Rumor: Lakers Seeking Sign & Trade for CP3

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers rumored to be looking for a Sign and Trade for Chris Paul. Sorry if this was already posted. This reads more like the Lakers are fishing verses having a deal on the table but the Lakers are going to get a point guard this offseason. Sounds like they want Paul and he is high on their list.

I don't know if Paul is even interested but if LeBron calls? Anything is possible. The Lakers have a habit of making things happen to stack that team. I just don't know what the Suns could possibly get in return unless it involves a 3rd team. There is nothing on that Lakers roster that puts them over the top.

Bleacher Report -

Chris Paul Rumors: Lakers Eyeing Sign-and-Trade for Star After Suns' NBA Finals Run​

"According to sources, LeBron James and the Lakers have been on the hunt for veteran point guard, and Paul is on the list."

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lakers rumored to be looking for a Sign and Trade for Chris Paul.

"
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
"

I would like to think that the Suns wouldn't willingly explore this.

BUT IF CP3 forces this (and both LeBron James and Magic Johnson are putting on the full court press to convince him to do so, to the point I think the Lakers are tempering), we're screwed.

Short of the Lakers offering Anthony Davis, losing CP3 to the Lakers in any sign-and-trade reverts us back go the sorry state we were in two seasons ago.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to think that the Suns wouldn't willingly explore this.

BUT IF CP3 forces this (and both LeBron James and Magic Johnson are putting on the full court press to convince him to do so, to the point I think the Lakers are tempering), we're screwed.

Short of the Lakers offering Anthony Davis, losing CP3 to the Lakers in any sign-and-trade reverts us back go the sorry state we were in two seasons ago.
They may not have a choice if Paul says he is not returning and they want to get something in return. Having said that I think a 3rd team would have to be involved based on what is on the Lakers roster.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They may not have a choice if Paul says he is not returning and they want to get something in return. Having said that I think a 3rd team would have to be involved based on what is on the Lakers roster.

What third team would want the leftover garbage on the Lakers roster?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Highly doubt this manifsts to anything. Media needs to give Lakers attention

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If CP3 somehow forced this to happen, he’d instantly go from one of my favorite Suns ever to my most loathed.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The lakers can only offer the mid-level exception to CP 3 from what I have been reading from the interwebs. ehhhhhh

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The lakers can only offer the mid-level exception to CP 3 from what I have been reading from the interwebs. ehhhhhh

My fear is that with LeBron and Magic's convincing, CP3 forces the issue, and James Jones panics and sends CP3 to the Lakers for an overpaid signed-and-traded Dennis Schroeder, an overpaid signed-and-traded Talen Horton-Tucker, Kentavious Caldwell Pope and Kyle Kuzma.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Lakers are shotgun targeting PG's. They've also been rumored to have interest in bringing Lonzo back and now are supposedly looking into Russell Westbrook deal for Kuzma, Schroeder and Horton-Tucker.

I think Paul signs new deal here. If he wanted to go to LAL he would have forced his way last year from OKC rather than here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Lakers are shotgun targeting PG's. They've also been rumored to have interest in bringing Lonzo back and now are supposedly looking into Russell Westbrook deal for Kuzma, Schroeder and Horton-Tucker.

I think Paul signs new deal here. If he wanted to go to LAL he would have forced his way last year from OKC rather than here.
Isn't Schroeder a UFA? That means he can't be included in a trade -- even when signed and traded since you can't include other players in those deals.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't Schroeder a UFA? That means he can't be included in a trade -- even when signed and traded since you can't include other players in those deals.

I thought you could, but only if you had their Bird rights.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure why you reposted something that was already posted, but the article doesn't address it either. Isn't there a rule that you can't include other players in a trade involving a Free Agent who is being signed-and-traded? I admittedly might be thinking of another rule.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you reposted something that was already posted, but the article doesn't address it either. Isn't there a rule that you can't include other players in a trade involving a Free Agent who is being signed-and-traded? I admittedly might be thinking of another rule.

I think that’s for RFA’s? Might be wrong there though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually there are multiple rumors about Schoeder and S&T. You are confusing rule with "restricted" FA's cannot be traded after re-signing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me and my brother were laughing at this.

it’s just unrealistic anything the Lakers can put together. It takes nothing to be a sports writer.

why on earth would anyone take that package from the Lakers especially for an all star

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

it’s just unrealistic anything the Lakers can put together. It takes nothing to be a sports writer.

why on earth would anyone take that package from the Lakers especially for an all star

Sadly, it's not far off from Charles Barkley for Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Mark Bryant and Chucky Brown...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Also a raging hot rumor on every radio show on nba sxm yesterday and today

Strongstyle

Rookie
Reaction score
Honestly, just not giving him to the Lakers to improve their roster is more of a benefit than getting anything they would offer in return. Let CP3 walk if that's really how he feels. Lakers can't sign him outright.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Honestly, just not giving him to the Lakers to improve their roster is more of a benefit than getting anything they would offer in return. Let CP3 walk if that's really how he feels. Lakers can't sign him outright.

CP3 doesn't really need the money from the contract. The Lakers could sign him if he were willing to sign for the MLE. It might seem crazy to walk away from approximately $33 million, but LeBron could more than make that up for him in marketing/merchandizing deals, plus CP3 would get to stay home and play with his best friend, and the reality is that he would have a better shot at a championship playing beside LeBron and AD than he would playing beside Booker and Ayton. I am concerned. Very concerned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose