Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How are all these other teams manufacturing max space and we . . . don’t.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
How are all these other teams manufacturing max space and we . . . don’t.
Look at their front offices and then look at ours. Lol

Also, you gotta be a team players WANT to go to. We haven’t been that for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am happy with this signing. I think it's a slight overpay, but when you are a crappy team, you have to overpay a little. There are three big boxes with a point guard, especially if Booker is your SG. He should be able to defend, shoot, and facilitate. Rubio is an excellent facilitator, very good defender, and a slightly bellow average shooter (similar shooter to Eric Bledsoe.) Guys who check all three boxes are expensive and not available to crappy teams. These are your Jrue Holidays of the NBA. Outside of them...you have to pick and choose. Even with Russell, you only get two boxes. Brogdon... outstanding defender, an amazing shooter, but not sure if he is a good facilitator.

Suns got a point guard who can do two of three things extremely well, and one slightly below average. He is a legitimate NBA player and a legitimate point guard. Right now, they have everything they had last year, plus Rubio, and Jerome.

They are vastly improved at PG spot, same at 2, 3, and 5, and slightly better at 4.
Rubio, Johnson, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Saric, Ayton, Baynes are all legitimate NBA players. That's eight deep right there. Theoretically, the two rookies should be able to contribute a bit off the bench, and I am guessing they'll add another cheap defensive PF. Melton, Okobo, and JJ probably also belong on an NBA roster but as second and third string players. This is a legitimate NBA team now. They are no longer a G-League team.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am happy with this signing. I think it's a slight overpay, but when you are a crappy team, you have to overpay a little. There are three big boxes with a point guard, especially if Booker is your SG. He should be able to defend, shoot, and facilitate. Rubio is an excellent facilitator, very good defender, and a slightly bellow average shooter (similar shooter to Eric Bledsoe.) Guys who check all three boxes are expensive and not available to crappy teams. These are your Jrue Holidays of the NBA. Outside of them...you have to pick and choose. Even with Russell, you only get two boxes. Brogdon... outstanding defender, an amazing shooter, but not sure if he is a good facilitator.

Suns got a point guard who can do two of three things extremely well, and one slightly below average. He is a legitimate NBA player and a legitimate point guard. Right now, they have everything they had last year, plus Rubio, and Jerome.

They are vastly improved at PG spot, same at 2, 3, and 5, and slightly better at 4.
Rubio, Johnson, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Saric, Ayton, Baynes are all legitimate NBA players. That's eight deep right there. Theoretically, the two rookies should be able to contribute a bit off the bench, and I am guessing they'll add another cheap defensive PF. Melton, Okobo, and JJ probably also belong on an NBA roster but as second and third string players. This is a legitimate NBA team now. They are no longer a G-League team.
Any chance they still might add Holmes and play him alongside with Ayton more?? They would have to move JJ, mtl. Please. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any chance they still might add Holmes and play him alongside with Ayton more?? They would have to move JJ, mtl. Please. :D
We can add Holmes for the minimum. Do we have the room exception available to us still?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Bobby Marks says the Suns need to clear about $2.6 in salary to accommodate the Rubio signing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The four pg skills are pass, dribble, shoot, defend. Rubio does three of the four well.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
In order to sign Rubio and not renounce Oubre, the Suns have to:

1. Stretch & waive of either TJ (save $13mil) or JJ ($4mil).

Or

2. Renounce Holmes and trade/release both Melton and Okobo.

Outside of all that, the Suns will have the $4.8mil exception that they can use to sign other players. Holmes is not worth that.

If the Suns play this like I think they should....stretch & waive TJ. That would give them $13mil cap - $2.6mil for Rubio. That leaves $10mil for a PF...i.e. RFA Kleber.

Resigning of Oubre to me would be priority after getting the cap space for Rubio.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or

Outside of all that, the Suns will have the $4.8mil exception that they can use to sign other players. Holmes is not worth that.

If the Suns play this like I think they should....stretch & waive TJ. That would give them $13mil cap - $2.6mil for Rubio. That leaves $10mil for a PF...i.e. RFA Kleber.

Resigning of Oubre to me would be priority after getting the cap space for Rubio.

The Suns should have a plan in place to keep Oubre before they sign Rubio. Oubre can sign last but they need to get it done.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
The Suns should have a plan in place to keep Oubre before they sign Rubio.

I'm sure they have the framework of an Oubre deal together and just weighing their options as far as trades, stretch & waive and Holmes renouncement.

Oubre is too big a part of the culture change in Phx to renounce and let go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they have the framework of an Oubre deal together and just weighing their options as far as trades, stretch & waive and Holmes renouncement.

Oubre is too big a part of the culture change in Phx to renounce and let go.

I guess Gambo using the word "hope" in his recent tweet set me back a bit.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I saw that Holmes was getting interest from Chicago, Bucks, Lakers, and a few other teams. He's not signing for the minimum. Regardless of Holmes coming back or not, Baynes is better than Holmes. He was the best defensive big on Boston's team last year and he can also stretch the floor. He may be used with Ayton some, situationally, but it won't be often.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-bucks-bulls-interested-richaun-holmes/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Gambo using the word "hope" in his recent tweet set me back a bit.

I feel pretty good about Oubre staying. He keeps saying "shhhh" on twitter and pinned a video of him raving about the team. I think they've got something worked out.

Also, a lot of money has been blown already, the only team with cap space left that I can see making him a crazy offer is Atlanta.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel pretty good about Oubre staying. He keeps saying "shhhh" on twitter and pinned a video of him raving about the team. I think they've got something worked out.

Also, a lot of money has been blown already, the only team with cap space left that I can see making him a crazy offer is Atlanta.

yeah... maybe he's saying "shhh" as a kind of wink to the fact that his deal is already done but can't announced until after Rubio signs due to cap rules. at least that's what I'm hoping.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I don't even want to think about Oubre going elsewhere when the Suns only significant signing is Rubio.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Or

The Suns will not stretch and waive Tyler Johnson to create $2 million in space. Monty really likes Tyler. I know he's everyone's favorite move to create cap space but we shouldn't be so quick to tie up $6 million in cap space for the next 2 offseasons. All of that for what, exactly? There is no one we have to make room for. I know we need to clear a little room for Rubio but we'll probably be dumping Melton and Okobo here soon and we'll be fine.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bobby Marks says the Suns need to clear about $2.6 in salary to accommodate the Rubio signing.

How much does he know? If we backload Rubio's contract instead of taking the $51m divided by 4, we could easily fit him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much does he know? If we backload Rubio's contract instead of taking the $51m divided by 4, we could easily fit him.

I'm pretty sure players can only have 8% annual increases unless they are coming off a rookie deal. The only players I've seen have a back loaded contract were RFA's coming off of their rookie deal. I believe it's called the poison pill provision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave