Rumor: Rich Rodriguez to be new Head Coach

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RT @BFeldmanCBS: Expect Rich Rodriguez to be named the next Arizona head coach in the next 48 hours according to sources.

HooverDam

Reaction score
If true, thats a great hire for you guys. Greg Byrne is a stud, you better give him a pay raise and keep him around long term.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this hire. Matt Scott will flourish under his system.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Don't like it...if it's true.

Por que? Obviously the struggles at Michigan are a concern, but it seems like UA needed to try to throw a hail mary pass and get a 'name' guy. Maybe with a guy like RichRod at the helm you energize the fan/donor base, slowly upgrade your subpar facilities, etc.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Michigan doesn't really worry me, that is his team that is on the verge of going 10-2 this year. That was a tough situation for him too considering everything RR goes about his gig about is a 180 from Lloyd Carr.

I'm most concerned how he can recruit out West.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm most concerned how he can recruit out West.

If thats your sole concern I think it should be a small one. Wait to see who he fills his staff out with as they'll do most of the recruiting anyway. If he gets a few quality assistants with West Coast ties he could easily have UA winning 8+ games a year.

EDIT: VV ahh hadn't heard that, that is a horse of a different color.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If thats your sole concern I think it should be a small one. Wait to see who he fills his staff out with as they'll do most of the recruiting anyway. If he gets a few quality assistants with West Coast ties he could easily have UA winning 8+ games a year.

Yeah except there's already reports that he's bringing most of his guys from UM and WVU. A good portion of the staff in place at UM right now are actually guys Rich Rod brought with him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
RichRod is a total douche... but, he can be a total douche if he wins. Woofley hates this guy for screwing over UWV, should be interesting to hear his take.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
maybe this is a smokescreen to mask the other smokescreen and we still get Bellotti?? hmmmmm... too many smokescreens.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know why people make such a big fuss regarding the violations because they were minor. This is a better hire than Bellotti would of been. If he was still at Michigan and winning like they are, no way would the UofA even have a shot sett him. I like this hire a lot.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'll hold off judgment until I see how he fills out his staff. There had better be some guys who know California or he's DOA.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I juat got a text alert of the news on my phobe from 620, and my first thought was somewhere mao is having an aneurysm... But so far seems to be taking it pretty well based on the way he has talked about richrod for a while now..

I was really worried about belotti, but richrod has upside that a lot of coaches dont have.. Risky? Absolutely, but assuming he can adequately recruit, he could be very good, and gor tucson, that is a homerun..

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I juat got a text alert of the news on my phobe from 620, and my first thought was somewhere mao is having an aneurysm... But so far seems to be taking it pretty well based on the way he has talked about richrod for a while now..

I was really worried about belotti, but richrod has upside that a lot of coaches dont have.. Risky? Absolutely, but assuming he can adequately recruit, he could be very good, and gor tucson, that is a homerun..

It might be a riskier hire than Bellotti but the reward is much higher. Matt Scott and Ka'Deem Carey are going to love his offense. It's similar to Oregon. I just hope he can bring in a good defensive coordinator. I'm sure Byrne will have some say in that. What I also like about the announcement now is he can get on the recruiting trail right now.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Looking at the depth chart it appears he has the personnel to win sooner than later unlike when he took over in Ann Arbor. Still want to see some West Coast recruiters on staff though before I endorse the hire. Lefty is right though, he does have a higher upside than Bellotti but obviously much riskier.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ted Miller on the hiring.
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/30206/its-official-rich-rodriguez-to-arizona

First take: good hire.

Don't be fooled by what happened at Michigan. That's a mirage. So much didn't fit there, and it's never good when the vibe on both ends is negative practically from the start. Know that Rodriguez will be plenty motivated to fix his coaching legacy. Recall that he was once one of the nation's hottest coaching prospects, one who was offered the Alabama job in 2006.

His no-huddle, spread-option attack also should work well at Arizona, though obviously it won't be much of a novelty in the Pac-12, since his version approximates what Oregon runs.

The timing is also very good. It means he can meet the current players, set expectations, get the lay of the land and quickly start recruiting. Other programs that will be looking for new coaches -- a couple likely in the Pac-12, too -- will be behind.

It will be interesting to see the mix of Rodriguez's staff. Will he mostly hire guys he's worked with? Will he want at least a couple of assistants who know the West Coast? Will he retain anybody from the current staff?

Furthermore, will Rodriguez be able to hit any recruiting home runs? He's playing catch-up, as all new coaches do, but he's got more than two months until national signing day on Feb. 1. There's no reason he can't sway a couple of touted prospects.

Arizona's portion of the Pac-12's new $3 billion TV deal also should help finance a contract that is certain to pay Rodriguez more than $2 million annually, as well as lure top assistants away from other high-paying gigs.

Rodriguez's career in Tucson begins with a Tweet. But how long before it gets roaring?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He should fit well in the PAC 12. His system was a bad fit in the more traditional BIG 10 and Michigan program.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Who is the quarterback next year? What is his style?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Matt Scott. Good runner (although not as good as Denard or Pat White) but a better passer. I'm not worried about Rich Rod's offenses, it's the defense that worry me.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I like the Byrne went for it all with this hire. He could of played it safe but knows UA football needs a serious jolt of energy. High risk but very high reward hire. Overall, I'm happy and excited to see the press conference tomorrow.

I hope he can get a QB in this year's class so he has someone post Matt Scott. Otherwise we will be looking at a true freshmen in 2013.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
i wonder if any of the backup QB's on the roster consider transferring? not sure if any of them fit RichRod's offensive style.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave