Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Uh as much as many of us (myself included) thought Nash wasn’t a smart signing he was MUCH better player then than Rubio is now. And thus even acknowledging it was pre-MVSteve. That’s frankly a horrible comparison imo.
Geez, READING COMPREHENSION!!

i'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing the fact that you wanted a "franchise-changing" move and didn't get one. Nash at the time wasn't a "franchise-changing" move, even though it ended up being that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's been said in a lot of different ways but he Suns are vastly improved at point guard from the start of last season.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Just spoke with a top NBA executive from another team who told me the Suns with Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome have drastically improved the PG position. Not to look at it as one player but as a position. Last year they started with Canaan, Melton and Okobo.

4:11 PM - 30 Jun 2019
To be fair, they were starting from virtually negative territory. Hard not to be vastly improved.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, they were starting from virtually negative territory. Hard not to be vastly improved.

It's true.

So much better to have several players who can play point guard than none.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What did you expect? Russell?

As I have said previously

Russell, Brogdon, Beverley, Collison, Rose, and Santoransky

Those were the only ones worth signing that were enough of an improvement over Tyler Johnson to justify their signing.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

i'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing the fact that you wanted a "franchise-changing" move and didn't get one. Nash at the time wasn't a "franchise-changing" move, even though it ended up being that.

You're implying Rubio could be a "franchise changing" move.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Chap that’s ridiculous. If we signed a g leaguer you could say the same thing.

Players’ talent is along a continuum. The greater the talent along the continuum, the greater the likelihood of change. I didn’t think Nash was a franchise changing signing but he was certainly a signing that had a higher opportunity for that than is the Rubio signing. Hence it’s an awful comparison you’re trying to make.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rozier is not as good as Rubio.

Well - not quite.

But - he actually has potential to improve.

Rubio is only going to get worse.

Rozier is young had bot the best season but has tons of potential, Rubio cant hit a 3 and is only going to get worse, Booker going to face doubles with Rubios shooting and he will only get worse. Would have preferred a young guy to with the other young guys.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're implying Rubio could be a "franchise changing" move.
No not at all. Unbelievable.

I'm only saying that a "franchise changing" move does not need to be a fancy high-priced free agent. Not saying Rubio is that move or not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap that’s ridiculous. If we signed a g leaguer you could say the same thing.

Players’ talent is along a continuum. The greater the talent along the continuum, the greater the likelihood of change. I didn’t think Nash was a franchise changing signing but he was certainly a signing that had a higher opportunity for that than is the Rubio signing. Hence it’s an awful comparison you’re trying to make.

No it's not. You are so overwhelmingly negative about everything that has been done that you haven't been able (or willing) to see what is going on. Team building. That's it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rozier is young had bot the best season but has tons of potential, Rubio cant hit a 3 and is only going to get worse, Booker going to face doubles with Rubios shooting and he will only get worse. Would have preferred a young guy to with the other young guys.

Rubio is 28 and will be turning 29 right before the season starts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rozier, outside of a couple weeks in the playoffs in 2018, has been flat out lousy.

Oh... and he's a cancer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No point in arguing about this any more. Just watch. RealGm leagewide poll is almost 70% positive on this signing and the negs are more about money than fit.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No not at all. Unbelievable.

I'm only saying that a "franchise changing" move does not need to be a fancy high-priced free agent. Not saying Rubio is that move or not.

Looking back at the context of your posts, I see what you're saying now. Yes, anything can happen, but unless Cam Johnson or Jerome hit, I highly doubt any of the moves made this summer will be franchise changing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And they had to give up a 1st for that chance. The Suns aren't a playoff team right now so trading a 1st on the chance someone like Brogdon makes them a playoff team in the West is a steep price, especially when you need to pay him $22 million a year on top of parting with that 1st round pick, which is a likely lottery pick. How good of a playmaker is Brogdon anyways? I like Brogdon for his shooting and defense but he's not a playmaker, Rubio is, and that's what this team needs.

Brogdon is about as efficient a player that exists. You want to look for the next potential Nash - he is the guy.

I would happily give up 2 firsts for him. 22 million a year is an incredible bargain compared to Rubio and Rozier's deals.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking back at the context of your posts, I see what you're saying now. Yes, anything can happen, but unless Cam Johnson or Jerome hit, I highly doubt any of the moves made this summer will be franchise changing.
Putting the right players around Booker, Ayton, and Oubre is franchise changing. Look at the shooting defense and toughness we added.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
Brogdon is about as efficient a player that exists. You want to look for the next potential Nash - he is the guy.

I would happily give up 2 firsts for him. 22 million a year is an incredible bargain compared to Rubio and Rozier's deals.
Yep he shot 50/40/90 last year. Only the 8th player ever to do so. In a bigger role with the Pacers I think he is gonna be a star.

So typical that instead of trying to get a player like that the suns sign Rubio. Sigh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Putting the right players around Booker, Ayton, and Oubre is franchise changing. Look at the shooting defense and toughness we added.
Anything can happen. Monty Williams may have been a franchise-changing hire. Point is, we don't know yet.

We've swung for the fences for that franchise-changing move several times (Eric Gordon and Lamarcus Aldridge are the easiest examples), maybe it's time for something different. Because what we were doing before wasn't working.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. I would have loved to have Brogdon for that too, but it was not just a trade, Brogdon was a FA and had to willingly sign here. It might not have been our choice or option.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Rubio didn’t hurt Mitchell at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep he shot 50/40/90 last year. Only the 8th player ever to do so. In a bigger role with the Pacers I think he is gonna be a star.

So typical that instead of trying to get a player like that the suns sign Rubio. Sigh.
So, since you have Brogdon on speed dial, did he let you know that he would have signed with the Suns if they had called?

It takes two to tango. And surprise, surprise, Brogdon stay in the east and goes to a playoff team. Gee, the Suns would have been SO much better!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave