Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously Rubio is the guy that increases others shot attempts and Butler is the complete opposite.

One thing about Rubio is that he needs pick&pop bigs that can set a screen and pop behind the arc for a 3. That particular move creates space for Rubio to drive or creates an open 3 if the defense doesn't close out on the big. Saric, Frank and to lesser extent Ayton and Baynes are good fits, Much better than the bigs Utah had.
Theoretically, this group looks like it should work together. Rubio, kaminsky, Saric, and maybe even Baynes are all in better situations than they were last year.

But they have to actually play games to see.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Isn’t KAT a free agent next year or did he sign a exstention?

Never mind he signed a Supermax last summer

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn’t KAT a free agent next year or did he sign a exstention?

Never mind he signed a Supermax last summer
What we need is for things to go sideways in Lakerland. AD hits free agency and we have the space to sign him. Booker uses the Kentucky connection to reel him in.

Forgot. This isn’t the bizarro thread.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It would be hilarious if Davis has the same kind of experience in LA with Lebron (and his ego) that Dwight Howard had with Kobe and decides to bail in a year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be hilarious if Davis has the same kind of experience in LA with Lebron (and his ego) that Dwight Howard had with Kobe and decides to bail in a year.

Dwight Howard did not fit with D'Antoni's style of play in Los Angeles. Anthony Davis is a more rounded player.

I see your point about egos getting in the way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Theoretically, this group looks like it should work together. Rubio, kaminsky, Saric, and maybe even Baynes are all in better situations than they were last year.

I can’t even begin to imagine understanding this post. They all went to the second worst team in the nba. Unless they came from the knicks they literally couldn’t be in better situations than they were last year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t even begin to imagine understanding this post. They all went to the second worst team in the nba. Unless they came from the knicks they literally couldn’t be in better situations than they were last year.
OK.
1. The offense in Utah was not a fit for Rubio. That offense, the same Igor ran here, does not really use a traditional pg. It required Rubio to shoot off screens which obviously is not his forte. He is better as a traditional pg creating int he open court.

2. Charlotte wanted Kaminsky to be a center, he has historically done better as a pf. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article219848670.html

3 Saric clearly did not like his fit with the personnel in Minny.
Dario Saric on his trade to @suns: - I'm not sad about it, I'm actually happy, because I don't feel like I got a fair shot in Minnesota. I'm really expecting that now in Phoenix & overall I'm satisfied.

Not talking about how bad the team was/is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK.
1. The offense in Utah was not a fit for Rubio. That offense, the same Igor ran here, does not really use a traditional pg. It required Rubio to shoot off screens which obviously is not his forte. He is better as a traditional pg creating int he open court.

2. Charlotte wanted Kaminsky to be a center, he has historically done better as a pf. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article219848670.html

3 Saric clearly did not like his fit with the personnel in Minny.
Dario Saric on his trade to @suns: - I'm not sad about it, I'm actually happy, because I don't feel like I got a fair shot in Minnesota. I'm really expecting that now in Phoenix & overall I'm satisfied.

Not talking about how bad the team was/is.
Eh I think post move everyone looks at things optimistically by nature.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's all in Monty William's hands now. The only way this team becomes competitive at all with the talent that is in the western Conference, is that they must play as a team. This has to become a San Antonio situation where ball play as a team is superior to the other team. Let's see what our new coaching staff can do!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's all in Monty William's hands now. The only way this team becomes competitive at all with the talent that is in the western Conference, is that they must play as a team. This has to become a San Antonio situation where ball play as a team is superior to the other team. Let's see what our new coaching staff can do!

The makeup of the team feels a lot better than one year
ago, the end of last season or a couple of months ago.
Or for a lot of the past decade.

The stronger the foundation, the better the potential.

And the big plus. Sarver has finally let the Front Office
do its job.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If Oubre comes back then Rubio is pretty much in the same situation as Utah. If Bridges is the SF he’s more in the situation he was in Minnesota with more responsibility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Oubre comes back then Rubio is pretty much in the same situation as Utah. If Bridges is the SF he’s more in the situation he was in Minnesota with more responsibility.

How do you figure?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
How do you figure?[/QUOTE

Maybe I’m expecting Mikal is become an elite shooter too soon but Rubio’s skills are best maximized setting up Ayton and being surrounded with shooters. He’s already not the best fit with Book but the less guys that need the ball the better for Rubio and the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe I’m expecting Mikal is become an elite shooter too soon but Rubio’s skills are best maximized setting up Ayton and being surrounded with shooters. He’s already not the best fit with Book but the less guys that need the ball the better for Rubio and the team.

I don't get why you think he's not a good fit with Booker. He worked fine with Donovan Mitchell. Mitchell penetrates more than Booker and Booker is a better 3pt shooter than Mitchell. I know percentages may say Mitchell shot better from 3 than Booker last year but that was with Booker being forced to handle the full load offensively as far as creating for others and himself while dealing with a busted hand for the first half of the season. When he has someone kicking it out to him again, his 3pt % will increase. He shot 38% from 3 in 2017-18 season and I'd be willing to wager he shoots the same or better with Rubio setting him.

Rubio will have more players to set up than he has anywhere else. In Utah he had Favors and Gobert inside, which clogged things up, he'll have Ayton and Saric in Phoenix. He'll have Booker and Oubre/Bridges here also, which is comparable to Mitchell and Ingles but Booker > Mitchell however Ingles is a better shooter than either Oubre or Bridges. In Minnesota he had Wiggins, Towns, LaVine, and Dieng starting with him. So Towns was playing PF, Dieng can't shoot, Wiggins sucks, and LaVine isn't a good shooter either. I think Rubio could very well have a career year if Monty lets him run a wide open offense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't get why you think he's not a good fit with Booker. He worked fine with Donovan Mitchell. Mitchell penetrates more than Booker and Booker is a better 3pt shooter than Mitchell. I know percentages may say Mitchell shot better from 3 than Booker last year but that was with Booker being forced to handle the full load offensively as far as creating for others and himself while dealing with a busted hand for the first half of the season. When he has someone kicking it out to him again, his 3pt % will increase. He shot 38% from 3 in 2017-18 season and I'd be willing to wager he shoots the same or better with Rubio setting him.

Rubio will have more players to set up than he has anywhere else. In Utah he had Favors and Gobert inside, which clogged things up, he'll have Ayton and Saric in Phoenix. He'll have Booker and Oubre/Bridges here also, which is comparable to Mitchell and Ingles but Booker > Mitchell however Ingles is a better shooter than either Oubre or Bridges. In Minnesota he had Wiggins, Towns, LaVine, and Dieng starting with him. So Towns was playing PF, Dieng can't shoot, Wiggins sucks, and LaVine isn't a good shooter either. I think Rubio could very well have a career year if Monty lets him run a wide open offense.

Rubio’s issue in Utah is he didn’t take much pressure off Mitchell as Mitchell’s role grew. Conley is a better fit for them because you have to account for him off the ball. That said despite Rubio’s limitations I’m pretty sure everyone will love him including Booker based on being a legit NBA PG.

I do think Booker is better than Mitchell too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio’s issue in Utah is he didn’t take much pressure off Mitchell as Mitchell’s role grew. Conley is a better fit for them because you have to account for him off the ball. That said despite Rubio’s limitations I’m pretty sure everyone will love him including Booker based on being a legit NBA PG.

I do think Booker is better than Mitchell too.

I'd agree with that being an issue for him in Utah but I'll also add that he wasn't given enough time on some possessions also. They tried running a weird system in Utah with him. They'd usually keep Favors or Gobert in the high post to stay out of the lane for Mitchell who would try to create something for himself, Ingles, or the other big not on the high post and if he couldn't, he'd kick to Rubio with 10 seconds or so in the shot clock who would run a quick P&R with that big on the high post and try to do something in a very limited amount of time. It took them a while to get that down in that first year, which is why they struggled out of the gate. They were 19-28 before going on an 11 game win streak in late January through February that turned their season around completely.

In that second year they changed things up and basically ran more of a 2 PG set, not too different than what Bledsoe and Dragic ran here and it never worked that well since Rubio wasn't a threat to score like Mitchell so defenses would sag off of him some and by then Mitchell was facing regular doubles, that he thought he could beat somehow also. Utah was figured out and they didn't have Igor to do something new for them. With all of the international players in Utah, and Quinn Snyder handling the defense and rotations, Igor was in an ideal position there just creating an offense using the talent they had. He had squat here and Rubio was effected the most Igor's absence in Utah.

I watched a lot of Utah early in this season and some game film that I could find on Youtube of the 2017-18 season because I wanted to know what to expect with Igor and also because I thought the Suns should target Rubio to come here for Igor. Of course Igor was canned but I still like acquiring Rubio. I think we'll see a better version of him than what he was in Utah because he won't be running a gimmicked offense. I'm curious how Monty's offense will look but I think we'll run a more open offense, similar to what New Orleans ran under Monty.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Adding Rubio & Saric to Ayton & Booker is like telling the jewel thief that the vault is open, the cameras don't work, and the door is unlocked.

Bridges could be the second coming of Kawai & Bowen and we would still give up 110 to 120 a night.

Tons of empty stats continue to be had for players on this squad..... we wont be above the bottom 5 to 7 anytime soon.

I see 20 to 30 wins as our continued ceiling. Which leads to my next point: Booker will not be on this team when his contract expires. He's gone in probably 18 to 20 months IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Adding Rubio & Saric to Ayton & Booker is like telling the jewel thief that the vault is open, the cameras don't work, and the door is unlocked.

Bridges could be the second coming of Kawai & Bowen and we would still give up 110 to 120 a night.

Tons of empty stats continue to be had for players on this squad..... we wont be above the bottom 5 to 7 anytime soon.

I see 20 to 30 wins as our continued ceiling. Which leads to my next point: Booker will not be on this team when his contract expires. He's gone in probably 18 to 20 months IMO.
How does Rubio factor into that? Rubio is a good defender. Oubre needs to be good at his position and Ayton needs to take a step forwards as a rim protector.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who wants to bet jones just smoothed the way for Korver to join the LeBrons?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who wants to bet jones just smoothed the way for Korver to join the LeBrons?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson