ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm on the KAT train...I got league pass and watching all the wolves games
He's damn freaking good
D isn't top notch but damn CP3 would love the dude

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take the gamble if the Suns could swing the right deal for Bagley. He might be their starting power forward down the road.

Nothing he’s done suggest he’s a starting PF. By all accounts he’s pretty much quit, his defense is next level bad and his injury history is a mile long. He’s completely out of the rotation on the kings

If you get him it’s just a flat out gamble.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If you take Bagley, you are doubling down on Ayton. They may help each other, or they may sink to the lowest common denominator!!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing he’s done suggest he’s a starting PF. By all accounts he’s pretty much quit, his defense is next level bad and his injury history is a mile long. He’s completely out of the rotation on the kings

So you'd rather bet on Jalen Smith showing something?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These are the reasons he might be available otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you'd rather bet on Jalen Smith showing something?

I’m a perfect world I’d rather have Thad Young for Stix if we trade him. I wouldn’t even mind attaching some picks with him and maybe someone else for another scorer

The thing is we have an amazing locker room the last thing we need is a guy who by all accounts has quit, doesn’t work hard, plays no defense

It’s all the other stuff that comes with him that worries me and not only that he’s made of glass.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a perfect world I’d rather have Thad Young for Stix if we trade him. I wouldn’t even mind attaching some picks with him and maybe someone else for another scorer

The thing is we have an amazing locker room the last thing we need is a guy who by all accounts has quit, doesn’t work hard, plays no defense

It’s all the other stuff that comes with him that worries me and not only that he’s made of glass.

I read or heard someone in the media say they thought Thad Young was worth several second round picks. That's a lot to give up along with Saric and Smith for a 33 year old player.

If the Suns have given up on Stix then it might be another matter. I hope the Suns explore other trade and buyout options first.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read or heard someone in the media say they thought Thad Young was worth several second round picks. That's a lot to give up along with Saric and Smith for a 33 year old player.

If the Suns have given up on Stix then it might be another matter. I hope the Suns explore other trade and buyout options first.
Giving up Saric is the big deal IMO since Young is near the end of his career and Dario is in his prime. But since we're focusing primarily on this season and maybe the next, it's an understandable decision. I believe including a raw Jalen Smith plus multiple 2nd round picks matters little to this organization.

Jones is focused on players that are ready for the NBA and has no interest in developing young guys that are years away. I think most of our youth in the future (with JJ in charge) will be semi-developed players likely with 3 or 4 years of college or some minor league or overseas development.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Fourteen PPG game on a losing team is not impressive in itself but he earned his way onto the court to contribute regardless. To me if Jalen can't get off the bench this season (which it appears it's headed that way) how is this not a good move? I don't know why people think that in year 4 Jalen will somehow emerge into anything? How many players does it take until year 4 to sniff the court unless they are playing behind a star?
TBF he earned his way onto the court because he was on a bad team. Would he have earned his way onto the court on a championship contending team?

Not that I am particularly against the trade, I just don't think that argument of Bagley at least getting on the court is particularly strong.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again if Bagley and/or Young is the End Goal I'm not impressed.

I'd rather just keep an injured Dario and Stix for locker room continuity, then we can wait to see what pops up midseason for trades when Dario is closer to healthy and Stix has some stats(maybe).
TBO At this point I'd rather have Frank or DA play PF than taking a chance on a Bagley. Young will cost us too much for little return with his age and contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again if Bagley and/or Young is the End Goal I'm not impressed.

I'd rather just keep an injured Dario and Stix for locker room continuity, then we can wait to see what pops up midseason for trades when Dario is closer to healthy and Stix has some stats(maybe).
TBO At this point I'd rather have Frank or DA play PF than taking a chance on a Bagley. Young will cost us too much for little return with his age and contract.

I'd take Young, I think he could be a real help and we need the added depth.

Bagley though, I don't think brings depth, I think he'd quickly find himself glued to the bench, just like he is in Sacramento. Or he'd get injured again, he's spent more than half his career on the injured list.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giving up Saric is the big deal IMO since Young is near the end of his career and Dario is in his prime. But since we're focusing primarily on this season and maybe the next, it's an understandable decision. I believe including a raw Jalen Smith plus multiple 2nd round picks matters little to this organization.

Jones is focused on players that are ready for the NBA and has no interest in developing young guys that are years away. I think most of our youth in the future (with JJ in charge) will be semi-developed players likely with 3 or 4 years of college or some minor league or overseas development.

It's the package as a whole. I don't thnk Smith is years away and there is a slim chance Saric might be back for the playoffs. I'm probably one of the few that value second round picks but there is that too.

Of course I want the Suns to fill the 15th slot but not at the cost of their future. The Suns do have the partial MLE for a buyout and might be able to do a lesser trade. Maybe there is a trade that doesn't have to include both players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we got a young guy who played like Mcgee does, at PF, blocks or alters shots, hustles for rebounds, and runs the court for easy buckets, I think that's all we need at PF. JUst a younger version of Mcgee that can play longer stretvhes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we got a young guy who played like Mcgee does, at PF, blocks or alters shots, hustles for rebounds, and runs the court for easy buckets, I think that's all we need at PF. JUst a younger version of Mcgee that can play longer stretvhes.

I like McGee, but there are quite a few moments where you are reminded why he is a reserve on a small contract. He has a ton of hustle... he also does things like; get the ball in the paint, have 3 guys collapse on him and decide the solution to this predicament is to attempt an 8 foot layup while falling sideways.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like McGee, but there are quite a few moments where you are reminded why he is a reserve on a small contract. He has a ton of hustle... he also does things like; get the ball in the paint, have 3 guys collapse on him and decide the solution to this predicament is to attempt an 8 foot layup while falling sideways.
Yup. He’s best in a really confined role. The more you give him the more the looney starts to creep out onto the court.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a lot more thought put into the JaVale signing than has been revealed. He wasn't the best backup available overall but he was the best for what they hope he can do to influence Ayton.

JaVale has no fear on the court and while I'm not sure if it's it fear with Ayton but there's something holding him back. They're really opposites of each other in terms of what you'll get from them each night. JaVale goes all out for every minute he's out there and Ayton settles for the first easy opportunity that presents itself, which is often dish it back out. The 2 are so different in what to expect that it changes our team dramatically, especially on offense because JaVale doesn't stand still and Ayton only moves when he's called to set a pick. Its going to be interesting to compare the 2 all season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a lot more thought put into the JaVale signing than has been revealed. He wasn't the best backup available overall but he was the best for what they hope he can do to influence Ayton.

JaVale has no fear on the court and while I'm not sure if it's it fear with Ayton but there's something holding him back. They're really opposites of each other in terms of what you'll get from them each night. JaVale goes all out for every minute he's out there and Ayton settles for the first easy opportunity that presents itself, which is often dish it back out. The 2 are so different in what to expect that it changes our team dramatically, especially on offense because JaVale doesn't stand still and Ayton only moves when he's called to set a pick. Its going to be interesting to compare the 2 all season.

I don't think anyone is bashing him or the signing. He just has moments where he shows why he was available for so cheap and why he probably shouldn't play for more that 15-20 minutes per game.

However, Ayton and McGee are a study in opposites. While they're both good defenders (Ayton is better, despite the block numbers), McGee, with all his hustle, would often be better off showing a bit of patience, looking for the open teammate instead of attacking the triple team. Meanwhile, Ayton, if he just busted his but in offensive transition like McGee does would probably score several more points per game, IF he attacked defenders instead of looking for someone to pass to he would also score several more points per game. Ayton has far more talent, he could score like Amare did... he just doesn't have the mindset to attack.

I know Kobe once said about Shaq that the thing that separated Shaq from so many other skilled, strong, big men is that Shaq wasn't shy about it, he wasn't worried about running people over, he enjoyed bulldozing people. If only that was something that could be taught.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

McGee was not signed to “influence” Ayton. It’s not going to be interesting comparing them Ayton is on a different level and it’s not even debatable.

McGee is great for what he does and that’s a hustle effort guy who can give you a solid 10-15 a game. That’s it. If he was viewed as a starter he would of been a lot more expensive. Your blinded by the flash plays McGee makes, but he makes a ton of mistakes

You are severely underrating Ayton and overrating McGee.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose