Roster size

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year the Suns carried 13 players for the majority of the season and picked up a 14th, Dwayne Jones after Lopez went down.

1. Nash 2. Richardson 3. Hill 4. Stoudemire 5. Lopez 6. Frye 7. Dudley 8. Barbosa 9. Dragic 10. Amundson 11. Collins 12. Clark 13. Griffin 14. Jones

According to reports the Suns will sign a back-up center as insurance in case Lopez goes down and Lawal is a lock to make the roster which brings us to 13 players already without taking into account Reynolds, Collins, and possibly Janning. Now that the Suns are safely under the luxury tax threshold, will Sarver be inclined to carry 15 players? It would be nice to have Lawal, Reynolds, and Collins on a steady D-league rotation.

1. Nash 2. Richardson 3. Hill 4. Turkoglu 5. Lopez 6. Frye 7. Dudley 8. Childress 9. Dragic 10. Warrick 11. Back-up center 12. Clark 13. Lawal 14. Reynolds? 15. Collins?

Oh and if Griffin is brought back instead of Reynolds of Collins, I'll be pissed.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hopefully, Reynolds and Collins will be fit to play at training camp... I'd hate to see either one discarded without a thorough trial. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Jannings in training camp, though some other team may well snatch him up for that... he played for Boston in summer league as well. I guess that goes for Reynolds as well, since we have no real claim on him.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Last year the Suns carried 13 players for the majority of the season and picked up a 14th, Dwayne Jones after Lopez went down.

1. Nash 2. Richardson 3. Hill 4. Stoudemire 5. Lopez 6. Frye 7. Dudley 8. Barbosa 9. Dragic 10. Amundson 11. Collins 12. Clark 13. Griffin 14. Jones

According to reports the Suns will sign a back-up center as insurance in case Lopez goes down and Lawal is a lock to make the roster which brings us to 13 players already without taking into account Reynolds, Collins, and possibly Janning. Now that the Suns are safely under the luxury tax threshold, will Sarver be inclined to carry 15 players? It would be nice to have Lawal, Reynolds, and Collins on a steady D-league rotation.

1. Nash 2. Richardson 3. Hill 4. Turkoglu 5. Lopez 6. Frye 7. Dudley 8. Childress 9. Dragic 10. Warrick 11. Back-up center 12. Clark 13. Lawal 14. Reynolds? 15. Collins?

Oh and if Griffin is brought back instead of Reynolds of Collins, I'll be pissed.

Sounds about right, although I think it would make more sense to stash Collins in Europe.

Assuming they get another big, I would think he'd end up as the backup C/PF on at least a situational basis.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hopefully, Reynolds and Collins will be fit to play at training camp... I'd hate to see either one discarded without a thorough trial. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Jannings in training camp, though some other team may well snatch him up for that... he played for Boston in summer league as well. I guess that goes for Reynolds as well, since we have no real claim on him.

From what I understand, Reynolds requested to be on the Suns summer league team, so if the Suns are interested, I can't imagine Scottie saying no to any kind of offer.

I personally am a fan of his and would love for the Suns to sign him and get his rights.

Errntknght

Reaction score
From what I understand, Reynolds requested to be on the Suns summer league team, so if the Suns are interested, I can't imagine Scottie saying no to any kind of offer.

I personally am a fan of his and would love for the Suns to sign him and get his rights.

Okay, didn't know he sought out the Suns... so as long as we don't shilly-shally we should have the inside track with him.

I would like the Suns to get him, too... I'm hoping the Suns play a very uptempo game this year and having a third guard than can really push the ball up the floor would be great... almost a necessity since Nash is bound to miss some games and Dragic probably will.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take a look at Reynolds' plus-minus stats versus Dowdell's.

Game 3 against the D-league Reynolds had a +10 while Dowdell had a -2. The most recent game against Cleveland, Reynolds had a +1, Dowdell a -12. This supports my analysis after Game 3 when I said it appeared the offense bogged down when Dowdell was on the floor.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was thinking the Suns roster may have had something to do with Reynolds wanting to be on the Suns team(Gentry said there were 12-14 other teams trying to get him). The team has practically no play making when Reynolds isn't in. It's really giving him a chance to showcase his skills and impact on the team.

It has me wondering about Collins since they decided to draft him instead, or maybe they felt they had Reynolds on lock down.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought that Tyson Chandler would be good for the backup/insurance center role. Charlotte basically dumped his salary. What other backup C's are available?

KT, Kwame Brown,

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the Reynolds camp but I still like Janning. What makes Janning so attractive is he is 6'4" and can play both guard positions. I wouldn't be upset if the Suns kept Janning in case a trade scenario evolved with JRich. However, I think Reynolds is probably the better PG but Janning the better overall player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After watching all 4 games so far from Summer League, disappointment #1 has to be Earl Clark. He's not even the best player on his team, let alone on the floor, like he's "supposed" to be. I think Janning, Reynolds and Gani Lawal are all better players. I pushed hard for Clark last summer, and boy I'm regretting it more and more. He has the tools, but if he never realizes them, what's the point? In his favor, though, I have to say the coaching of this summer league team has been borderline criminal. Sorry, but Dan Majerle has no business being a head coach anywhere yet.

As for the other guys, I really, really like it when Reynolds and Janning are on the court on the same time. Reynolds looked like the best point guard BY FAR out there in both games. That probably has to do with the majority of the players in all positions trying their hardest to do nothing but score the basketball. I would venture to say that as far as point guard skills go, Reynolds isn't far away from Goran. I'm reserving judgement until training camp, but if Summer League is any indication, we MUST keep him.

Janning has a sweet stroke and can become a JJ Redick type player in the league. To me, he would definitely be a great 13th or 14th man on our roster to hang onto for emergencies and develop. He certainly has a lot more to offer than Taylor Griffin.

Finally, Gani Lawal. Tends to foul a lot, but I like his hustle and his desire. Many compare him to Lou, but I see a guy who is MUCH stronger than Lou--same type of commitment though. Really like him and see him sticking. Seeing Lawal and Earl next to each other, they are an intimidating pair, but on the court, Lawal outclasses Earl Clark in almost every way.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
We're gonna have to trade for another big man eventually. I can't imagine we're gonna try to go the full season with this many swing men on the roster.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
did i miss something? what's the "one more rumored trade???"

I suspect it is someone else on this board as the source. :bang:

Actually, the need for a rebounder is the least well kept secret in the NBA. Every reporter and commentator I've heard or read has figured it out.

The Suns need a robounder/defender. Ideally, he will be quick, very skilled and inexpensive. But I'm think a one year contract is ideal.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IThe Suns need a robounder/defender. Ideally, he will be quick, very skilled and inexpensive. But I'm think a one year contract is ideal.

Any rebounder/defender the Suns get on a one year deal will not play over the guys we already have. The only option for a power forward who could actually get playing time would be a trade most likely involving Richardson's expiring contract.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Any rebounder/defender the Suns get on a one year deal will not play over the guys we already have. The only option for a power forward who could actually get playing time would be a trade most likely involving Richardson's expiring contract.
Our need is a rebounder/defender to back up Lopez and be ready to step up should Lopez be injured again.

Anything less than a rebounder/defender at Center for 48 minutes per game is going to lose us games.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our need is a rebounder/defender to back up Lopez and be ready to step up should Lopez be injured again.

Anything less than a rebounder/defender at Center for 48 minutes per game is going to lose us games.

is there anything left to spend? The guy they really need is Kurt Thomas.

Joe

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Too bad Kenyon Martin is injured. If he makes it back before the season I would really like our trainers to polish him up. Plus he is an expiring contract that will get us a double double, great defense, and doesnt command the ball.

JRich, Clark

for

Martin, Affalo

Nash/Dragic/Reynolds
Hill/Childress/Affalo
Turk/Dudley
Martin/Warrick/Lawal
Lopez/Frye/TPE(Gortat?)

Legit 14 Deep and Defense like we have never seen before. Guaranteed #2 in West if not the Favorites!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
is there anything left to spend? The guy they really need is Kurt Thomas.

Joe
Agreed.
KT's free agent price tag cant be THAT high......i doubt the SUNS would have to throw very much money at him to come and play 15 mpg here. Kurt is coming off a $3.8 million salary and he's pushing 40...he'll play for peanuts IMO.

I'm telling ya, guys like KT aren't even on the SUNS radar. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Usually my starting point would be to look up his previous contract on Patricias, but the listing for KT is "???" Unfortunately, this means we are left with guessing.

He is currently a free agent who most recently played a year for the Bucks. Prior to that he played for the Spurs. At 38 it is obvious that no one is offering a long term contract. I'm not clear about why KT left the Spurs but his role was replaced by McDyess and Blair.

The Bucks had several bigs besides Bogut: Ersan Ilyasova 6.4 rpg in 23.4 minutes, Warrick 4.4 rpg in 21.3, Luc Mbah a Moute 5.5 rpt in 25.6 minutes, Kurt Thomas 4.2 rpg in 15 minutes.

The Bucks have added Gooden and of course lost Warrick. KT did a nice job, but I can't see them going very high to keep him.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Usually my starting point would be to look up his previous contract on Patricias, but the listing for KT is "???" Unfortunately, this means we are left with guessing.

He is currently a free agent who most recently played a year for the Bucks. Prior to that he played for the Spurs. At 38 it is obvious that no one is offering a long term contract. I'm not clear about why KT left the Spurs but his role was replaced by McDyess and Blair.

The Bucks had several bigs besides Bogut: Ersan Ilyasova 6.4 rpg in 23.4 minutes, Warrick 4.4 rpg in 21.3, Luc Mbah a Moute 5.5 rpt in 25.6 minutes, Kurt Thomas 4.2 rpg in 15 minutes.

The Bucks have added Gooden and of course lost Warrick. KT did a nice job, but I can't see them going very high to keep him.
He was part of the trade(KT,Bowen,Umberto) that sent Richard Jefferson to S.A.

IIRC

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned this on anther thread and I know his contract is a little pricey but I would fancy a J-Rich for Okafor swap. Okafor averages 10rpg & 1.55bpg for his career which would give us a defensive low post presence and above average rebounder. It's not like we are going to have top tier FA's beating down our door any time soon so his contract almost seems palatable.