Rose Bowl Game Thread

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O said:
Good game.

Great game, lived up to the hype.

I have to hand it to Carroll for going for it on 4th down. Some might say it cost him, but I think Young would've driven them 99 yards for the winning score if he had too. It was their best chance to win.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Where were Carroll's balls when Texas drove the entire length of the field in about 90 seconds to get the game within striking distance? The conservative defensive playcalling on that drive cost the Trojans the championship in my opinion. Oh well, I had gotten tired of every Trojan fans sense of entitlement anyways.

Congrats, Horns!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The game could of possibly turned out different if Bush hadn't made a bone head decision.

Still a good way to end the college season.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Vince is still running. That was absolutely insane. I've never seen so many guys just look like they were standing still on a football field.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am just so glad USC lost.

Great game, the BCS worked at least for this game.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow what a fun game to watch...

Vince Young had over 200 yards rushing! :shock:

He threw 40 times, and no sacks. Props to the Oline!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a game! That was awesome!

We watched it with my father-in-law. He was pulling for USC and we were pulling for Texas. :D

Matt who? Vince Young is the man! :thumbup:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
YYYYEEEESSSSSSs!!!!!!!

DOWN GOES USC!!!!

Vince Young....wow.

I cant imagine that anyone would think that Vince WOULDNT run it on that 4th and 5.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Look back at the posts starting after ASU lost to USC, 38-28.. I said then and will, since Lady Providence proved me right, continue with the Leinert[?] v
Young, Leinert v Bush comparisons not favoring Leinert[for Heisman, as well as best all-around player, and best QB].. Last night once again he got blasted on a clean hit, out for a few plays, and USC panics, just like in the ASU-USC game..ASU[Arizona State University], just couldn't tear it up like like Texas did! :thud: My sound was "off" all night on the TV, but with nearly 400 total yards, Vince Young had to have Dan Fouts talking him up pretty well.Any Quotes out there from Ol' Dan??

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That was entertainment. Us east coast folks can get some sleep now.

...but..... Oh Nellie

Keith Jackson needs to call it a career. Great College football announcer, but it is time to hang it up. He didn't have a clue. Dan Fouts was very good.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Great game. Vince Young seemed really calm or really overconfident on his scores. NO emotion or anything.

Bush seemed to be held in check except for that one td run.

Why did they not review youngs Lateral that he was clearly down? Should USC have someone watching the replays. Judging by how the game went, i'm not sure they could have stopped them, but it ended up hurting them pretty bad becuase of that non-cal.

Fun to watch. Now the agaony of the next 8 months until games start again:)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than post on the Cards forum I'll post on this thread.

Last night I said going on 4th down was a huge mistake, I still would have punted but I can easily defend Carroll's decision. I will say this, Carrolls decisions backfired last night, coaching was a huge key in this game.

Point 1, first half Young laterals for the TD, knee clearly down, replay after replay showing it, but apparently nobody on USC noticed or they would have gladly traded a timeout to stop play so the officials reviewed it. Maybe Texas still scores a TD that drive but you never know.

Point 2, USC goes for it and misses on 4th down, creating a first down TExas with 2:09 to go at their own 44 yard line. Now just replay this and assume USC runs the clock down, takes the delay of game, and punts. Even if they don't nail the coffin corner, if they punt into the endzone it come out to the 20. That's 24 more yards Texas needs, in about 30 less seconds(because you run the clock down). The way Young was playing last night he may still win the game, but it's a lot tougher.

Point 3, can't blame Carroll I don't think he asked for it but how can they call the last timeout on a 2 point conversion? Even if Texas gets that the game's not over, they can tie with a FG. They HAVE to have that timeout and you gotta wonder how such an experienced and well coached unit made that mistake. In the end, the coach takes the fall for that.

But to really nitpick the turning point in the game was Bush trying to lateral, if he just goes down it really seemed like USC would have scored again and just taken over the game completely.

What a great game.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I thought going for it on 4th down in the first quarter was a bigger blunder. Why not kick the FG and go up by 10? The FG would have been under 40 yards. And then to run a QB sneak there was a terrible call. You think SC could have used those 3 points at the end of the game?

I agree that Bush's lateral was really the turning point. He hung his head the rest of the game and was never the same player. Holding Bush to 82 yards rushing and not allowing him to break any really long ones was the key to Texas winning IMO.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Oh well, I had gotten tired of every Trojan fans sense of entitlement anyways.
Me too. I was sort of half-way rooting for SC because they are in the PAC-10, but I'm glad now that they lost.

The USC fans were getting much too arrogant. They needed to be brought down a peg or two.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that 4th down,I really feel Carroll did not trust his defense to stop Young if they punted back to Texas. If he gets the 1st down, he is a genius. He liked his own offense more than his own defense, but by not getting the 1st down, Texas had a short field. Hell it almost worked out. Missed the 1st by inches and Young scored on 4th and goal from the 8.

BYW, Bush was on the bench for the 4th and 2 play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
I thought going for it on 4th down in the first quarter was a bigger blunder. Why not kick the FG and go up by 10? The FG would have been under 40 yards. And then to run a QB sneak there was a terrible call. You think SC could have used those 3 points at the end of the game?

I agree that Bush's lateral was really the turning point. He hung his head the rest of the game and was never the same player. Holding Bush to 82 yards rushing and not allowing him to break any really long ones was the key to Texas winning IMO.

Yep the whole problem is Bush went in motion which was supposed to bring the safety and or LB with him opening up the middle for Leinart. But they run that play so much Texas didn't budge. Better to have Bush behind him to push him forward.

Carroll always goes for it in those situations, but at some point in the game you have to play clock and field position which is why the 4th and 2 bugged me so much. It's simple math 20 more yards (at least, could have been a lot more with a good punt) and 30 less seconds means a lot more pressure on Young.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
against Hawaii and Pac 10 defenses, not Texas.

I think he went for it on 4th early against ND too. I think he should have punted but he is right that if they get the first the game is over. Just didn't work.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would have been pissed if USC had won and started that 3 peat crap.

Especially since the 2003-04 National Championship was technically won by LSU.;)