Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Next season is going to be better. James Jones has to be given some credit trying to get the roster to a traditional roster where guys don't have to play up out of their spots all the time.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone notice Utah is going to be REAL tough this year!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Next season is going to be better. James Jones has to be given some credit trying to get the roster to a traditional roster where guys don't have to play up out of their spots all the time.

Well, except at the 4...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.7 assists, and 1.9 steals.

He is a better passing Melton.

I'm sorry he is not worth anywhere near 17 million a year.

Look what Terry Rozier got and other players are getting, $17 million doesn't buy what it used to in the NBA. Hell, Damian Lillard is closing in on an extension that will pay him $50+ million a year! The money being handed out is crazy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Canaan
Booker
Ariza
Anderson
Ayton

vs

Rubio
Booker
Oubre
Saric
Ayton

Not even close folks.

That is not a fair comparison

The season ended with

Johnson
Booker
Bridges
Oubre
Ayton

The new lineup is barely improved.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look what Terry Rozier got and other players are getting, $17 million doesn't buy what it used to in the NBA. Hell, Damian Lillard is closing in on an extension that will pay him $50+ million a year! The money being handed out is crazy.

I am aware.

Tyler Johnson is 90% as good as Rubio

Signing Rubio is a bad use of cap resources.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Meh we were sold “wait until next summer!” Last year. And while improved, not a single exciting, big time franchise move. Another offseason like this one will be considered treading water. The worst place in the nba imo. Perma-mediocrity.
Steve Nash wasn't considered a huge franchise-changing move, yet it happened.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What player making $12 million a year or more isn't overpaid? I mean, with the exception of a few (and we know who they are and they can be counted on no more than 10 fingers), the NBA has gone haywire... $35 Million a year for Kyrie??? $18 Million for Rozier?? And on and on and on...
Rubio is the best PG this team has seen since Goran...and, a case can be made that he's just as good, if not better than Goran.

IMHO, it was foolish to think that the Suns had a shot at D-Lo... And with what was realistically in the cards for the Suns, Rubio is arguably the best fit.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
Nash was a two time all star and a great passer/shooter on several really great Mavs teams before going to Phoenix. Rubio doesn't belong in the same sentence as Nash.

fatosber

Veteran
Reaction score
This was the Suns point guard rotation last season.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Last season, the Suns' point guard rotation at the beginning of last season was Isaiah Canaan, Jamal Crawford, Elie Okobo and De'Anthony Melton. This season, the Suns' point guard rotation will be Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome. That's an upgrade.

3:49 PM - 30 Jun 2019

Absolutely. Rubio is a decent defender and an elite level passer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That is not a fair comparison

The season ended with

Johnson
Booker
Bridges
Oubre
Ayton

The new lineup is barely improved.
Barely improved? You're talking about Oubre as PF! The players we're getting aren't sexy, that's for sure, but we are seeing a master class in team building. If it works, great. But the attempt is being made, and it's better than almost anything we've done for 10 years.

If you are expecting a shoot-for-the-moon (expecting, not hoping), then you have hitched your horse to the wrong wagon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been said in a lot of different ways but he Suns are vastly improved at point guard from the start of last season.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Just spoke with a top NBA executive from another team who told me the Suns with Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome have drastically improved the PG position. Not to look at it as one player but as a position. Last year they started with Canaan, Melton and Okobo.

4:11 PM - 30 Jun 2019

Fenkin

Reaction score
Nash was a two time all star and a great passer/shooter on several really great Mavs teams before going to Phoenix. Rubio doesn't belong in the same sentence as Nash.

+ He can't shoot like Nash. At least we have a better team than last season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Uh as much as many of us (myself included) thought Nash wasn’t a smart signing he was MUCH better player then than Rubio is now. And thus even acknowledging it was pre-MVSteve. That’s frankly a horrible comparison imo.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
So glad you missed the point.
Fair Enough. You seemed to imply that its possible that Rubio could have some major impact on the team like Nash did. He will not because even the Mavericks version of Nash was light years better than Rubio.