenses, it's the defense that worry me.

Since when does a Pac 12 team field a competent defense?

This ain't the wmidwest. Air it out and outscore your opponents! That is the recipe for the high-flying west coast!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think this is a great hire for UA - recruiting will be different, he's had a lot of success finding guys who didn't fit other systems that worked with what he did .... not as much competition as his style was really a standout in the areas he was coaching/recruiting

In the Pac12 there are other more prominent universities that also want to air it out and be "fun" - he may have to compete a little bit harder as someone who may be "his guy" could also be a guy for a few other programs

However, I see this as all upside - I wouldn't worry a minute about the defense .... I imagine it's going to be one that is predicated on taking risks, playing fast and playing hard ...... get the ball back to the offense and let them take the pressure off of you (again, not a bad fit for the conference)

I don't think this move make UA a world beater - but it's a big step to making them relevant

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
From a WVU fan and former Rich Rod fan.

Here is what you get:

Good offense. But is completly predicated on the read option so the QB has got to have some legs. RR failed at Michigan, in part, b/c he was playing Tate Forcier and some other kid who couldnt runt he ball.

Passing: WR screens and bubble screens. It will drive you mad at times but with the right athletes they can break out and scrore from anywhere on the field.

Running: Read option plays. A one cut, fast RB will do wonders in this offense. A quick running QB is a neccessity.

Defense: Forget about it. You will see that he will recruit 4 kids on offense to 1 on defense. He isnt interested in the defense and rarely does he practice it. Your DC is in a tough spot. RR will not allow over recruiting on defense and he has readily admitted scoring points wins games. WVU was so good under him becase they had the 2-time DC of the year in Jeff Casteel. (still at wvu) He made something out of nothing using the odd stack 3-3-5 defense. RR, when he went to Michigan, insisted they run that defense even though his DC hadnt run it before. Michigans defense was awful, and they still are only average after his departure. RR went through 2 DC's in 3 years at Michigan. He handcuffs them and you will get frustrated. No more 'Desert Swarm' .

Coaching - Stubborn as hell. When WVU lost the infamous 13-9 game to Pitt as the #2 team in the country, (while being 26 pt favorites) RR wouldnt deviate his game plan of read option, bubble screens, QB draws. I am not syaing thats what lost the game, but it was a large part of it. Whne he left for UM and WVU played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, Calvin Maghee (the OC who is now at Pitt) opened the play book, passed and play actioned and WVU kicked the crap out of OK 48-24.

Many players on wvu, after RR left, said that practice was more nejoyable now b/c they werent constantly being berratted and cursed out. Make no Mistake, RR is a screamer (No stoops sideline outburst type screamer, but a screamer) and he will dress a player or coach down in public w/o a second thought. At first you might like the change-of-pace, but when you see players scared to make a mistake and get tight on the field, it will become frustrating.

The guys from RR staff at WVU and UM that you will want to see RR bring with him b/c they are good assistant coaches are: Calvin Maghee-RR right hand man, but took a job at PItt once RR got fired. Not sure if he would join RR next year or not, but good offense mind, good with players, and knows how to semi-control RR. Doug Barwis -Strength and conditioning coach - yeller and screamer like RR but knows his stuff. Really transformed WVU and Michigan in terms of new strength and conditioning techniques.

Stay away from - Tony Gibson. I believe he went to Pitt too but he is RR's lackey and a terrible coach. He is a DB coach but usually is invloved in game planning and anything else RR wants him to do. He is a disaster and has had several complaints against him from WVU and Michigan players. Cant coach a lick.

Overall you should see RR flourish if you have any talent on the team offensivley. Defense will be maddening for you and who he gets as DC will be interesting. I agree he should do better at UA but I am concerned that he has zero west coast ties. If he brings in all his staff from the WVU and UM holdover days you might be introuble.

Good luck and get ready for a high-octane offense. He will make sure of that!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
For me it's his ability to hire a DC and some guys with West Coast connections that will determine his fate here. Good thing is he's coming relatively cheap for a guy with his resume.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think as a fan, this was about as good of a job as an AD can do, regardless of who was hired. Your new coach can get straight into hiring and recruiting and fans don't spend December spinning themselves into the ground talking hiring the ghost of Vince Lombardi only to be disappointed by X name coach that ends up with the job. It's easier to accept a coach before the rumor mill gets really cooking than it is to get your hopes up about someone else and not get it.

Two thumbs way up for the process down in Tucson.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think as a fan, this was about as good of a job as an AD can do, regardless of who was hired. Your new coach can get straight into hiring and recruiting and fans don't spend December spinning themselves into the ground talking hiring the ghost of Vince Lombardi only to be disappointed by X name coach that ends up with the job. It's easier to accept a coach before the rumor mill gets really cooking than it is to get your hopes up about someone else and not get it.

Two thumbs way up for the process down in Tucson.

Rodriguez said he is already calling the recruits. He said he will have assistants who are familiar with California and Texas but he is going to recruit all over. It will be interesting to see if he can get recruits from Florida to come out here.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Casteel will be coming to the UofA. An announcement could be made Monday. This would be a big hire for Rodriguez.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
$2 million for the assistants is a decent pool of cash. Could get some good coordinators w/ that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Looks like Casteel will be coming to the UofA. An announcement could be made Monday. This would be a big hire for Rodriguez.

One of the many reasons Rich Rod failed at Michigan was because he couldn't get coordinators like Casteel to follow him there, either because they didnt want to or Michigan blocked the idea.

Rich Rod and Casteel made up a formidable offensive/defensive combo at WVU. Now that I hear Casteel will be a Wildcat, I feel twice as confident about the hiring, as one of my chief reservations was attention to the defensive side of the ball.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I wonder if we should be worried that we don't have a defensive coordinator yet. I think tomorrow is Rich Rod's self-imposed deadline for completing his staff.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
The Casteel is just a rumor, nothing more. In Fact WVU has already offered him a contract extension. I dont know that Casteel and Holgerson get along so great, but Casteel and RR had their moments too.

At least you have that idiot Todd Graham at ASU now. That should asure you of some quality rivalry wins over the next few years.

Also, see post above, He is bringing Gibson with him. IM telling you that you are going to hate this guy and your secondary is going to be awful. ugghh

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Been listening, reading, and observing alot about Rich Rod the past few weeks including finishing Three and Out. The videos of him at La Paloma and in Phoenix were especially insightful. Guy just gets it.

I am ELATED he is our coach. Hes going to take us to that next level and competing for BCS games in 3 years. Hes got an AD who supports him and football and he is PERFECT for Tucson. Ann Arbor = Bad Match in so many different ways. He needs to be in a place where they don't expect greatness and see it as a birthright. Thats not UA football obviously and saying "aint" will endear him to Tucson, not make him a bad fit.

Team Rich Rod.

I am concerned about how in the book they mention the evolution of a program. Lose Big/Lose Close/Win Close/Win Big.

I think he has the parts to be successful next year but people shouldnt be jumping off cliffs if he goes 6-5 or something like that either.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Been listening, reading, and observing alot about Rich Rod the past few weeks including finishing Three and Out. The videos of him at La Paloma and in Phoenix were especially insightful. Guy just gets it.

I am ELATED he is our coach. Hes going to take us to that next level and competing for BCS games in 3 years. Hes got an AD who supports him and football and he is PERFECT for Tucson. Ann Arbor = Bad Match in so many different ways. He needs to be in a place where they don't expect greatness and see it as a birthright. Thats not UA football obviously and saying "aint" will endear him to Tucson, not make him a bad fit.

Team Rich Rod.

I am concerned about how in the book they mention the evolution of a program. Lose Big/Lose Close/Win Close/Win Big.

I think he has the parts to be successful next year but people shouldnt be jumping off cliffs if he goes 6-5 or something like that either.

This is UA you're talking about. Consistent 6-5 seasons will get a 30' Rich Rod statue erected out front of the stadium.

Also, EVERYONE says that it is vital that he find a competent DC... and I'm still looking for that news.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA